ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #1
jumpthewire
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 silver/grey Z4 3.0si

To cover, or not to cover....

Wanted to get some opinions....

I'm leaving town for the holidays and was planning on cleaning
the Z, putting the OEM cover while i'm gone...

Unfortunately it's going to be raining for the next 3 days.

IF i get a chance to wash and put the cover on, what are the
negatives for having a cover on in the rain.

I'm assuming the OEM cover is NOT water proof.
hMmm....
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Wink

Tricky question in one way. I also assume the OEM is not waterproof, and when it gets wet it will simply cling to the car. IF it stops raining, even for part of the time then, you do risk the wet cover not being able to dry apart from being directly on the paint and that could cause possible damage. It is just hard to tell. You are it looks like in LA, so MAYbe it would be just best to leave it out uncovered, if its in a safe location. It will not hurt the car, as when you are there is probably gets rained on anyway. You can always re-wash and QuickDetail it when you return. Better, try to get a waterprood cover before leaving...some retail place surely has one, with a locking cable running underneath. OR try to find an inside place with a friend, if you are truely worried about it being out. I have had both types, waterproof and non, and would not do the non waterproof again. I did not like its affect, but then it was not OEM--just do not know of its fabric makeup, colorfast properties etc. Maybe a smaller tarp, just for convertible top portion might be an option. These have grommets at corners that could be tied underneath giving that part of car some protection from being soaked while gone. Good luck with whatever you choose...not an easy choice in any scenario. For me? I would search out and purchase a real waterproof cover if it is really an issue that it needs to be covered while gone...bests-
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 12:13 AM   #3
nlink720
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4 Roadster

The OEM cover is not waterproof. But, waterproof is not desired because a 100% waterproof cover prevents the cover from breathing properly. The NOAH (OEM type) is what you want because it will keep the car clean and protected from the elements, although not completely dry. If the car is wet, I would still cover it provided it was recently cleaned and is free of dirt.

If you look, you will find that the higher end covers are not waterproof.

Just make sure you secure the cover so that it does not blow away after the rain ends if it becomes windy, and never cover a non-clean car.

FS: Leather Recaro Pole Position Seats & Hardware
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 12:48 AM   #4
Diokaef
Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235I 2015, 335i 2011

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [6.33]
If its wet don't use it, Trust me, it's with experience that I'm telling you this, Your car is not going to be hurt in a few days exposed.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
jumpthewire
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 silver/grey Z4 3.0si

Thanks guys. Ill just keep it off since the rain isnt stopping any time soon!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
RBull
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Good advice. Just clean the car and put on the cover. On the other hand if it's only a few days why bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlink720 View Post
The OEM cover is not waterproof. But, waterproof is not desired because a 100% waterproof cover prevents the cover from breathing properly. The NOAH (OEM type) is what you want because it will keep the car clean and protected from the elements, although not completely dry. If the car is wet, I would still cover it provided it was recently cleaned and is free of dirt.

If you look, you will find that the higher end covers are not waterproof.

Just make sure you secure the cover so that it does not blow away after the rain ends if it becomes windy, and never cover a non-clean car.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2010, 10:23 AM   #7
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Nothing of quality is waterproof, only a tarpaulin, and that won't be good for the paint, neither will a saturated cover. Best to leave it without or rent a garage for the time you are away.