ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-23-2011, 02:52 PM   #23
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

In response to OP's question, I think there appears to be a disproportionate amount of coupe guys on this forum because enthusiasts usually populate the forums, and enthusiasts gravitate towards the coupe. Let's face it, the coupe will never offer you a top down experience, and only gives you a stiffer chassis, the benefit of which won't be felt / noticed by a non-enthusiast. In addition, a used coupe costs more than the roadster. Enthusiasts are more willing to put up with such a lopsided compromise. Looks are subjective, but if you just want to have a high performance car, have a top down experience, be seen in it, and don't care about having that extra rigidity, the roadster is for you. The coupe offers you a stiffer chassis, and a more focused attitude towards performance driving, while taking away open air enjoyment.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 03:13 PM   #24
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

With respect to chassis stifness, there is no doubt that the coupe offers greater chassis stiffness than the roadster.

However, it would be incorrect to conclude from this that the chassis of the roadster is not sufficiently stiff for performance driving. I have a book (that I've loaned to a friend) which is licensed by BMW and talks about the car's design process. It talks about how greatly improved chassis stiffness was a fundamental design goal for the E85 Z4 engineers. To that end, the Z4 roadster's chassis is significantly stiffer than that of an earlier BMW coupe.

So, the roadster is certainly not a weak chassis rubbery car. Unless you plan to aggressively track the car, the additional chassis stiffness of the coupe is not particularly meaningful. For daily use, both cars will be rock solid flex-free machines.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #25
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

you also have to factor in that if you get the coupe your gonna hit your head on the roof every other month...something to consider lol
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 03:25 PM   #26
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by txz4 View Post
you also have to factor in that if you get the coupe your gonna hit your head on the roof every other month...something to consider lol
LOL!!

As a reference point, I am 6'1 and I have never smacked my head on the door frame while getting into or out of the car when the top is up. Plenty of head room inside when the top is up, too. I expect the coupe should be similar, coupe guys?

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #27
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
LOL!!

As a reference point, I am 6'1 and I have never smacked my head on the door frame while getting into or out of the car when the top is up. Plenty of head room inside when the top is up, too. I expect the coupe should be similar, coupe guys?
im only 5'10 and ive done it just about every other month, i think the roof line probably slopes a little more towards the rear I.E. where your head goes when you get in.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 04:13 PM   #28
Nhopkins1394
Accountant, 1st Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roadster, Black

I'm 6' 6" and with the top up , I basically have to almost kneel on the ground on one knee to get head clearance to get out of the car.
Yes, It REALLY looks silly.
Solution: I usually get out first. Leave the car running. The wife leans over and pushes the roof "up" button and closes the roof, then turns off the car and pulls the keys out and locks the car and gets out on her side.

IT's SO MUCH FUN though!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #29
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Hmm, I have never hit my head either... Must be a clumsy person thing...
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #30
Phishman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Beige car

I have never hit my head on my coupe, but my girlfriend manages to hurt herself every time she gets in/out.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 06:33 PM   #31
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOUR FLUSHER View Post
Here's the facts, other cars are '10 328 sedan, '01 4runner (snow rig) which why I'm now a forum guy. I'm looking for a new toy, wife wants a vert for summer fun, I really like to looks of the coupes, I need some ammo for the battle with the wife

seem like all the avid boarders are coupe folks....WHY!
I'll take a different tack - has the wife actually owned/driven/ridden in a convertible? As a bachelor, I can't tell you how many times I've been "Sybiled" on this issue. "Oh, you've got a convertible - cool!" changes to "Put the top up! My hair, my outfit, the sun, people can see me, nooooooo!"

If that isn't the case, I recommend getting the convertible. You lose nothing as far as day-to-day driving performance, they tend to be cheaper because there are lots more of them, and she's happy.

You worried about the difference in appearance? Trust me, a convertible with a happy couple in it looks better than a coupe with just a guy in it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 07:15 PM   #32
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
That's right. You don't have to worry about your toupe blowing off.

har har har!!
LOL u dick i'm 21 with hair!

made me lol hard tho
      02-23-2011, 08:41 PM   #33
fighting_fish
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2.5i Z4 2004

All the advice you've gotten is dead on. I personally think the coupe has nicer lines, but I could not live without the roadster.

After an especially hard day at work, driving home with the top down always makes me feel better

My girlfriend also loves driving with the top down, she will occasionally say to me "hey let's go for a drive!" with no destination in mind. I do have to get the wind deflector at some point, if her hair is done up the top stays up as well
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 10:48 PM   #34
imom
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Subaru BRZ ....... Z4MR (SOLD)

I've driven two M coupes from friends, but I also had convertibles for the last 4 yrs almost... different have both benefits. The roadster is in now way not a handling car... with a strut bar, it feels about the same as a coupe, but I don't track my car...just a daily driver.

If u really want a coupe vs. a roadster...dare I say get the newer model Z4? Yes it won't handle as well....but u get the best of both worlds... and it looks pretty as well.

