ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #287
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

I relocated my o2 sensors behind the 2ndary cats and it worked perfectly. Ran like this for a month or so, then got the tune it is still running great. Never seen a light. I opted not to have them do the catless o2 ready tune. So no info from me regarding that. I can however provide info on how to relocate your o2 sensors and not get a light.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #288
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
how has the success rate been for "catless 02 ready tune" ???

I see that zubydafa has had some issues but has it worked for everyone else?
I know the E46 M3 uses a different DME, but for what it's worth, I have bout thousands of miles on my Catless O2 Ready Tune without a single problem.

I know someone with an Evolve CF Airobx, Evolve AlphaN/Catless O2 Ready Tune, SS V1 Stepped Headers, and SS V1 SPipe (no cats) who recently passed OBDII Readiness Emissions Testing....

I would also love to hear from Z4Ms how their tunes are coming along. I know first hand that if something doesn't meet your standard, Evolve will do what it takes to make you a happy client!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #289
avsbmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Just got back from VIR and really have had some time in the car with this tune. It is definitely worth every penny. Pulls harder and smoother! I averaged 29.4 MPG on the 3 hour trip. I could not believe it. Evolve has had amazing customer support!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 10:05 PM   #290
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
how has the success rate been for "catless 02 ready tune" ???

I see that zubydafa has had some issues but has it worked for everyone else?
success in the sense i have no CEL

i guess i can overcome the readiness by going through some cycles recommended on the internet...

i don't even want to post my after dyno. it's ugly :/ running extremely rich.

i'll contact evolve before posting any charts.
      08-31-2012, 09:05 AM   #291
kennyfrc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubydafa View Post

i guess i can overcome the readiness by going through some cycles recommended on the internet...

I suspect your problem might be the AFE aftermarket intakes skew MAF calculations and are very difficult to tune for.

Mods: OEM Euro Headers, RPI Scoop

Daily: 2010 Tacoma Double Cab
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 09:09 AM   #292
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyfrc View Post
I suspect your problem might be the AFE aftermarket intakes skew MAF calculations and are very difficult to tune for.
The AFE could definitely be a problem, especially if it skews the flow of air hitting the MAF sensor.

On top of that, are you sure all your pre-cat O2 sensors are working properly or plugged in correctly?

There have been quite a few E46 M3 guys installing headers recently. Not pulling any codes, hop on the dyno either with or without a tune, only to be disappointed and finding out they are running very rich. End results, ends up being mixed up O2 sensors or damaged one.

It is definitely worth looking at. Best of luck. In either case, Evolve will help you out until you are happy.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 12:54 AM   #293
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

thanks all for the helpful suggestions. i'm certain the o2 censors were plugged in correctly but i'll give it another once over and a shop to second it for good measure.

here's my dyno sheet (cry).

09-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #294
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyfrc View Post
Then I should congratulate ESS, because my AFR readings are a steady 12.6 - 13.1 with an average of 12.8. The techs said it was one of the best tunes they've seen in a while (Mustang dyno btw). I'm running a 93 OCT tune with my DirectFlash (http://www.esstuning.com/products/ES...Software-.html).

Either OP has bunk tune, or there are other issues at play. Crossed O2's I think you can eliminate, because you'll know about it right away.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #295
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
thanks all for the helpful suggestions. i'm certain the o2 censors were plugged in correctly but i'll give it another once over and a shop to second it for good measure.

here's my dyno sheet (cry).

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...a387d16508.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d9...a25d0e54bc.jpg
That is NO WHERE near what Evolve targets for AFRs. Something is definitely not right. Either the tune or something mechanical. That doesn't even represent the power curve of the S54B32.

Regardless of what the cause is, Evolve Automotive will definitely sort you out. Keep us posted! Don't worry, when your car is running the way it's supposed to, you'll definitely feel it.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 06:02 PM   #296
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
That is NO WHERE near what Evolve targets for AFRs. Something is definitely not right. Either the tune or something mechanical. That doesn't even represent the power curve of the S54B32.

Regardless of what the cause is, Evolve Automotive will definitely sort you out. Keep us posted! Don't worry, when your car is running the way it's supposed to, you'll definitely feel it.
Thanks for the continual feedback flip.

