ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-12-2007, 06:33 PM   #1
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Finally! Done deal.

It's taken literally 3 months, but I'm finally a Z4 M Coupe owner. I pick her up tomorrow afternoon.

Wound up scoring the car for $49.8k (list $55,020 - I-blue over black, premium, carbon leather trim) and getting the full trade value that I'd been holding out for on my 330i (we were $5k apart on the trade AND at a higher asking price for the car when this all started). So I'm a happy camper, the DEALERship is happy to unload a slow-selling M, and the world is a better place. Did a 60-month finance through Chase at considerably better rate than BMWFS is currently offering with equity from the 3 and a few grand in cash tossed in, leaving me with a very manageable payment.

This morning was my first test drive, and it was all over within moments - I HAD to have the car. I've driven E46 M3's, and Z4 ragtops, but not the marriage of the two in the M Coupe. Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed, in fact it exceeded expectations in a few areas - such as interior room/comfort, and outward visibility, which was much better than I anticipated.

Pics within a few days.. need to hook up tint & clear bra this week, and order a set of coco mats.. then she'll be (mostly) done.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH baby!!
      08-12-2007, 06:53 PM   #2
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Sweet :rocks: Nice to hear you got what you wanted, and were able to utilize the August Trunk Money. Rock on, mate!

Get your dealership to throw in some ///M mats!
      08-12-2007, 06:58 PM   #3
Cliff3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Pics within a few days.. need to hook up tint & clear bra this week, and order a set of coco mats.. then she'll be (mostly) done.
Famous last words...

Congrats on the new car
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 07:13 PM   #4
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff3 View Post
Famous last words...

Congrats on the new car
KevinC - Congratz on the new ride... & welcome to the ownership asylum
BTW... I agree with Cliff;
If you think it stops with "tint & clear bra this week, and order a set of coco mats." you're in for a surprise.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2007, 07:32 PM   #5
Vroomer
Injected with a poison
Rep
Drives: Pick one

Awesome! welcome to the club!
      08-12-2007, 08:01 PM   #6
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
BTW... I agree with Cliff;
If you think it stops with "tint & clear bra this week, and order a set of coco mats." you're in for a surprise.
I've been winding down my modding days for the last decade or so. My outgoing 330i is bone stock, other than Pilot Sport PS2's (which are coming off in favor of the original RFT's and will be sold) and the leather shorter OEM shift knob. I **might** put some wheels on the M eventually - BBS RGR's would be my likely choice - but I'm in no hurry, the car is TITS right out of the showroom. Still amazed that I finally pulled this off, it has taken months of patience for the deal to be right.
      08-12-2007, 08:59 PM   #7
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep

Hmmm... come to think of it, I started with the tint & clearbra, and mats...

Good Luck, KevinC
      08-12-2007, 10:11 PM   #8
Cliff3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post
Hmmm... come to think of it, I started with the tint & clearbra, and mats...

Good Luck, KevinC
No tint here.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 01:00 AM   #9
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here are some Day 1 impressions.. I've driven about 80 miles at this point...

The ride home from the dealership was in stop-and-go freeway traffic at an outside temp of about 113. The AC is awesome! And by the time I was halfway home, I felt the car was easier to drive smoothly in heavy traffic than my E90 330i was. The CDV isn't bothering me at all, whereas in the 3 it was a complete nightmare.

I absolutely LOVE the climate controls - by far the best of any I've ever had in any car. Why? The sheer simplicity. Auto mode if you want it (I'll rarely/never use it most likely). Easy to adjust. Intuitive. Nice dials. The way all climate controls should all be.

I was trying to describe the engine's music to a friend - best short description I could come up with was "angry - and expensive". Absolutely the best sound track I've heard short of perhaps the current M5 V10.

Xenons are excellent, better illumination and coverage than my 3 had.

I'm hearing a ticking of sorts at around 2800-3000 rpm, which then seems to die off as revs climb. Doesn't sound like any sort of death rattle, but doesn't sound natural either. Perhaps it's just the fuel injectors?

Factory wheel balance job is lousy. I have a mild shake at about 80. Looked at the driver's side wheels and both have a buttload of large wheel weights on them.. not good. I'll probably have them road-force balanced, but I'm concerned that the wheel finish will be boogered where the existing weights get yanked from.

Disappointed to find that the radio display (non-nav) can't display MP3 titles or directory names. Bummer. I assume that nav-equipped cars can do this? ALMOST makes me wish I'd have opted for nav (almost - but not quite). Sound is OK, not as good as I'd hoped based on the "Carver technology" hype, but then again I haven't played around with any of the settings yet other than bass/treble briefly. More tweaking will probably improve it.

LOVE the fat steering wheel, shifter, little pads around the back of the armrest that are actually so ideally placed that I don't feel the need for the LeatherZ console (though some storage space would be nice). Chassis rigidity is off the charts. Ride quality is just fine for such a purposeful beast. Visibility is not bad at all straight out the back and over the right shoulder, but the blind spot over the left shoulder is pretty severe. Solution? Check mirror, then boot the go-pedal briefly so that anything that might be in my blind spot is quickly banished to the rear, where my side mirror picks it up. Seems like a good solution.

When the car was delivered today, it had Z4 logo'd mats in it. I immediately politely protested and asked for //M mats. My SA's assistant, who was performing the delivery dance, started calling around inside and getting the runaround. I think they're upstairs, no they're downstairs, no stock, do you want to order them? Finally she called someone who came out with a set and they were swapped. Yeah, that's the ticket!

I haven't stood on it yet (obviously) nor even had any twisty adventures at all, so the best is yet to come. So far, first day impressions are at or beyond expectations. Rock on!
      08-14-2007, 01:10 AM   #10
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep

Nice to see another happy customer. :rocks: All that's left now is

I think the 2800-3400rpm noise is the Double Vanos at work? Absolutely normal.

Nice score on the ///M mats. I ended up changing mine to a rubbermat (made by WeatherTech) and am keeping the ///M mats as a souvenir.
      08-14-2007, 05:57 AM   #11
155MPH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive28i M Performance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post

When the car was delivered today, it had Z4 logo'd mats in it. I immediately politely protested and asked for //M mats.

I wish I had thought of that. Mine came with the Z4 mats too. I have been thinking about replacing them with the M mats. I figured I would get some wear out of the Z4 mats first though.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 06:43 AM   #12
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post
I think the 2800-3400rpm noise is the Double Vanos at work? Absolutely normal.
^+1 on the Double Vanos.
"The noise some people hear is the result of tolerances that make the sprocket wiggle a bit as the cup gear is moved in or out."

It's completely normal, you'll get used to it
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0