ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-05-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
Calichase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 s/c'd Z4MC '08 e82 '02 m3

Popular exhaust questions....

i want to limit my modifications on the m coupe and plan on strickly exhaust and wheels. I do not plan on tracking this car but want a better sound. So my question, which exhaust....
priced from cheapest to most expensive
1.RPI- i have heard its much lighter, but weight isnt a huge factor for me
2.RE Diablo- slightly more expensive and slight heavier then rpi
3.eisenmann- the price has almost doubled compared to the rpi. is it worth it?
4. supersprint- known as best of the best
once again im not looking to race this car, so the latter two options arnt very realistic in my mind.
i have also consider headers, section 1 and running catless or with race cats, and section 2 with x pipes. Im not as interesting in these products but general information would help.
I would like to hear from owners, distrubutors and all other with more knowledge. Any comments, complains, and information would greatly help me.
Thanks and im glad to join a unique group of motoring enthusists

Last edited by Calichase; 05-11-2014 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: error in spelling
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
elwesso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Not sure if you've seen this thread or not, but this is a great place to start...

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680796

There's basically no HP to be gained (even if you did gain 10HP it would not be feel-able), so it comes down to whatever sound you like, and how loud you want it.

I personally think most of the exhausts out there like RPI, diablo, and eisenmann are highly over-priced for what you get. Good quality stuff, seems like a lot of money for just a gain in sound..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 03:04 PM   #3
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calichase View Post
Hello everyone, I have recently comleted my dream of buying an interlagos blue m coupe. ....... i want to limit my modifications on the m coupe and plan on strickly exhaust and wheels. .....
Good luck with that!

CongratZ on the new M Coupe.
There are some good exhaust threads here ...look up exhaust fest 2012
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #4
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Stromung is one that is often overlooked.

This is probably going to be my choice this summer. Priced similar with RPI
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 03:10 PM   #5
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Good input above, I'll add the following.

The key questions are:

How loud do you want it?
What kind of sound (e.g. exotic or low growl)?
How much drone can you tolerate?
Budget, and can you wait and see what pops up used?
Just sound or do you want performance gains?

Start the research here here for sound clips, db levels, drone, comparisons of many options.

The RPIs sound great, and exotic, but they drone a lot, and they're very loud. Diablos are more growl, lower, but also have a lot of drone. (Had Diablos at one time, and Remus, now Eisenmann Sport--all bought used). Axle back adds sound, not power.

RE xpipe adds a lot of sound, pops, and burbles. Supersprint xpipe does add sound, but not as much as RE. (No idea why, it's just I've heard the super sprint before the X pipe and after the X pipe and there's not much difference. And also for the Eisenman sport before, and after the X pipe and there's a world of difference.). Again, sound, not power.

Headers, cats etc. add complexity, and potential cost. They're worth it for performance, but it all depends on your goals and budget. Lots of threads--see mine, it's recent, to start with. Many others on this topic too.

Congratulations on the car! You're going to have to work to keep the mod-monkey off your back!

Last edited by Finnegan; 03-05-2013 at 03:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calichase View Post
Hello everyone, I have recently comleted my dream of buying an interlagos blue m coupe. This is my 2nd BMW and im hoping this one treats me better then my last, long story ha. My previous car, an '02 325i that i turned into my track day car, has taught me well.
getting back to my question... i want to limit my modifications on the m coupe and plan on strickly exhaust and wheels. I do not plan on tracking this car but want a better sound. So my question, which exhaust....
priced from cheapest to most expensive
1.RPI- i have heard its much lighter, but weight isnt a huge factor for me
2.RE Diablo- slightly more expensive and slight heavier then rpi
3.eisenmann- the price has almost doubled compared to the rpi. is it worth it?
4. supersprint- known as best of the best
once again im not looking to race this car, so the latter two options arnt very realistic in my mind.
i have also consider headers, section 1 and running catless or with race cats, and section 2 with x pipes. Im not as interesting in these products but general information would help.
I would like to hear from owners, distrubutors and all other with more knowledge. Any comments, complains, and information would greatly help me.
Thanks and im glad to join a unique group of motoring enthusists
I'm not going to tell you which of the exhausts will sound best to you, that's entirely subjective. I think my set up sounded very good for the street and got complements on it often. I'm only posting because you mentioned you have considered headers/section 1 catless/and xpipe...which is where I think the Arqray really stands out.

Ran alone, I think the Arqray may not be as aggressive as the others, but it does a fantastic job of giving you a clean crisp and deep note when you do other modifications to beef up the sound.