I love a mildly cool night and the top down and the heater on... it is the next best thing to riding motorcycles.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 10:56 PM   #35
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

today was 45*, I had the top down, and the heater on blast. I stopped at a light next to a newer GT500, in the turning lane, who gave me a thumbs up. Light turned green, I turned off traction control, and the back slid about 4 feet sideways as I peeled out through the intersection. I felt like such a badass (and jackass). hahaha
      02-23-2011, 11:57 PM   #36
FOUR FLUSHER
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 328 Convertable

Really good input

I really enjoyed the well thought out replies. I like that everyone seems to love both models. I have no idea which one will find a home in our garage, I plan on being super picky about the condition and the history, so it may come down to "best available".
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 07:58 PM   #37
jrich4411
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 ///M black on black

If you are comparing the coupe with the roadster with the top up, definitely the coupe looks better. But the Z4 was designed to have the top down, and she absoultely looks sexier with the top down!
If you want a better track car, get the coupe. On the track, the coupe wins hands down. These are the enthousiasts that dominate this forum (absolutely no disrespect intended). I appreciate what they do to their cars and envy them, knowing they live in a world I only get to visit briefly. This forum is great for them to share their knowledge, even if I can't be part of it.
For all the performance upgrades you see posted here, for the bulk of us who use our cars as a DD, which includes the thousands of Z4 owners who never visit this or any other forum, we just don't use our cars enough to appreciate the difference.
So what really is your intention for your Z? I love blowing by the ricer at a stoplight and seeing the look on his face after he thought his Civic was bad-ass & challanged me (yes, I'm juvenile at times). I also love taking a cloverleaf at 55 - purely for my own enjoyment (both the coupe & roadster will do that just fine). You can't beat cruising down the oceanside boulevard with the top down. Even my Harley can't beat that feeling. But, I am not going to auto-x her - I don't have the time to invest in the training & practice necessary.
So, in the end, what are you really going to do with your car? If you are gonna cruise & enjoy the sight & sounds of the environment while having a little "spirited" fun on public roadways now and again, go roadie. If you want a better performance machine, coupe.
Drive both then decide.
Send us pics when you do.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 08:40 PM   #38
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Coupe owner here so I vote coupe. It looks like a completely different car than the vert imo. Much more distinguishable and unique looking. Im always getting complements and people asking if its a brand new model.

But like others were saying, everyone here has a personal preference and you need to figure out what yours is!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 10:57 PM   #39
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

Consider this--- the roadster gives options per the weather --- raise or lower it in 10 seconds. It allows that engine and exhaust to really be an aural experience, and without cabin resonance. You can hear the grip of the limited slip diff when you're turning with slight gravel on the pavement. The visibility top down is "360". There's less paint to wash/wax. The chassis is rock solid! It doesn't look like a clown shoe (sorry coupe folks).
Even the sound system was designed for top down driving.

piece of advice: blow off the navigation if you have a choice.
Ask if the engine mount bolts have been replaced or at least inspected.

Now that ought to keep this going for a bit!!

Last edited by G80indy; 02-25-2011 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: engine mount BOLTS; edit
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 11:36 PM   #40
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330indy View Post
Consider this--- the roadster gives options per the weather --- raise or lower it in 10 seconds. It allows that engine and exhaust to really be an aural experience, and without cabin resonance. You can hear the grip of the limited slip diff when you're turning with slight gravel on the pavement. The visibility top down is "360". There's less paint to wash/wax. The chassis is rock solid! It doesn't look like a clown shoe (sorry coupe folks).
Even the sound system was designed for top down driving.

piece of advice: blow off the navigation if you have a choice.
Ask if the engine mounts have been replaced or at least inspected.

Now that ought to keep this going for a bit!!
Clown Shoe title is respectfully reserved for the Z3 M Coupe, thank you that is all
      02-24-2011, 11:54 PM   #41
G80indy
Save the Manuals
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3, E46, G80

not necessarily
the z4MC is the Kenneth Cole clown shoe
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 10:19 AM   #42
02fireman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Twistys

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330indy View Post
not necessarily
the z4MC is the Kenneth Cole clown shoe
I like that!!!!
But really, just get both. My wife likes her top down (me too) and I love my coupe. Granted hers is the 3.0, but that's all she needs :-).

Z4M Coupe 6MT Monaco Blue #13/36 ...Keeper...
Z4 3.0 6MT ...Keeper...
2OO2 5MT ...Keeper...
335i 6MT Montego Blue M-Sport (Retired),X535d Vermillion Red/Saddle (Retired)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 10:26 AM   #43
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
But only if it is red.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 12:12 PM   #44
david_lm
Go Ducks!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4Mr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn0utsRfun View Post
Get MC
1. You won't have problems with the convertible tops, even though there are almost none with the Z4's. (the wife doesn't know that)

2. I think the MC is much more distinguishable from a normal Z4 than an MR is.

3. I feel like the MC looks more like a "supercar" than an MR.

4. It's just cool looking lol
Are you implying the Z4M is a supercar? There are drop top supercars too ...

Appreciate 0