I've emailed Evolve...i'm sure this will work itself out sooner enough.
      09-06-2012, 03:51 AM   #297
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster TiAG/black

The evolve software stopped working for me, it said "BETA version expired" or something like that.
Anyone had that happen ?

I have a check engine light and I want to check the codes.
My car has been making this weird sound coming from the header area, like a V8 engine even like a Harley. Does anyone think the tune might be the culprit as i have started to hear that more progressively ever since i put the tune.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 06:32 AM   #298
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikamak View Post
The evolve software stopped working for me, it said "BETA version expired" or something like that.
Anyone had that happen ?

My car has been making this weird sound coming from the header area, like a V8 engine even like a Harley. Does anyone think the tune might be the culprit as i have started to hear that more progressively ever since i put the tune.
I'll send you a PM soon.

Did you also recently install your headers before the tune?
Do you feel a loss in power?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #299
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Anyone had that happen ?
Yes completely normal. Evolve puts an expiration on their software because they want to make sure everyone is on the latest and greatest. Having had to deal with support I understand how you sometimes may want to force your clients to upgrade (even if it's a little annoying).

Quote:
Pull codes first and we can go from there. Most likely the tune has nothing to do with it. Could be a blown coil (is the car shaking and misfiring?).
      09-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #300
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Quote:
Anyone had that happen ?

I recall someone saying their car was making a v8 sound (which they liked) but knew something was amiss. It was an engine mount problem or a heat shield rubbing on the headers or something like that. Wait for your car to cool down and check out the engine mounts to see if they are good, and the area around the headers for rubbing.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 04:01 AM   #301
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

Yeah i saw that post txz4, i will check up on the engine mount bracket bolts.

@flipm3: i sent a PM, i doubt it's from the tune as the car is now a complete race car, I can barely hold its power after the tune. I have installed headers before flashing the car with the tune and this V8 growl on idle and up was ever so slight.

Could a headers leak cause this? maybe a blown egt sensor? i hope it's not something internal in the exhaust part of the engine, bearings or something like that.

Anyway, i bought the ecs tuning level 3 vanos filter change with the updated vanos bolts as well, will be tackling the issues one by one.

Just to clarify the sound, i will post a sample audio when i get back home, but for now i will describe it like this: luga luga luga luga luga as frequent as the RPMs and will rise up in frequence till 2500 RPM (at this point the afe intake and the diablo exhaust will be louder) i hope this helps a little.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 04:03 AM   #302
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

oh one more thing: the car's mpg seems to have dropped by maybe 30%

no shaking from the car. will check up the codes, maybe it will tell the rest of the story. (i got the engine light one morning when i went full redline on its ass 1st-4rth gear, then drove it @ 60mph like an idiot after the check engine light)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 04:06 AM   #303
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

Sorry to post in here: imran and salman @evolve, the car issues are probably not related to the tune, i will take my posts elsewhere, i just wanted to ask about the software, that's it.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #304
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

No problem tikamak. We do expect you to come back here and post a new dyno sheet once you figure it out

A few of us are pending dyno, but life keeps getting in the way.
      09-10-2012, 02:53 AM   #305
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

concerning the dyno, i can say that the butt dyno is way different after the tune.
How can i explain it, mmm, let's just say that the car feels like an angry bulldog, the torque seems better at all RPMs and it pulls like crazy, no more slouching like it's the summer blues.

As for the sound, i have posted a clip on youtube:

Please hear the sounds and lemme know what do you think.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #306
sabbanick
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 SBM M coupe

tuff to say from that video, did you have any fitment issues while installing headers?

I ask cause might as well exclude it from the picture and its and should be an easy fix.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #307
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep

no problems in fitment at all, do you think maybe it's a header gasket leak ? coz the mechanic did not change them all.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #308
txz4
Major
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Quote:
concerning the dyno, i can say that the butt dyno is way different after the tune.
How can i explain it, mmm, let's just say that the car feels like an angry bulldog, the torque seems better at all RPMs and it pulls like crazy, no more slouching like it's the summer blues.

As for the sound, i have posted a clip on youtube:

Please hear the sounds and lemme know what do you think.
It sounds like something is wrong with the headers, a leak or a rub or something. That "blub blub blub" sound is odd, i would assume headers. Take of the little heat shield and re-tighten all of the header nuts, then check for odd noise, it wont take more than 30 minutes.
Appreciate 0