ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-05-2011, 08:11 AM   #23
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookerM3 View Post
I would suggest option 2 with the diagonal brace in the main hoop. The
diagonal brace makes the cage much safer for the driver in a role over.

As for the other comments made on the topic of transforming a Street car
to potentially a racecar over time, its is much more expensive. You end up
replacing the same parts over and over again as you car transforms to its
final stage. This said the journey is a great learning experience.(especially
if you do much of the work yourself)

As for make the Z4M competitive, anything is possible with enough money,
time and effort.
Thanks BookerM3.
I will definitely be using the diagonal brace. Thank you for the earlier link the Z4 coupe race build too, what an awesome build

As for the new topic that seems to have materialized, I appreciate what you had to say. You get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
Has it occurred to any of you nay-sayers that Chris is doing all of this to garner the experience and end up with an exceptionally unique and superfine ride? I'm sure the cost of doing this doesn't keep him up at night, and I'm pretty positive he couldn't give a rats-ass about re-sale or penny-pinching. If so, I'm sure he probably would have went down the stereotypical race-build of an E36 or Miata. If you still question why he's doing this and suggest these rides... then you've totally missed the point.

I say go for it. Your car is already one of the nicest around on these forums, and will continue to be the standard set for a lot of people. I'm sure what you end up with will give more than enough people a wicked run for the money, while maintaining a one-of-a-kind feel.

And don't mention Porsches around Serious, as it will derail this entire thread.
Good man,
Thank you for the kind words.
You understand exactly where I am coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBroker View Post
Well said.
agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by arggg45 View Post
Exactly. I'm working on building mine for a class that many view as "Spec C5ZO6" i.e. NASA TTA. I don't think that the effort has been taken by a Z4M owner to build a TT car to the fullest extent of the rules.

Mathematically, should it be competitive? Yes. Realistically, will it be competitive? It depends on how many hundreds or thousands of hours it is going to take to get the build exactly right, the setup exactly right, and the day the driver has.

Do I understand that I am throwing money into modifications into a car that will never recoup their value? Yes, the car is a depreciating asset. I have no intentions of ever selling it.
Now we're talking. It's not about the money; it's about the potential of the M coupe. I look forward to following your build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
Chris,

Have you talked to this guy: http://www.rollcageguy.com/

He is the one who did that really nice setup on the MC I saw/talked to in Feb at VIR and if I remember correctly that setup is similar to what you what.
Thanks, this is why I love the post, so much good info.
I have not talked to him, but I will definitely look him up. Thank you for you for the tip.
      10-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #24
Diokaef
Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235I 2015, 335i 2011

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [6.33]
Hey Chris can you post that cage that we designed or email me the drawings?

Thank's man!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #25
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
All very good points, on both sides. I was there 5-6 years ago in my Honda NSX/S2000 days. I went with a full cage and bolt-in. Downside is I lost legroom and overall space. As I get older I wouldn't do a full cage unless I had a racecar only. I would not put it on a street car again. I had dumped about $40,000 into a $80,000 car and it went to my exwife who sold it for pennies. So I see where some of the guys are coming from. Was my streetcar competitive? Somewhat. Faster than my Z4M? Yes modified, No in stock trim. It was a hobby of mine and a learning experience for the most part. I had fun but my priorites have changed with my job, family, and life to the point where modifying cars and racing just does not hold the interest it once did. Working on a new house, boat, and family is where my priorities are now. I still love tinkering with the Z4M though. Cool car.

I say do what you want, its your money and car but just realize that there may be a slim chance that a new Z4M comes out and you may want to move onto that.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #26
crfine88
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diokaef View Post
Hey Chris can you post that cage that we designed or email me the drawings?

Thank's man!
No problem man, I will get it over to you before the end of the week. I may need to re-draw it because of some issues I am having with my computer

Cheers
      10-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #27
crfine88
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessZ4M View Post
All very good points, on both sides. I was there 5-6 years ago in my Honda NSX/S2000 days. I went with a full cage and bolt-in. Downside is I lost legroom and overall space. As I get older I wouldn't do a full cage unless I had a racecar only. I would not put it on a street car again. I had dumped about $40,000 into a $80,000 car and it went to my exwife who sold it for pennies. So I see where some of the guys are coming from. Was my streetcar competitive? Somewhat. Faster than my Z4M? Yes modified, No in stock trim. It was a hobby of mine and a learning experience for the most part. I had fun but my priorites have changed with my job, family, and life to the point where modifying cars and racing just does not hold the interest it once did. Working on a new house, boat, and family is where my priorities are now. I still love tinkering with the Z4M though. Cool car.

I say do what you want, its your money and car but just realize that there may be a slim chance that a new Z4M comes out and you may want to move onto that.
I was really looking for feedback on the cage designs themselve since I had already made the choice to do it
Sounds like your NSX was a monster, sorry for your loss. I know what it's like to loose projects that you have put a lot of blood and sweat into to an EX
Sound like you landed on your feet though