ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-16-2013, 01:34 PM   #397
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikamak View Post
You also need the uncorrected data.
Why are you set on the uncorrected data? There's a reason the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) corrected values are the standard. Uncorrected data is just what the dyno decided the car made, and a car in a hot Texas summer will read much lower than the same car in a cold Canadian winter. SAE corrected numbers allow for some element of standardization, because the corrected numbers should be similar in either of the above cases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_International

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #398
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster TiAG/black

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
I thought you were Evolve all the way?

The problems you are all having are NOT indicative of a Euro header install. When done correctly there should be no CEL, no 'readiness' fault, and no other issues (except a huge grin across your face).

ESS pioneered this tech for our cars (specifically), and their tune is flawless.
PLEASE READ:
I am certainly not evolve all the way, nor ESS all the way. I bought an ESS supercharger and i will use its tried and tested tune.

When I installed EURO headers and relocated the EGT and post-O2 sensors to Spipe, i didn't have any code with the stock tune nor with the evolve tune.
When i de-catted the S-pipe, then problems started happening. (this is the fact of the story)

Just to clarify something to you and other people on the forum and to be fair to all parties:
I was in the market for a tune: there was either ESS or Evolve, evolve had better customer relationship and was cheaper and they explained to me exactly what the tune does, so i bite, that's it.

Evolve tune: Currently, I have reported good gains on butt dyno with EGT and O2 codes still present, it might be throttle mapping effect and my car could be putting out less power than stock. i don't know and frankly after 3 months with codes waiting for a tune to fix it, this is unacceptable customer service but i am still patient since i will install the supercharger soon and the N/A evolve tune will be worthless to me.

I apologize about saying that i do not trust any other tuner other than evolve, i pull back that statement. AJ from ESS is a serious tuner and has gotten a very impressive Z4M SC tune after talking to my Z4M SC ESS owners. If your ESS tune is flawless then this doesn't surprise me and i hope you enjoy your car as much as i do with the evolve tune. (even though i am now considering dynoing stock vs evolve to see if the gains are really there or if its just throttle mapping)

Last edited by tikamak; 03-16-2013 at 03:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 03:08 PM   #399
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

I need to add something:
Beedub has ridiculously put his car (Z4M ESS VT2-500 with 8psi pulley :P) in severe track conditions and his temps, performance and recovery is astonishing.

THAT, for me is a great achievement in our Z4M platform and a reason for me to blow 5 digits with ESS and go with their severely tested tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #400
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
I can't speak for the EGT code, but a decatted car will always throw a code unless the secondary O2 sensors are turned off. If they are turned off, the car will return "not ready" when plugged up for an OBDII inspection. Any tune that allows you to pass inspection without cats is illegal. The only way to pass the OBDII portion of inspection without cats is to use an O2 simulator. I'm working on one as I write this, utilizing a microcontroller and adjustable PWM signal. If it was as simple as getting a tune, many others would have done it already.

A legal tune that doesn't throw a check engine light or return "not ready" does not exist.

Note - this is for the U.S. only. I don't claim to know the laws of other countries.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #401
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
I can't speak for the EGT code, but a decatted car will always throw a code unless the secondary O2 sensors are turned off. If they are turned off, the car will return "not ready" when plugged up for an OBDII inspection. Any tune that allows you to pass inspection without cats is illegal. The only way to pass the OBDII portion of inspection without cats is to use an O2 simulator. I'm working on one as I write this, utilizing a microcontroller and adjustable PWM signal. If it was as simple as getting a tune, many others would have done it already.

A legal tune that doesn't throw a check engine light or return "not ready" does not exist.

Note - this is for the U.S. only. I don't claim to know the laws of other countries.

@Salman: Is the above statement correct? if yes, then i told you multiple times that i have no cats at all and the answer is to just remove the O2 check. what about EGT in this case? awaiting your feedback. THanks.

PS: we have no such law in my country, my car is at 115 db also
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 02:41 AM   #402
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Why are you set on the uncorrected data? There's a reason the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) corrected values are the standard. Uncorrected data is just what the dyno decided the car made, and a car in a hot Texas summer will read much lower than the same car in a cold Canadian winter. SAE corrected numbers allow for some element of standardization, because the corrected numbers should be similar in either of the above cases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAE_International
Because sometimes and in certain conditions corrections will hide the little delta that you get when tuning NA s54, its not like we are adding csl instake cams and decat and comparing tune with stock where there should be around 50 hp difference, in most case we have around 10-13 hp difference between stock and evolve or ess tunes.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 07:26 AM   #403
Sales@Evolve
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:

Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Z4M's are passing readiness in the US with a decat. The 02 sensors just need to be in place and working. No CEL light appears.

What does tend to happen however, and this is very common on the E46 side, is that when people do change their exhausts the 02 sensors are damaged.

That's when the problems arise. The CEL light will appear and the only way then to switch off the codes it to turn off the sensors. Then readiness becomes an issue.

We have a protocol where we ask customers to change their exhaust setups before any software changes. Never do both at the same time because you will not be able to establish if there is a problem with the 02 sensor itself or if it's tune related. We know it;s not tune related but convincing someone otherwise can be a little difficult and often customers tend to think it's an excuse on our part.

Some Z4M's have thrown way too many codes. Some simply outright blame the tune and refuse to accept there is a problem with the tune.

Therefore, we will educate you all a little more on the subject shortly.

Be aware of one thing though please - 02 sensors, especially pre cat's failing will create issues with power. EGT sensors which are damaged will do the same. Again, why this is will be covered.

In the mean time, if any one is still having problems with their tunes or think they are losing power please just email us. You will get a response, some questions will be asked and we will help you resolve the issue.

The Z4M is a very small community and it is not at all a problem to do regular software updates for you guys. Tuning always improves where we are continuously developing and we prefer for everyone to have the latest updates.
That's the beauty of having your evolve-R cables.

One point related to the tuning - we do NOT alter the throttle mapping on the Z4M at all. However, we might just start doing that to show you what it's effects are.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #404
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

So in my case, I have faulty EGT and post-cat O2 sensors?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #405
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal@Evolve View Post
In the mean time, if any one is still having problems with their tunes or think they are losing power please just email us. You will get a response, some questions will be asked and we will help you resolve the issue.
Thanks Sal, sent you an email.
      03-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #406
Sales@Evolve
Rep
Drives: Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikamak View Post
So in my case, I have faulty EGT and post-cat O2 sensors?
No, your diagnostics and tests are treated differently to the US guys as you do not have to worry about readiness tests.
Appreciate 0