ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-30-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
theeRayWay
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Roadster

Vacuum Brake Pump Issue

Hi Everyone,

I have searched endlessly about this issue on the forum, but haven't had much luck. I have been hearing this sound coming from my engine getting progressively louder in the last week. When I took it for diagnostic, they said it was the Vacuum Brake Pump that needed to be replaced. Well when we were about to replace it, we got all the way to the seal and there was OF COURSE a special BMW tool that wouldn't allow us to access the part. Have any of you ran into this? Do you know where I might be able to get the key to the lock to replace the Vacuum Brake Pump? Or a method of removing the cover?

Also, when I tried taking it back to the shop, they claimed they could do it and I told them it required a special key. They got as far as I did and called me saying they could no longer do it and would have to charge me a couple hours of labor for reassembly (UGH). Why start a job you're not sure you could finish? To top it all off, they broke the aluminum t60 bolt that holds the tensioner and replaced it with steel, which over time could corrode right? Also, they overtightened it to 20lbs instead of the factory 18lbs, so I am worried they damaged the engine block. So yea, any help, opinion, or pat on the back would be appreciated. I live in West LA, and if you guys have any recs for a good mechanic out here, I would appreciate it.

THANK YOU.

Raymond

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
Gallardo Rosso
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

I think I would have refused to pay if you specifically told them about the special tool in a specific manner...

The difference between 18 and 20lbs of torque is pretty small. Probably outside the range of what most home or garage torque wrenches are manufactured to unless your doing calibration on regular intervals and your fasteners and holes are brand new and squeaky clean.

But a plain steel bolt (randomly pulled from the bucket'o'bolts) could corrode if it's of poor quality and poor material.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
Dine
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 silver Grey Z4mc

yea no way i would have paid them if you specifically told them it needed a tool and they said they could do it. torque seems within reason to me and i wouldnt argue over a bolt, just cut my losses and replace it myself with the correct material. I however would never visit this service station again based on your description

and to answer your original question sorry im not sure how to get to it without using their special tools. best you could hope for is someone in your area happens to have it on hand or has access to one...maybe someone else can chime in with another solution though. GL!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
theeRayWay
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Roadster

Hey everyone! Got the problem fixed. Thanks for the input. What's HILARIOUS is that it wasn't the vacuum pump at all That first shop completely misdiagnosed the problem and actually what was needed was a new alternator. Additionally, I am 90% sure that the first shop damaged the tensioner when trying to access the vacuum pump which needed to be replaced too. This has been a wonderful yet costly nightmare This shop was good, but they charged A LOT in labor. At least they knew their stuff. Thanks!
Appreciate 0