ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-20-2018, 09:38 PM   #1
kav
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M

I noticed some wet spots under the car when it was up on the lift after a track day. The pattern seemed weird but after some online reading I was convinced it was the CPV so I ordered a new one and was ready to replace it. When I put the car up on the lift and the lower shield removed the CPV looks rusted and does not appear to be leaking.

I snapped some pictures to see if you guys have any ideas. It may just be the oil pan gasket but it would not fully explain weird pattern seen. Also, it does appear wherever it is coming from there isn't enough to drop on the shield or on the ground.

Sorry the pictures got out of order when I posted them.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 08:46 AM   #2
kav
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 10:03 AM   #3
steffenme1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 MCoupe

Hard to tell from the pics but if it's not the CPV there isn't a whole lot else in that area minus the pan itself or the giant plug thingy mentioned here:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1490299

I'd replace the CPV (they all leak eventually it seems) clean everything really well and inspect again in thousand miles or so.

Good luck,
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 12:05 PM   #4
kav
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffenme1 View Post
Hard to tell from the pics but if it's not the CPV there isn't a whole lot else in that area minus the pan itself or the giant plug thingy mentioned here:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1490299

I'd replace the CPV (they all leak eventually it seems) clean everything really well and inspect again in thousand miles or so.

Good luck,
Great advice. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 12:49 PM   #5
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Judging from the stains on the bottom reinforcement plate the leak is on the other side.

Maybe the OFHG?

Could also be the VCG (although leakage usually starts on the other side), or an oil pressure sensor ring.
Hard to tell really based on these pictures. Start cleaning your engine, drive for a while and look for small drops.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 03:05 PM   #6
kav
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Judging from the stains on the bottom reinforcement plate the leak is on the other side.

Maybe the OFHG?

Could also be the VCG (although leakage usually starts on the other side), or an oil pressure sensor ring.
Hard to tell really based on these pictures. Start cleaning your engine, drive for a while and look for small drops.
I'll spray it all down with break cleaner and monitor. I appreciate the advice.

The CPV is so rusty I'm not looking forward to that.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 03:50 PM   #7
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

I wouldnt touch that cpv if it isnt leaking.

It might be quite some while before it starts to leak, or it may never leak.
And if it starts to leak its a really easy fix imho. (and like you said, now its rusty, then it probably wont anymore and the threads will be well lubed with that oil sucked in there under heat from engine and exahaust)
And who says that if you change it now it wont start to leak or starts to leak later.
There is no set time or mileage on a leaky cpv so this cpv might hold just as long from now than of you change it now and the new one will hold.

If it starts to leak it wont be a massive leak and easily fixed during the next oil change you do on that engine I think.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 06:46 PM   #8
kav
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
I wouldnt touch that cpv if it isnt leaking.

It might be quite some while before it starts to leak, or it may never leak.
And if it starts to leak its a really easy fix imho. (and like you said, now its rusty, then it probably wont anymore and the threads will be well lubed with that oil sucked in there under heat from engine and exahaust)
And who says that if you change it now it wont start to leak or starts to leak later.
There is no set time or mileage on a leaky cpv so this cpv might hold just as long from now than of you change it now and the new one will hold.

If it starts to leak it wont be a massive leak and easily fixed during the next oil change you do on that engine I think.
Makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 08:07 PM   #9
kav
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I used some brake cleaner to clean off the under carriage of the car.

Two things I noted. The power steering expansion hose towards the front of the engine looks rushed and could be leaking. I never had mine repaired with the TSB. Could that cause all this?

There is a small oil trail on the passenger side of the engine that is making its way all the way down to the wet spots I saw earlier. I wonder if it is actually from higher up. Really hard to tell since it all looks a little wet.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 11:12 AM   #10
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
... There is a small oil trail on the passenger side of the engine that is making its way all the way down to the wet spots I saw earlier. I wonder if it is actually from higher up. Really hard to tell since it all looks a little wet.
Vanos?
      05-22-2018, 01:58 PM   #11
kav
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kav View Post
... There is a small oil trail on the passenger side of the engine that is making its way all the way down to the wet spots I saw earlier. I wonder if it is actually from higher up. Really hard to tell since it all looks a little wet.
Vanos?
Well that sounds more scary.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 04:06 PM   #12
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

If it's the O-ring plate, that's super easy to replace.
If it's the gasket to the head, that's a faff.
      05-22-2018, 07:09 PM   #13
kav
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Do these pictures help?
It is definitely cling form the passenger side. I need to look at what all these structures are.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 07:56 PM   #14
kav
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I know the pictures are terrible but I think it is the vanos oil accumulator. I'm going to call it quits on tracing this one and take it in to my Indy shop.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 12:52 PM   #15
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Be interested to know what they find.
That's how my leak started.
First was just a "high grime neighborhood" around the front of the block up under the Vanos down to the harmonic damper.
Then started to see drips off the chain tensioner and wetness on the AC compressor.
Replaced the tensioner crush washer, but no joy.
Now it's just a royal mess all over the front suspension and on the driveway.

Been waiting for something major to break before taking it in for comprehensive service.
      05-24-2018, 04:18 PM   #16
kav
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Be interested to know what they find.
That's how my leak started.
First was just a "high grime neighborhood" around the front of the block up under the Vanos down to the harmonic damper.
Then started to see drips off the chain tensioner and wetness on the AC compressor.
Replaced the tensioner crush washer, but no joy.
Now it's just a royal mess all over the front suspension and on the driveway.

Been waiting for something major to break before taking it in for comprehensive service.
Well that sounds scary.
Appreciate 0