ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
Murph54
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Frozen Black Comp

RD Exhaust Question

I am considering buying a 2007 M Coupe that has an RD Exhaust on it. I haven't heard how it sounds since the car is 1,000 miles from me. Has anyone heard this exhaust on an M Coupe? How loud is it? Any drone? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

I got a suggestion for ya.

If you ever come across an MZ4 Coupe you like...Buy it. Doesn't matter if it's got RD exhaust on it and you don't like it. Buy it and swap it out if it sounds like crap. Because the chances of you coming across another MZ4 Coupe you like is THIN.

If it passes pre-purchase inspection and is in good shape, you can easily take the exhaust off, put whatever it is that you like or go back to OEM, and sell the RD exhaust on the classified to recoup the cost. Chances are mighty good the seller may have the OE exhaust on hand anyway.

Just a thought.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

I have to +1 on hack.

When the coupe combo that I wanted popped up after three months of searching, it hadn't even been on the market for a full day before I put a deposit on it.

Get to it and swap mods when you're into it already.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 05:40 PM   #4
davesz4mc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4mc

Yes +2 I would not trade this car for anything, mine is almost 8 years old now and people still ask if it is the "new one". It may not be the fastest thing out there but it has crossed off every stock SRT it has seen.
2007 Z4MC, 1" drop H&R Springs, Evolve Tunning, Headers, K&N Filter, RPI scoop, Red top high energy coils, UUC Red Poly mounts (none bolt-through), UUC Lightweight Flywheel with Organic Clutch and a custom exhaust with just one AeroTurbine muffler.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 09:47 PM   #5
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
I'll also second (tripple?) Hack's statement. Also even if you aren't fond of that particular set of exhaust it will probably still sound better than the stock exhaust which is just way too quiet for a performance car.
      06-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #6
Murph54
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Frozen Black Comp

Thanks Guys. I pulled the trigger and bought the car. Drove it up from LA to Portland last weekend with a stop in SF. Great drive! Now I have to figure out what I want to do with the exhaust, which is a little to quiet for me.
Appreciate 0