ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
philjw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

For those who bought diffs with 3.91 or 4.10 gears

...did you keep your stock diff or exchange for the core refund? Or would you if you were eventually going to sell the car? I know it varies from vendor to vendor, but right now it would cost me about $750 to keep my stock diff with 3.62 gears (about 30k miles on it).

There's about a 50/50 chance I'll sell the car in about 3 years, and I wonder if I'd be better off swapping the stock diff back in and selling the 4.10??? Not sure how much this would impact my resale, but personally I'm always hesitant to buy heavily modified cars....

Any thoughts welcome!

Edit: My "new" diff is now on order... Euro headers and DKF 300 cell cat section 1 to be added later this year.

Last edited by philjw; 04-11-2013 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #2
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Demodding back to stock is always worth it. Mods on the car are worth nothing, mods off the car are worth something.

However, when I looked into it getting a complete diff was twice as expensive as just putting new gears into my diff. So I went with that route.

If I sell I can always find someone to trade me their diff + cash and swap back to stock, so I'll always come out ahead.
      04-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
philjw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
If I sell I can always find someone to trade me their diff + cash and swap back to stock, so I'll always come out ahead.
Actually that makes a lot of sense. Hadn't thought about that option, but seems like I could find someone to make that deal down the road. I'd do it myself if I knew someone looking to de-mod. Beats storing a stock diff for 3 years...
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
marinb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 911 GTS

If I had the option to keep my original diff for $750, I would have done it. I went the same route as Beta and put new gears into my original diff. It's definitely nice to put the car fully back to stock before selling it. You can always sell the mods you pull off too.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
philjw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinb View Post
If I had the option to keep my original diff for $750, I would have done it. I went the same route as Beta and put new gears into my original diff. It's definitely nice to put the car fully back to stock before selling it. You can always sell the mods you pull off too.
Sounds like a lot of you went the rebuild route. I would if I trusted someone local to do it, but even the shops that seem decent are recommending that I just buy a rebuilt unit online... $750 beats sourcing a new stock diff if I swap back and sell the 4.10, but I like beta's plan of just finding someone to do the swap with $$$ on top. Seems like there would be someone between the Z4M and E46 M3 crowd.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC;08 MBZ E350 4Matic

As you mention, the e46 crowd has these come up all the time. You can surf their boards (if you don't already) for one.

08 Z4MC /// DKF Exhaust, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, TCK Coilovers, Strong-Strut, Apex EC-7's, APR Splitter/Wing,
AFE Intake, Underdrive pulleys, AS SSK, Jaffster, UUC Tranny Mounts, Matte Grill, RPI Scoop, CF Badges
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 06:06 AM   #7
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

In the end, you still have a stock diff when there are better diff's on the market if you want to go around corners fast. If so, a stock diff is not optimal.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
philjw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks again everyone for the input. Leaning back towards keeping my stock diff instead of exchanging for the $750 core refund. Will make the swap back to stock that much easier and also easier to sell the 4.10 setup if I can ship it. In any case, my freshly rebuilt diff with 4.10 gears is complete and in transit from Diffsonline to Portland. Will likely have the swap done in about a week or so!!!
Appreciate 0