ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
Baracus (aka Steve)
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0Si

3.0Si steptronic problem

Hi all, i've tried all over for answers and got nowhere so far

I've had my 3.0si auto roadster for about 3/4 week now and i've got a question regarding steptronic/stick sports mode etc

obviously i've been havin a play around over the past few weeks and i dunno if it's normal or not but if i'm travelling on a motorway i can only use the paddles or stick to shift if the revs are 2100 in 6th gear (around 65mph) which is when it lets me go manual on the paddles or stick. If i'm on country roads i want to use paddles etc but unless i really give it the beans i get nothing from the paddles or stick regardless of sports button pressed or not. I can certainly feel the difference when the button is pressed but i just don't get the paddles or stick at all. I can use paddles sometimes until i come to a bend and start slowing then it switches back to full auto and won't allow me to use paddles or stick again. am i missing somethin as all the threads i've read seem that everyone else can use paddles wherever and whenever they like regardless of speed

Thanks
Steve
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

If I have the gear shift in "D" and use the paddles, my car will let me use the paddles to select gears manually. But after a minute or so, the car will pop back into regular auto, unless I'm continually using the paddles.

Placing the shift in D and sliding to the left puts it in full manual mode. No automatic shifting at all, I think.

I haven't noticed a case where I've asked the car to shift manually and it has refued to do that.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
Baracus (aka Steve)
Rep

it refuses to change under 65mph regardless of weather i have the stick pushed left or not, stick wont work nor will paddles, but take it over 65mph and it all works a treat
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
Lark
Gone but not forgotten
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 335i Dinan S3/'13 BoxsterS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baracus (aka Steve) View Post
it refuses to change under 65mph regardless of weather i have the stick pushed left or not, stick wont work nor will paddles, but take it over 65mph and it all works a treat
I have a 335 with step and if that is the case, then you have a problem. I can shift mine at any speed at any time, as long as it is within the parameters. In other words I can't downshift into first at 60 mph but I assure you I can use the step virtually anytime. Sounds like you are in for a trip to the dealer.
2009 335i/Coupe/Dinan S3
2006 BMW Z4 3.0si
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
Baracus (aka Steve)
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lark View Post
I have a 335 with step and if that is the case, then you have a problem. I can shift mine at any speed at any time, as long as it is within the parameters. In other words I can't downshift into first at 60 mph but I assure you I can use the step virtually anytime. Sounds like you are in for a trip to the dealer.

yeah i was certain it should work anytime otherwise i really dont see the point in havin it as it only works on motorways

lks like i'll be takin it back to whee i bought it
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Does the transmission shift properly otherwise, in D mode?

There are some very knowledgeable folks here. If you don't have to hurry to the dealer, why not hang on a day or two to see if anyone can shed more light on what may be causing this.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
Baracus (aka Steve)
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Does the transmission shift properly otherwise, in D mode?

There are some very knowledgeable folks here. If you don't have to hurry to the dealer, why not hang on a day or two to see if anyone can shed more light on what may be causing this.

shifts no problem at all in auto, sport mode works no problem and it works no problem in all modes after 65mph

the only issue is i cant use manual below 65mph
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 02:55 PM   #8
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baracus (aka Steve) View Post
shifts no problem at all in auto, sport mode works no problem and it works no problem in all modes after 65mph

the only issue is i cant use manual below 65mph
I'm hoping that this is something cheap and easily fixed, like a fuse or something similar. Let's see if others here can offer assistance.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 02:57 PM   #9
Baracus (aka Steve)
Rep

Quote:
I'm hoping that this is something cheap and easily fixed, like a fuse or something similar. Let's see if others here can offer assistance.
you and me both. i've checked every fuse i can find and all are fine
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 03:17 PM   #10
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Let me ask my local service advisor!

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #11
Baracus (aka Steve)
Rep

Quote:
Let me ask my local service advisor!
any help greatfully appreciated

find me a simple fix and it will be one of these ""
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 03:29 PM   #12
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

It may be tomorrow before I get an answer. Is your car under warranty, by the way?

