ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-10-2009, 08:56 PM   #1
jbh
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

AutoX questions - Z4M roadster

I am planning on buying a Z4M roadster in the next 2 months (2006/2007). I plan to use it as a daily driver 60% of the time. In addition I would like to do some AutoX with it.

I understand it may not be the perfect car to start with and I should buy a Miata, but I don't want to drive a Miata as a daily driver 60% of the time. I love the Z4M and it is the roadster I want to buy.

My question is how bad am I going to eat up my tires if I do this 6 times a year give or take? Is one or 2 sessions going to wear them out? I know it is dependent on many variables but I am just looking for a general answer. If I get real serious then maybe I should be looking at a dedicated set of AutoX tires and wheels.

Also any other items that may wear out quikly doing AutoX with this frequency?

I have not seen a lot of info about AutoX in a M roadster.

I also know the roadster may not be a good choice if I ever track the car because it is a convertible but if I get that serious I will look at different options.

Thanks for the help, I plan to keep my eye out for a good condition 2006/2007 M roadster.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2009, 11:41 PM   #2
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbh View Post
I am planning on buying a Z4M roadster in the next 2 months (2006/2007). I plan to use it as a daily driver 60% of the time. In addition I would like to do some AutoX with it.

I understand it may not be the perfect car to start with and I should buy a Miata, but I don't want to drive a Miata as a daily driver 60% of the time. I love the Z4M and it is the roadster I want to buy.

My question is how bad am I going to eat up my tires if I do this 6 times a year give or take? Is one or 2 sessions going to wear them out? I know it is dependent on many variables but I am just looking for a general answer. If I get real serious then maybe I should be looking at a dedicated set of AutoX tires and wheels.

Also any other items that may wear out quikly doing AutoX with this frequency?...
I'll let others comment more about autocross tire wear but I tend to lean towards tire wear being related to driving "style" (or lack thereof -- overd-driving the car is going to wear out the tires quicker and result in slower times) and rubber compound (softer tires obviously wear out quicker).
Quote:
...Also any other items that may wear out quikly doing AutoX with this frequency?
Brakes. You'll likely also want to change your oil more frequently.

Quote:
I also know the roadster may not be a good choice if I ever track the car because it is a convertible but if I get that serious I will look at different options.
The ///M roadster has a torsional rigidity rating that rivals most other sports coupes. So your concern here, really isn't valid with the ///M roadster.

I just noticed you're from Cowtown. You should come out to Motorsports Ranch and do HPDEs instead of autocrosses...Much more fun in my opinion.
      08-11-2009, 07:49 AM   #3
jbh
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the reply. My concern about the roadster was due to safety requirements of tracks as far as convertibles vs coupes, as some tracks will not allow them at certain events from what I have read.

Yes, I have been to visit MSR a few times and talked to a few people. I have done a couple parade laps on my motorcycle and ridden passenger on the short track in a turbo miata. That was enought to peak my interest for sure.

I do admit when I was at an autocross event to watch someone I know there was definately a lot of down time when you were not driving, which seems to make for a long day.

Do you have a recommendation for an HPDE event?

Now I just need to get the car first.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 10:23 AM   #4
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep

To get you started, you need to look at www.APEXDrivingAcademy.com . They're the best for first timers and they're by far the safest.

No tracks in the area have any rules about convertibles and roll bars/hoops. These are normally individual club (not track) rules and the only club in the area that has such a rule is actually the BMW club.

Area HPDE clubs you can run with (without needing roll bars/hoops):
  • Maverick Porsche (www.Motorsportsreg.com) - Some of the best instructors and it's fun to beat up on P-cars. These are always 2-day events so tend to take more time and planning on your part.
  • APEX Driving Academy (www.APEXDrivingAcademy.com) - Great for beginners and very safe. These are always 1-day events.
  • Driver's Edge (www.thedriversedge.net) - Run with them at your own risk. Lots of attitude, lots of wrecks. These are always 2-day events so tend to take more time and planning on your part.
To get any work done on your car that you can't do yourself or just don't have time for (brakes, oil, miscellaneous installs, etc), hit up Trent Cole (owner) of LoneStar Bavarian (www.LoneStarBavarian.com) on W. Vickery behind RailHead BBQ.
      08-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #5
GLF
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4, 3.0si SILVER

Tires? The run flats suck but will wear okay.
Class? Will be tough.
Downtime? I it just a day to have fun. If you drove all day you would
need tires and pit.
Get seat time and ask a lot of questions you will have a ball and you won't hurt you ride at all.
      08-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLF View Post
Tires? The run flats suck but will wear okay.
///Ms don't have run flats.
      08-11-2009, 09:52 PM   #7
jbh
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for all the info, lot of great information.
Appreciate 0