Take a look if you want...i think it's a nice alternative that not many people consider because of it's rarity.

Cheers.

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809552
      03-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Good luck with that!

SERIOUSLY

03-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
Calichase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not sure if you've seen this thread or not, but this is a great place to start...

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680796

There's basically no HP to be gained (even if you did gain 10HP it would not be feel-able), so it comes down to whatever sound you like, and how loud you want it.

I personally think most of the exhausts out there like RPI, diablo, and eisenmann are highly over-priced for what you get. Good quality stuff, seems like a lot of money for just a gain in sound..
i have checked that out, lots of figures with data but i want more information on experience haha. thanks for input though

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Good luck with that!

ha well i have experienced the downside of mods on my e46. Since i now have a track dedicated car i hope i will splurge on that instead of the m coupe

Quote:
The key questions are:

How loud do you want it?
What kind of sound (e.g. exotic or low growl)?
How much drone can you tolerate?
Budget, and can you wait and see what pops up used?
Just sound or do you want performance gains?

Headers, cats etc. add complexity, and potential cost. They're worth it for performance, but it all depends on your goals and budget.
great inofrmation. Im looking for sound, not as much power.
i would prefer a lower more growling kind of sound and drone doesnt bother me(e46 experience ha). my budget isnt really the major problem but i wouldnt want to spend over 2k on anything.
is there any problem with getting a used exhaust/muffler??
i dont want to have to mess with emission, been there done that, so headers and catless are out but an x pipe might be reasonable.
Bu thanks for all this information. keep it coming
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Stromung might fit the bill, as would Diablo. Less drone with the Stromung. Nice and deep and great growl. RobMCoupe has one. Gferil's generic reasonator (custom) might fit the bill too. Think he's going to sell it since he's building a new generic system. If you live in NorCal, chances are you might be able to meet up with a number of folks to have a listen inside and outside the cabin.

No issues with buying used exhaust. As long as you see pictures, and it's from a reputable seller, you don't have anything to worry about. You can check the I trader rating.

You can also just start off with axle back. If you want more sound, if you want more pops and burbles, you can always add an xpipe later.

Wheels? Can't go wrong with Apex. GB starting on EC7s too. Thread on that today. Thought I'd add that since it's up next!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 09:09 AM   #10
Calichase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post

Wheels? Can't go wrong with Apex. GB starting on EC7s too. Thread on that today. Thought I'd add that since it's up next!
ha i like the look of apex but i have only driven BBS and dont know if i can switch yet
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #11
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Bottom line, I have an RE Diablo set for sale!

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #12
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
I put the RPIs on my car last time I was home and I love them. There is definitely a big difference in weight, although I didn't really notice it driving in the few days I was able to drive my car before leaving. They are very loud and sound great while doing some sporty driving or around town, but on the highway they can be too much. It can be a little hard to hold a conversation over the drone at highway speeds.

Congrats on the Coupe, and in the best color too!
      10-17-2013, 11:29 PM   #13
Calichase
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I hate to bump this but my question isnt worth a whole new thread.

I have a few Questions concerning exhaust upgrades for ///m coupes

1. I am looking into a rogue x-pipe, An axle back muffler, and an evolve tune. I live in md where emissions laws are pretty strict. Will I have any issues? These modifications shouldn't throw codes at all, but I might fail for being modified in the first place. Maybe someone from md can chime in.
2. For the axle back, I'm thinking about re diablos or rpi's. I have searched and read all the great exhaust threads. There really is some great info here! My question is that I can't seem to find how much wait is saved by the rpi's. I know the diablos shed about 15 lbs compared to stock and I think the rpi's are around 30ish? If I am understanding correctly, is that wait really noticeable, or just a nice pro to the rpi. From what I have read, the rpi's give a louder more exotic tone while the diablos give a lower growl. Would the addition of the x pipe just add the gurgles and pops and maybe some more sound?
I was also considering eisenmann race and ss power loops but don't see the gain for that price, but I may be wrong.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 12:38 AM   #14
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

X pipe and cans do not effect emissions at all. Non issue.

RPI or Diablo will save weight vs. stock. Not enough difference between the two (or to stock really, unless part of a total car reduction strategy) to be concerned with.

RPI or Diablo + X pipe will be loud. Very loud. And lots of drone. Recommend starting with can then considering x pipe later.

If you don't like drone stay away from RPI or Diablo. Stromung is in the same price range and much less drone. Eisenmann Sport or Supersprint Powerloops add sound w/o appreciable drone.

All depends on what you're after in terms of sound/price.
Appreciate 0