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #13
Baracus (aka Steve)
Rep

Quote:
It may be tomorrow before I get an answer. Is your car under warranty, by the way?
yeah i've only had the car 4 weeks so it's still warranty from the garage i bought it from, if it's a reletively cheap solution though i'll sort it myself
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #14
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Sounds good. I'll be back with a post as soon as I hear back from my service advisor, hopefully tomorrow!

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #15
Baracus (aka Steve)
Rep

Quote:
Sounds good. I'll be back with a post as soon as I hear back from my service advisor, hopefully tomorrow!
your a star, finally someone willing to help have 1 of these anyway
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #16
Nhopkins1394
Accountant, 1st Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roadster, Black

Transmission paddles not working

I really can't add to anything Huz has said.

If you pull the shifter to the left it should go into "MD" on the dash or "manual drive".
This should allow you to shift up or down at any time (within the rpm parameters which the car uses to protect itself.)
It is, in the MD mode, pretty much up to you when to shift, etc.

Sounds like you have a problem. Hope its just a software issue.

Reply to the thread when you get a definitive answer. I'll probably have the same problem later on down the road.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 06:41 PM   #17
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

My 06 si will change gears no matter how fast or slow I go. As long as it is within the rev limiter.If I touch the paddles it will change at least 1 gear. Some people did not like the paddle shifters or the way they were set up. I have seen where people reversed the wires so that the leaver above thew spoke of the steering wheel would up shift and the other side of the leaver behind the wheel would downshift ( operated with the fingers ) If you can get my drift here. You might want to try both and see if perhaps this has been done to yours. If the car is in high gear and you tell it to go higher it will do nothing.
      02-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #18
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imz4n View Post
My 06 si will change gears no matter how fast or slow I go. As long as it is within the rev limiter.If I touch the paddles it will change at least 1 gear. Some people did not like the paddle shifters or the way they were set up. I have seen where people reversed the wires so that the leaver above thew spoke of the steering wheel would up shift and the other side of the leaver behind the wheel would downshift ( operated with the fingers ) If you can get my drift here. You might want to try both and see if perhaps this has been done to yours. If the car is in high gear and you tell it to go higher it will do nothing.
Do you mean that the left paddle will only shift the gears up and the right paddle will only shift down (or vice versa)? Kinda like an F1 car?

On my car, whether you use the left or right paddle, moving the paddle towards the dash is a down shift - moving it towards the driver is an upshift.

Nhopkins - I think the risk of you having this problem in future is low. In an earlier chat this week, my service advisor commented that the automatic transmission in the 2006 - 2008 Z4's are really quite reliable units.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 08:33 PM   #19
imz4n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 3,0 si TITANIUM SIlVER

I'm just pointing out that the paddle shifters could have been modified and to try the other direction and/or the other shifter to see if there is a difference.
      02-24-2011, 01:23 AM   #20
Baracus (aka Steve)
Rep

my paddle shifters are identical both sides, push away to down shift and towards you for up shift. The gears work absolutely fine over 65mph on both the shifters and the stick. They just cut out altogether under 65mph so the stick and paddles do nothin at all
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 06:54 AM   #21
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

I just heard back from my local service advisor and his advice is to take the car to a good BMW dealership to have this addressed. It may be a simple fix, but its very difficult to diagnose remotely. I am encouraged by the fact that the car works properly in Drive and Sport modes.

If you did not get the car from a BMW dealer, I would not let the vendor muck about with your transmision - that could make things much worse. Insist that he cover the cost of having the best local BMW dealership address this.

As an alternative, you could seek out the guidance of Z4 guru Ron Stygar. I think he posts and monitors this board frequently:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7

Cheers!

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #22
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

Huy-Z what year is your 3.0si? I think you have a bad fan and/or fan fuse which sets the tranny to "limp" mode which means you don't get to work paddles or stick. I had the same problem.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthre...hlight=ignores
Appreciate 0