ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Aural Pleasure: Thoughts?

So after much debate, I've narrowed my choices to increase the sound of my Z4M (a little, not too much) to the Remus exhaust or the Gruppe M intake.

I like the Remus because it doesn't have drone, sounds great and not too much more than stock, but with a good, deep tone.

I like the Gruppe M because it looks great, has a great tone that reminds me of my old Conforti Intake, is easier to install and again, has that great, deep tone.

I don't want to spend more than $1,200 for sound, so both would fit in my budget. I'm not interested in any other exhausts, or the aFe intake.

So which one would give me the best aural pleasure for my money?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

Exhaust. Sounds good at start up and driving. Looks good 24/7 even when parked. Weight saving.

Intake. Sounds good only at driving. Looks good only when you open the hood.

Exhaust > Intake.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeD4Mr View Post
Exhaust. Sounds good at start up and driving. Looks good 24/7 even when parked. Weight saving.

Intake. Sounds good only at driving. Looks good only when you open the hood.

Exhaust > Intake.
That's a really good way to put it.

I prefer the Remus because I don't want any drone, or else I would go with the RE Diablos. I also don't want anything much louder than stock, just a little louder, which leads me to Remus as well.

The Gruppe also wouldn't have any drone, which is good. And isn't obnoxiously loud.

I do like the looks of the stock exhaust though. I think it really balances the car and the Remus cans would be smaller, and black, and not as visible.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

I have the GruppeM, and had it on for a few months before I installed my exhaust. The intake will give you an amazing sound above 4K, anything below that and it's very subtle...but man when you hit that 4K mark...it is pure heaven. Worth every $ spent in my opinion.

Exhaust gives a great sound, but in my experience, the Remus sounds different only when you really step on it, and during higher RPMs. ZeD4Mr gives really good points above though, weight savings are good, but to be honest the Remus sounds so similar at startup to OEM it's hard to tell. I'm sure you've already seen the exhaust comparison video we did a few months back, you can get a good sense of how it sounds compared to OEM there.

If it were my choice between those two exact items, I'd actually go with GruppeM.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

Gferil, did you have the Remus installed?

So you would say the Gruppe M is louder above 4k than the Remus exhaust?

Either way, it won't sound "that" much different than stock unless I put the hammer down and get > 4k rpm's?

I did have the aFe installed for a little while, would the Gruppe M sound really take effect in the same power band?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #6
gferil
Captain
Rep

No, but there is a local here that I hung out with a few times that had the Remus, and I also sold him my aFe. We rode around in each others cars and he was part of that exhaust video we did.

I'd say it was about the same from the cabin (GruppeM vs. Remus), but outside the car, the Remus was louder (his car was much louder when I was standing outside of it compared to when I was riding in it).

You might want to get more opinions from people that own Remus to comment on the sound above and below 4K, mine was only from a few rides and meet ups.

Yeah, I've had both intakes, and they do really sound vastly different. The aFe was loud and more bassy, the GruppeM wasn't as loud but the overall sound was just way more exotic and detailed. aFe was more of a roar, GruppeM was more of a growl. But yes, the sound is roughly in the same RPM range...aFe started getting louder at a lower RPM than GruppeM, but the GruppeM sounded louder at above 7K to me.

Also, I know there is a local here that is trying the DKF hangers, plus dynamat'ing his trunk with his RE Diablo setup. When he finishes that I'm sure there will be a writeup on how it affects the drone.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

Thanks gferil,

Sounds like either would be a good option and I can't lose any way.

Maybe I'll just let chance decide and buy whichever one comes up first in the classifieds!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 05:30 PM   #8
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

...thought you had a typo in the thread title at first
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
I'd go exhaust, because if u think the aFe robbed u of power... The GruppeM will likewise (even tho neither is true).
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #10
gferil
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
I'd go exhaust, because if u think the aFe robbed u of power... The GruppeM will likewise (even tho neither is true).
True, neither aFe or the GruppeM were as smooth as OEM with the RPi scoop. I did a short write up here somewhere in this section of the forum comparing the three, and while the GruppeM didn't exhibit as much loss as the aFe, OEM still felt the smoothest. I did feel like there was a little more punch with the butt dyno at the extreme high end, but you had to be breaking speed limits to feel it.

Plus if you look at my dynos I just posted of stock vs. intake/scoop/exhaust, you'll see that there was a dip right around 3K in power and the power was much less "smooth" with those upgrades, but seemed to gain more above 6K. I'm going to go down to the garage and upload the Evolve tune now though...so we'll see how that goes.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 12:59 AM   #11
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gferil View Post
I'd say it was about the same from the cabin (GruppeM vs. Remus), but outside the car, the Remus was louder (his car was much louder when I was standing outside of it compared to when I was riding in it).
This is absolutely spot on and that is the exact reason why I'm hesitant in getting the Remus for the MC. I have it on my X5 (I know it's not the same) and from inside the cabin, it sounds OE-ish. However, people had commented that it is louder when standing outside the car. But from inside the cabin, I can't really tell that I have an aftermarket exhaust.

I'm currently in the same boat as the OP...can't decide if I want the intake or exhaust. I'm really starting to like the look of the OE exhaust after painting them black. However, I would still like to get a bit more sound out of them and get some larger tips...something like the eisenmann 83mm guns.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 05:42 AM   #12
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

I'll throw it out there. What about headers than?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 09:23 AM   #13
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

I have headers on a stock system and I love it. Slightly more rasp and rawness and no drone. It would could cost more than 1,200 but you said you didn't want to spend that on just sound. Headers are sound AND performance.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #14
gferil
Captain
Rep

Ohhh...headers...that's a great suggestion for the OP! And from hearing OEM mufflers with just headers, it does make it louder and give it more growl, again...reference that exhaust comparo vid!

And XMetal, you should just go to an exhaust shop and have them weld bigger tips on there!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #15
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind32 View Post
I have headers on a stock system and I love it. Slightly more rasp and rawness and no drone. It would could cost more than 1,200 but you said you didn't want to spend that on just sound. Headers are sound AND performance.
Was thinking maybe "ebay" headers, having them checked by a professional welder and then ceramic coated?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #16
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

I have SS V2 stepped, jet hotted and I love them. No experience with Ebay headers.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #17
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
I've heard mixed things about Ebay headers. Almost all have fitment issues. After seeing headers heat up red hot on the dyno, I'll only put quality headers on my cars. Go used!

There are some excellent AA Gen IV headers for sale on the forums. I would be all over them if I wasn't about to leave the country for 6 months.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 09:27 PM   #18
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

So, I'm back to my original choices, but want to include the Diablos and Stromung exhausts.

Let me give you what I am thinking of each one and get some opinions or see if I am correct:

Diablo: loudest out of all. IS THIS THE BASSIEST/GROWL? Afraid of drone with my drop top.

Gruppe M: Easiest to install, great above 4k, gives an amazing growl.

Remus: May be too soft, gives a good deep bass with no drone.

Stromung: May be too raspy?
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 12:41 PM   #19
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

I think Grouppe M/Remus would be the best bet for a non-annoying car with great, refined sound
      08-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #20
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

Stromung has no rasp and no drone. Good bassy tone. More civil than the Magnaflow setup I had before; however, Magnaflow has more volume and some drone 1800~2200..
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #21
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Anyone able to give their opinion on Stromung compared to Remus?
Appreciate 0