ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-09-2007, 01:31 PM   #1
johnson_ga
George
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sports - Now sold

Garage List
Why is the Z4M not popular in the UK?

Currently looking to change my E90 330i Sports (horrible rough ride from sports suspension and run flats - also very boring to drive - unlike my E46 330Ci).

Looking at a second hand Z4M Coupe, and have been in touch with dealer network who tells me that there are a selection of March '07 registered ones which are now £35000 (£45000 6 months ago) with only 900 miles on the clock. There's even a 30 day old one with £7.5K off the price - that's HUGE depreciation! He also has a Z4M (roadster) sitting on his forecourt (56 reg) which hasn't had the door opened in 6 months dispite a recent £5000 drop in price! What is it with these cars that (a) they are depreciating more rapidly than even an E46 M3 and (b) why are they not shifting faster than they should - this is a great and classic sports car after all! Is it that they are better on the track than the road, people have preferred to go for 911 instead, the CO2 emissions place it in the top '4X4' tax bracket (at 298g CO2/Km - band G - £300 p/a this year and £400 next year), or there's something else not quite right with them.

Help! I need to make up my mind tonight and make a choice on this or my alternative (non BMW). I'd like to hear from owners why I should still go ahead with buying the Z4M Coupe.

My last 3 cars have been BMWs, will be tough to leave the fold!

Many thanks.
      08-09-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

If faced with the decision again, after 13 months of ownership - I would do it again. I had a 330 M Performance "ZHP" for two prior years. I suspect the ride of the Z4MC is quite harsh on some of the back roads of Britain. Let's face it, I don't believe BMW ever expected any mass appeal for these cars and perhaps some over exuberant Dealers simply mis-judged the demand and over ordered. BMW has basically been making to order, not to forecast or inventory numbers.

Dave
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 02:02 PM   #3
ronn888
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

The car is great, but the price for new was too high for many in the segment. Here in the US the markdowns were huge, but personally I feel this brings it in line with what is in the marketplace. I picked up a leftover '06 roadster from a BMW dealer just over a month ago and got over $10k off msrp. This justified the car for me because it brought the car inline pricing wise to a boxster, Audi TT, etc.

I love the car, and now that it's passed the dreadful break in period, it's even better. It's going to come down to personal preference. It's almost nice that it's not common and you don't see it at every block! Good luck with your decision.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 06:20 PM   #4
sixspeed
Z4M CSL
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Alpine White Z4M Coupe

Agree with the above comments. The Z4M was about £5k overpriced from new IMO.
      08-10-2007, 12:43 AM   #5
ZilberGrau ZHP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435GC MGray, 330 ZHP (Wifes),

Yes the comments are correct- I am VERY happy with my Z4MC, gave my 330 ZHP to the wife (THAT Is a fantastic car- maybe one of the best BMW has ever made?) Anyway te dealer took $5300 US$ off and I feel I got an OK deal (they add to the Money Factor some) but thats OK. At first it is a little harsh but after getting used to it is a very smooth if thats the way that you want to drive it. Yes it may be a little rough on those UK B roads but wont be that bad.
I hope that when my lease is up that I can keep this car and get a 135 Coupe (in Montego Blue will look very nice I think or white????) as my everyday. Don't know if the finances will allow that but I can dream cant I? The Z4M Coupe IMO will be a classic even though they are not sold in huge numbers and they are being discounted heavily at this point.
I do wish they had the E90/92 upgraded electronics however since these have the E46 era electronics. The newer electronics are far superior- other than that -PERFECT! I even think the gas mileage is not that bad- 20-21 in mixed and 25-26 on the highway Im cool with that.

Last edited by ZilberGrau ZHP; 08-10-2007 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: misspell
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2007, 05:53 AM   #6
sixspeed
Z4M CSL
United Kingdom
Rep

Ze4eMCe,

Can you elaborate on what you mean by the E92 electronics?
      08-10-2007, 06:30 AM   #7
Katan
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4C 3.0si sport

I also used to own an E46 33Ci sport in Imola Red and exchanged it for a Silver Grey Z4 3.0si coupe. The reasons why I didn't go for a relatively cheap used Z4MC are: road tax, mpg, servicing costs, comfort. In my opinion it is more of a track car and the 3.0si is not much slower when you driving on the motorway. I aslo prefer the look of 3.0si as I think it looks classy. My 3.0si is noticably quicker than my old E46 330Ci so I'm happy.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2007, 07:31 AM   #8
johnson_ga
George
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sports - Now sold

Garage List
Thanks everyone for your comments and feedback...

...it's been most helpful.

Made final decision today and have ordered a new Audi A5 3.0 TDI (very different type of car to the Z4MC). Combination of near-vertical depreciation, high emissions, high road tax and rubbish UK roads (hearing that Z4MC is better on track) has led me to this choice.

Hope to come back to the BMW fold one day when they allow owners to choose whether or not they want RFTs on the car. Clearly the M Division have gotten wise to this, as there are no M cars with these tyres.

Thanks again - it was a tough choice, and your advice was useful.
      08-10-2007, 09:02 AM   #9
ZilberGrau ZHP
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435GC MGray, 330 ZHP (Wifes),

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeed View Post
Ze4eMCe,

Can you elaborate on what you mean by the E92 electronics?
6Sp-
All the displays are upgraded to higher resolution readouts on larger screens for more info, standard radio units have higher resolution displays to display more info (satellite radio), the remote keyfob for opening and closing the car has MUCH better range, and you have the auto start option - no key needed to stick in the dash- that I would very much like ($500 option on E90-92 I believe) and there are a host of other internals that I am sure are upgraded, these are the main ones that I can see
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2007, 06:41 PM   #10
sixspeed
Z4M CSL
United Kingdom
Rep

Ohh.. nice

I suppose the Z is a bit more of a drivers car, so doesn't need most of these toys (and they'llk just add more to the weight). But at the same time, I do love my gadgets...
      08-10-2007, 07:13 PM   #11
walbjj
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: s2000

in australia, the z4m coupe and roadster are about $140k drive away. there are 8 mth old, <1500km examples in showrooms for about $110k.

the car has been hit with the depreciation hammer hard. im waiting for another few months, no doubt it will creep under $100k. bmw australia predicted 200 z4 coupe units to sell in 2007, with 55% being the m version, i seriously doubt they have moved anywhere near that number, its too niche a car, and most bogans in australia would prefer to drive a ford or commodore
Appreciate 0