ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-05-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
Brimoon
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0

Question Passenger Airbag Light

Two weeks ago the red air bag warning light came on on my dash and this resulted in having a new air bag control module installed in my 2004 Z4 3.0. Since the new module installation, the passenger airbag "Off" light on the console stays on when the car is being driven and the seat is unoccupied. If someone is seated in the passenger seat, the light quite properly goes out. Before the new module install, the "Off" light would go out after a short while if the seat was unoccupied; that's also what the manual says should happen and it's the way passenger air bag light in our 2006 530i works. Of course, the light stays on if the passenger air bag key switch is set to off.

I don't know if this is a malfunction, a programming matter or a result of a newer or different type of air bag control module. Since the Off light goes out when the seat is occupied, I'm assuming that the passenger side air bags would work in an accident and I don't have a safety issue, but I'm a bit skeptical. Does anyone have have any thoughts on or experience with this matter?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2007, 10:47 AM   #2
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Just gotta say, my Passenger AirBag light always stays on when its unoccupied, its bloody annoying at night and I always thought that was the way it is?

I guess I'll have to ask my SA about this. I too have an 04 3.0i.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
jarrow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2004 z4 3.0i  [2.00]
Same here, always illuminated if the seat is unoccupied but not illuminated if a person of sufficient size sits in the seat. Personally, I wish that the indicator was not there at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2007, 02:59 PM   #4
maxz4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4

That is weird, mine came on only once, and it was because I had something on seat, guess it was too light for a human and too heavy for no passenger, but it never happened again.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 09:12 PM   #5
Brimoon
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0

I'm beginning to think it has something to do with the sensor in the passenger seat. Perhaps it senses a light weight on the seat even though it is unoccupied. I turned the air bag on-off switch a few times, but that did not cure the problem. - Brian
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 09:15 PM   #6
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

I usually have a passenger, so I haven't noticed.

07 ///M Coupe (Premium Package) Black Saphire Ext. Imola Red Int.

Best Website EVER!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 09:23 PM   #7
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbdm4k View Post
Just gotta say, my Passenger AirBag light always stays on when its unoccupied, its bloody annoying at night and I always thought that was the way it is?

I guess I'll have to ask my SA about this. I too have an 04 3.0i.
that's normal operation, the light is on to "warn" you whenever it will not go iff in the event of a collision

since there's nobody sitting there it won't go off if a collision happens

I guess I just got used to it personally, but I do agree that random lights can be annoying
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2007, 10:53 AM   #8
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

That light is just bloody annoying at night... This sharp yellow light at the corner of your eye when everything else is a nice amber glow...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2007, 11:16 AM   #9
Cliff3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: vroom

There's a keyed switch over on the right side of the dash that is exposed when you open the passenger door. You can turn on or turn off the console airbag warning light with this switch. This is documented in the owner's manual...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2007, 01:33 PM   #10
pbdm4k
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff3 View Post
There's a keyed switch over on the right side of the dash that is exposed when you open the passenger door. You can turn on or turn off the console airbag warning light with this switch. This is documented in the owner's manual...
I tried, doesn't do it.

Mine is set to Airbag passenger off. The light turns off when someone sits there, and it stays on when the seat is empty.

Annoying as hell.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2007, 03:04 PM   #11
Cliff3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbdm4k View Post
I tried, doesn't do it.

Mine is set to Airbag passenger off. The light turns off when someone sits there, and it stays on when the seat is empty.

Annoying as hell.
Mine comes on for a second after starting the car, then goes off. You should probably put it on your list of things to have your dealer check the next time they have the car for service.
Appreciate 0