ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-06-2018, 09:18 PM   #1
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Child Seat Install

So before I get crucified for asking, my kid always rides in the X3 or E90, but I was surprised to see the Z4 manual startes the car is equipped with isofix (latches) as well as tether anchor point (trunk). I knew the passenger airbag could be deactivated but assumed it was just for a young child but too big for a convertible seat.

So has anyone here actually installed a child seat on passenger side? If so was it front/rear facing, and how did you actually secure (latch, 3 point belts, etc)? Pics would be awesome too... I was thinking how it’d be nice to have my kid ride occasionally with me just around town.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 05-06-2018 at 11:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
MOEDARE140.00
      05-07-2018, 07:24 AM   #2
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

I’ve installed my kids seat a few times, rear facing using the latches. Not difficult at all, esp with the top down I remember reading that it’s no sweat for the coupe too.

Kiddo digs it, but I wasn’t really comfortable going more than a couple blocks with the terrible drivers around here. Seems like a kid would be F’ed if you get hit on the passenger side.
      05-07-2018, 08:05 AM   #3
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
I’ve installed my kids seat a few times, rear facing using the latches. Not difficult at all, esp with the top down I remember reading that it’s no sweat for the coupe too.

Kiddo digs it, but I wasn’t really comfortable going more than a couple blocks with the terrible drivers around here. Seems like a kid would be F’ed if you get hit on the passenger side.
Thanks, dunno bout you but even the wider flatter rear bench in my x3 gets those permanent dents/creases in leather if I don’t use a towel underneath the child seat base. I’d imagine the Z4 sport seats would be even subject to it worse.
      05-07-2018, 09:07 AM   #4
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Yeah you’ll def be putting some pressure on the seat bolsters. I haven’t had any permanent marks/dents etc, but again my trips have been pretty short. Have both used a cover and mounted it “bare”. Kids’ seat was prob installed for a couple hours max each time on trips to the park. I suppose the shape of your kids seat could make a difference here, mine is really wide and flat.

05-07-2018, 09:38 AM   #5
steffenme1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 MCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
So before I get crucified for asking
Yeah... so my daughter has ridden in the Z4 a few times (forward facing, airbag deactivated) and she absolutely loves it. It's super cool for her because she can see the pedals and gear shifter and gets a whole new perspective of driving. The only reason I don't take her in it more often is because I'm worried about being confronted by an angry mob.

I put a towel down and I still end up with little leather indention marks for a bit, but as others have said it's likely dependent on the model seat you're using.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 01:15 PM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
Yeah you’ll def be putting some pressure on the seat bolsters. I haven’t had any permanent marks/dents etc, but again my trips have been pretty short. Have both used a cover and mounted it “bare”. Kids’ seat was prob installed for a couple hours max each time on trips to the park. I suppose the shape of your kids seat could make a difference here, mine is really wide and flat.
Adorable! She looks really happy riding shotgun in the Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffenme1 View Post
Yeah... so my daughter has ridden in the Z4 a few times (forward facing, airbag deactivated) and she absolutely loves it. It's super cool for her because she can see the pedals and gear shifter and gets a whole new perspective of driving. The only reason I don't take her in it more often is because I'm worried about being confronted by an angry mob.

I put a towel down and I still end up with little leather indention marks for a bit, but as others have said it's likely dependent on the model seat you're using.
Thanks for sharing, very helpful
      05-07-2018, 02:03 PM   #7
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

I've done it before as well with open top, picking her up from daycare, rear facing. She was so happy and holding my shifting hand at all times and looking up the sky.

I had the recaro rear facing. Towel doesn't do much at protecting. I use a car seat mat that save denting and marking of different seats.

FB Group-- > fb.com/groups/z4group
Instagram --> @Skyermotorsport
FB Page-- > fb.com/Skyermotorsport
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 12:34 PM   #8
jimmi1977
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M roadster

My kids are driven daily in summer months from/to daycare in my Z4 coupe, front facing carseat.

They are super happy about it, and it's a short trip of 2km on local streets so I don't worry about it. Besides, it's not a light car and front/rear impact will not be a problem. Only impact in passenger side door is relatively dangerous.

My 2.5 year old son already knows how manual transmission works )
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 10:23 PM   #9
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Thanks everyone, exactly type of responses I was looking for
      05-12-2018, 02:10 PM   #10
HoosierHodge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 2006 Z4MC

I tried our Reacro seat but all the weight was on the bolsters in the coupe. I researched narrow seats and found the Diono R100 (and other models) that is a near perfect fit. We have 3 young kids so I'm buying another so we can fit 3 across in our Mazda6 when the minivan needs work.

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 12:12 PM   #11
86Zed
Get off my lawn
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Garage List
Revamping this from the dead. Any recommendations on a front facing setup for a toddler? Usage a handful of times a year to daycare and perhaps a Cars and Coffee event.

Or should I just avoid that possibility entirely? Protective parent but I have reasonable limits.

My seats are slowly going toast anyway, will install/uninstall to avoid extra wear.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2022, 09:45 PM   #12
jmilt13
Private
Rep
Drives: 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
I've used a few different seats in the Z4 coupe. If you want something you can just leave in the trunk (and depending on your safety requirements) I would recommend a mifold. Its nice for short trips, backup, or vacation ubering...
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2022, 07:40 AM   #13
sipman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierHodge View Post
I tried our Reacro seat but all the weight was on the bolsters in the coupe. I researched narrow seats and found the Diono R100 (and other models) that is a near perfect fit. We have 3 young kids so I'm buying another so we can fit 3 across in our Mazda6 when the minivan needs work.

Ditto for me, although not with a Recaro seat but some folding travel seat with side-impact protection I cannot remember the name of. Regardless, what I found is my standard forward facing seats came with a foam positioning bolster for newborns that was perfect to place in the center of the passenger seat and then position the child seat on top of that to lift it above the side bolsters (Mcar. maybe the non-M cars have wider seats?).
I will also give a thumbs up to the MiFold mentioned earlier as a belt-positioning travel booster that works really well. It's a really convenient travel solution, but if there's any chance your kid will fall asleep on your drive he/she will be flopping around in the seat since there's nothing to lean their head upon except the BMW's seat itself.