ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Trip to the Smoky Mountains

1000th post!

I'm planning a road trip to the Smoky Mountains region (TN/NC) this weekend and was wondering if folks who've been to the area have any recommendations for roads to drive and places to see. I'll be hitting the The Dragon (probably a few times!) and the Blue Ridge Parkway but I'd love to hear some recommendations that might be under the radar too. My trip there takes me through Kentucky and eastern Tennessee and I wouldn't mind taking a few detours, time allowing. Here's the route that I’ve tentatively planned (we’re staying the night in Pigeon Forge):

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...d798b33862aad4

Any other advice you might have to offer for a prospective visitor would be helpful too. Potential hazards like unpaved/bad roads, law enforcement, wildlife, etc. would be good to know about. I’m not planning to drive much after sundown.

I’ll be leaving Saturday morning and coming back on Tuesday. Hoping for not too much traffic this weekend. The weather looks to be perfect windows-down driving weather, so I’ll be packing the V1, GoPro, and an iPod full of tunes.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
pelerojo
Private
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4M

i am headed that way this weekend as well. It should be good weather but cold through Sun then warm. Good route. If you access the ZCCA site (Zfest homecoming) it has a number of great drives in the area mapped out with turns and times. I like The Diamondback and Ceasars Head drives. Have fun.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 11:34 AM   #3
dekaliber
Major
Rep

Thanks for the tip! I think the Moonshiner 28 is doable for me -- the others may be a bit out of the way, but we'll see how much my appetite for driving is when I get there.

Wave if you see a black coupe!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
AUTOX08MC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M4

note: I65 bridge over Ohio River into Kentucky is closed...big delays. Suggest I65 to hwy 256 east to Madison, Indiana, cross Ohio river there...Have a good trip
2003 Subaru WRX (Sold),1996 Mustang Cobra (Sold)
1986 Dodge Shelby Charger (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 01:50 PM   #5
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

The road from Gatlinburg through the Smokey Mountain park is quite fun(441). I wished I had my sports car when I ran it in my wife's Q7 last time.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 04:31 PM   #6
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

I grew up around there!! (Dandridge/White Pine) Expect traffic getting INTO the mountains to be hell (Pigeon Forge) but once get past Gatlinburg it's beautiful. Take a trip up to Cade's Cove. I was young when we went, but we use to go up to the mtn's all the time. I don't think there's any specific route you should take, it's all amazing.

If you're comign down through Kentucky, go down through Cumberland Gap Tunnel. I believe it's 25E, but I'm not 100% without looking it up. If you go as far east as Lexington, you can catch 75 and exit 25(ish) is Corbin and that's where you can get on 25. The tunnel is pretty long (almost a mile) and that whole trip (25E) is beautiful. Then you can swing back around and catch 40 or take some back roads. 25 will take you all the through to Morristown/White Pine then you can catch 92 into Sevierville and head the 'back' way into the mountains. I can give you so many back roads to get around, it's not even funny. lol Wanna see the Bush's Bean factory? lmao! about 5 miles from where I grew up.

Dandridge is the second oldest town in TN, though you wouldn't know it once you drive through. 'downtown' is still historic, but it's been built up in the surrounding areas.

I could ramble on about that area for a long time, so let me know what you're plans are and maybe I could help plan a decent route for ya!

I didn't see your map above before i posted. I notice you are coming through lexington then going west of knoxville. Here's the map from Corbin, exit 29 getting onto 25E going through the Cumberland Gap Tunnel and continuing down to 92. There's some twisties that would be AMAZING in an M Coupe/Roadie and I have yet to have my car back there yet. There's a stretch of road along Hwy 92. If you zoom in here is the stretch I'm talking about. I used to live down this road and it was ridden every day to and from school, as well as my lead-footed grandpa anywhere we went. It doesn't look too twistie on the map, but I assure you it's plenty fun. I've had a couple aunts get sick while riding with grandpa! And if you continue down this route you can meet up with Hwy 411 that'll take you through Newport and into Pigeon Forge.

Just letting you know what I know and would love to drive once I get my car back to the states and home again.

ENJOY YOUR TRIP! And take pics!!!

Oh and you mentioned hazards...Knoxville has been under construction since I can remember...Avoid 40/640 through there at all costs unless you want to spend some time in Knoxville. lol

Last edited by 007MCoupe; 09-30-2011 at 08:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 11:20 PM   #7
dekaliber
Major
Rep

Guys, thanks for the tips! This is great.

007MCoupe, I like the road you suggested and I think I'm going to check it out on my way back. That seems perfect as I'll get to enjoy the fun roads on both sides of Knoxville. Looks like I'll be staying clear of the interstates either way.

Here's the road I'm planning to take around the park. Depending on how much time we have I may not be able to get through all of it, but please let me know if you have any better suggestions.

My iternary is roughly this:

Day 1, Saturday: Head out around noon tomorrow (I have some obligations that prevent me from leaving earlier), make it to Louisville by dusk and spend the night there.

Day 2, Sunday: Leave first thing in the morning. The route I planned is about 8.5 hours so I expect to get to the Smoky Mountains area by mid afternoon. Will probably try to check out the Tail of the Dragon then, and get back to to the hotel in Pigeon Forge by dusk.

Day 3, Monday: Drive around the park. May go for a hike to change it up. May start heading back towards Chicago to cut down on the driving on Tuesday. Maybe get as far as Corbin, KY.

Day 4, Tuesday: The long boring drive back home.

AUTOX08MC, thanks for the tip about I-65 being closed over the river. Your suggested route looks great. Some twisties around there too it looks like.

As I'm planning on spending the night in Louisville tomorrow, I'll have more time to plan. Please post anything else during that time as I'll definitely check it out tomorrow!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2011, 12:45 AM   #8
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

Haha sounds good. The awesome thing about those TN backroads...there's no cops. Maybe b/c there's no room for cops to hide! haha but you'll have your V1 anyway :evilgrin: