ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-04-2013, 02:41 AM   #375
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal@Evolve
Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
3 Evolve tunes. 3 running too rich. Looks like Evolve didn't get it right. Can't compare tuning an E46 to these cars in any way
If there is a problem with these tunes then we will fix this.

I am looking at these cases and going to study the DRF files.

There is a massive inconsistency between the tuning we have been doing for a long time on these DME's in the USA and now.

It doesn't matter what it takes, will find the issue.

There are far more maps in the MSS70 than the MSS54 with respect to ignition timing vs temperature and vans timing vs temperature.

If the temperature remains too cool a different vanos profile is taken.

What's interesting is that the fuelling is changing so much pre and post tune where the fuelling has not been changed that much!

Rest assured, already working on this. We will find the issue with these cases first and if a small issue is found then everyone will be updated.

Still waiting for an update on this (3 months?)
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 04:57 AM   #376
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Which probably means they didn't figure it out.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 07:52 PM   #377
davesz4mc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4mc

They need to get on it then...
2007 Z4MC, 1" drop H&R Springs, Evolve Tunning, Headers, K&N Filter, RPI scoop, Red top high energy coils, UUC Red Poly mounts (none bolt-through), UUC Lightweight Flywheel with Organic Clutch and a custom exhaust with just one AeroTurbine muffler.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 08:11 PM   #378
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixspeed View Post
Interestingly I spoke to Evolve today about some map work, and have offered them to have my Z4M for as long as needed to play about with a tune. If that means they can get the development of this box out of that, then that's fine by me. I just need the car back before the end of March, but that's 4-5 weeks of development time for fitting etc.

Speaking with Sal tomorrow, so will mention this then.
From the intake thread it looks like they are at least gonna have a Z4M on site to play with.

CSL headers*Euro cats*Arqray exhaust*DKF hangers*Evolve Tune*Genuine CSL rims*10mm Macht Schnell front spacers*modified Hamann bumper*Tekarbon 2X2 CF spoiler*Turner CF grills*AS SSK*KWV3*OEM Strut bar*Rogue RSM*Polyurethane anti-roll bar bushings*Deka ETX30L battery*Nav Video module*front & rear cameras*Ipod module*stubby antenna*R-Dash LED license lights*LED Ziza interior lights
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #379
bmwschnell
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M coupe; '22 Ford Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
Still waiting for an update on this (3 months?)
Any update on this?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 12:37 AM   #380
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I finally got my car dynoed. I expected to be making more power, so I'm disappointed.

Next step for me is to re-flash stock firmware (except euro version of the software instead of US), send that file over to Evolve. Then go dyno the stock firmware, flash and dyno again to verify a gain.

The only reason I can think of for the lower than expected output is that I'm due for a valve adjustment. Could this cause the power I'm seeing? I'll make sure to get that done before the next dyno as well.

This dyno gives results about 10% lower than the most common dynos, so multiply by 1.1 to get a more standard number and 1.25 to get a rough crank number. I got 250. I was expecting at least 10-15hp more.

What do you guys think?

03-15-2013, 03:46 AM   #381
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

I'm honestly not sure why that dyno read so low. I understand that dyno-to-dyno differences in peak output #s are not exactly apples-to-apples comparisons, but there should be at least a ballpark range for stock or otherwise-modified.
I honestly think your car should be putting out like 280rwhp and 240rwtq at least. Perhaps the AWD dyno had something to do with it? I'm not particularly sure. I do know that Gernard used the same dyno as I did, under same operator and gear runs, so I'd take a look at those for comparison?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 08:56 AM   #382
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster TiAG/black

mmm, beta? have you let your car adapt for 200 miles before going to the dyno?
You also need the uncorrected data.

This is making me wonder if i should go dyno my car before installing the ESS supercharger because when the supercharger is installed i won't be of any help to you NA guys.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #383
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
I'm honestly not sure why that dyno read so low. I understand that dyno-to-dyno differences in peak output #s are not exactly apples-to-apples comparisons, but there should be at least a ballpark range for stock or otherwise-modified.
I honestly think your car should be putting out like 280rwhp and 240rwtq at least. Perhaps the AWD dyno had something to do with it? I'm not particularly sure. I do know that Gernard used the same dyno as I did, under same operator and gear runs, so I'd take a look at those for comparison?
That's what I did last night, I looked at gernard's dyno and he's reading about 10hp higher at any point in the curve. He does have a gruppe M intake and his custom exhaust, but no headers! So I should have at least his numbers.

I'm going to see if I can get any other dynos of S54 owners on that same dyno.
      03-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #384
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

Anyone still having O2 and EGT codes? I am still having EGT and O2 codes after removing my cats completely and salman@evolve is still looking into the problem.

The car feels strong like before but this is making me wonder if this feeling is the throttle remapping, i don't know if i have time to get a dyno with the tune and dyno without the tune before installing the ESS supercharger VT2-500.

How many cars have reported power gains so far and how many reported O2 and EGT issues with decatted systems or EURO headers?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #385
marinb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikamak View Post
Anyone still having O2 and EGT codes? I am still having EGT and O2 codes after removing my cats completely and salman@evolve is still looking into the problem.

The car feels strong like before but this is making me wonder if this feeling is the throttle remapping, i don't know if i have time to get a dyno with the tune and dyno without the tune before installing the ESS supercharger VT2-500.

How many cars have reported power gains so far and how many reported O2 and EGT issues with decatted systems or EURO headers?
Do you have a CEL because it's throwing codes? Or are you talking about the readiness monitors not ready for O2 and EGT?

I don't have any codes, Sal fixed that. But my car is showing O2 and EGT not ready, I was told to do a drive cycle (but I haven't gotten around to it yet ... because it's a pain in the ass).
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #386
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

I still am having a CEL and when clearing it, it will come back after the first drive cycle.

I have told salman several times about it and he told me that he's looking for the reason why the CEL is still showing rather than just turning it off (quote).

This is my state since 3 months, I still have some patience in me because when i install the supercharger soon, it will have the ESS supercharger tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #387
TNZ4MC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M coupe

I am having issues with my readiness monitors not resetting. I do not have a cel and no codes show up when checked. I have had a couple of times when my battery died which reset the monitors but I have since driven the car 300 miles after getting a new battery. My setup is evolve tune with euro headers and euro S-pipe with all sensors hooked up accordingly. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #388
marinb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

It can take a while with normal driving for readiness to reset. If you want to speed up that process then Evolve will tell you to do a drive cycle, here is the link they sent me:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/att...-procedure.pdf

I haven't done it yet so I can't confirm if it works or not.

Last edited by marinb; 03-15-2013 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #389
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I get occasional EGT plausibility, but AFAIK that's normal because the DME is expecting the EGT to be in the US location. This is one of the reasons I want to flash euro DME software on there.

Haven't had any issues with O2s and I just got smogged. Just not overwhelmed with the power I'm making. But I still don't know how much of that is due to tune or valve adjustment pending.

I guess I'll find out when I re-dyno.
      03-15-2013, 04:23 PM   #390
marinb
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

We should do a dyno day together to compare tunes, plus get someone with a stock Z4M to baseline the dyno.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #391
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinb View Post
We should do a dyno day together to compare tunes, plus get someone with a stock Z4M to baseline the dyno.
I'm down for that. If we can get 3-5 from the bay area we can get good rates and really comparable numbers.
      03-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #392
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
I'm down for that. If we can get 3-5 from the bay area we can get good rates and really comparable numbers.
That's why I ran those dyno days while back lol, but not all the tunes were out back then unfortunately. You guys should've gotten baseline during that time though!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #393
kennyfrc
First Lieutenant
Rep

Question: How much more evidence is needed to prove what seems, at least to me, obvious?

Mods: OEM Euro Headers, RPI Scoop

Daily: 2010 Tacoma Double Cab
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 12:25 AM   #394
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyfrc View Post
Question: How much more evidence is needed to prove what seems, at least to me, obvious?
I should knock on wood, but I seem to be one of the people that got lucky...went to the same place to get dynoed each time, but I have a thread that shows stock dyno, dyno with intake and exhaust, and then dyno with Evolve tune, intake, and exhaust...and the dyno with the tune was by far the best, and the tune really did it's job to smooth out the power and give some decent gains overall...

Like I said though, I should keep my mouth shut...cause I feel like I'm one of the few with a tune that is running OEM headers, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I plan on getting my EU headers installed in a few months though, so I'll do another dyno run at the same place again to see what happens.

Maybe during that next dyno run we can get the locals with the tune to all do them at the same time. I know RobMcoupe is running EU headers with a tune and he told me that his car pulls like crazy since he had the tune installed, so I'd be interested to see what numbers he is putting down.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 12:33 AM   #395
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

I'll see if I have time in a few weeks to dyno my car. A group dyno sounds good.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 01:45 AM   #396
johanness
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I still am having a CEL and when clearing it, it will come back after the first drive cycle.

I have told salman several times about it and he told me that he's looking for the reason why the CEL is still showing rather than just turning it off (quote).

This is my state since 3 months, I still have some patience in me because when i install the supercharger soon, it will have the ESS supercharger tune.
I thought you were Evolve all the way?

Quote:
Wait till you try an evolve tune with euro headers, salman @ evolve is a genius.
After a few chats, i do not trust any other tuner, i will have him tune my ESS vt2-500.
The problems you are all having are NOT indicative of a Euro header install. When done correctly there should be no CEL, no 'readiness' fault, and no other issues (except a huge grin across your face).

ESS pioneered this tech for our cars (specifically), and their tune is flawless.
Appreciate 0