ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-03-2022, 08:05 PM   #1
Endrock9
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i XDrive

Question Water Leaking into Driver's Side Footwell

So I'm a new owner of a 2007 Z4 3.0si roadster and I'm encountering my first problem and need some guidance. I've noticed that the carpeting under the driver's seat is getting wet from an unknown source. When I removed the seat and pulled the carpet back it was just a swamp down there. I got it all cleaned and dried out and hosed it down to find where the leak is coming from. I know it's not the doors seeing as the water only comes in when the hose is pointed at the hood/windshield section. I've checked the cowl drains and they seem to be clear and I replaced the cowl cover and sealed it along with the windshield to but the floods persist. I'm pretty stumped as to what the next step should be. While digging down in there I noticed this tube going into the cabin that seems to be lose or not connected (see pictures). Not sure what it is but looks to be connected to the intake system. My questions are what is the tube for, should the seal be flush and water tight, and what are some other spots to check? Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 04:49 AM   #2
WickedNy
Get Some
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
07 z4 3.0si  [0.00]
I believe that part is part of the intake system…the sound baffling part of it I believe
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 04:53 AM   #3
WickedNy
Get Some
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
07 z4 3.0si  [0.00]
Somewhere on the forum somebody did an extensive breakdown as to what he found to be the cause of this issue…had the same problem myself. If you do a search you could find what your looking for
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 10:10 AM   #4
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

That's the sound tube that transmits intake sounds into the cabin. I think it is unique to the 3.0si. I'd be surprised if it was the source of a significant amount of water ingress, but I guess it's possible.

Have you determined whether it is entering the floor area from the front or the back of the car? I know the roadsters are infamous for collecting water in the area of the top motor, which I think has to do with top drains, which I think are behind the seats. I've only had coupes though so I don't know a lot more. If it is coming from the front I'd be looking around the windshield for water ingress, and the doors.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2022, 07:19 AM   #5
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

Assuming that all the stock shields and air dams are still installed under the front of the car, that part of the firewall should never get wet. But you could take a thin long screw diver an pop that seal back in to place then do the hose test again.

You have two drains on either side of the cowl where all the water from the windshield goes, try the hose test on one side at a time and see if that isolates the problem.
You might have to pull the carpets back in both the foot wells and have a helper spray water down those drains one at a time so you can see where on the firewall it is coming through.
      05-11-2022, 12:36 PM   #6
Endrock9
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
That's the sound tube that transmits intake sounds into the cabin. I think it is unique to the 3.0si. I'd be surprised if it was the source of a significant amount of water ingress, but I guess it's possible.

Have you determined whether it is entering the floor area from the front or the back of the car? I know the roadsters are infamous for collecting water in the area of the top motor, which I think has to do with top drains, which I think are behind the seats. I've only had coupes though so I don't know a lot more. If it is coming from the front I'd be looking around the windshield for water ingress, and the doors.
Well we've definitely determined the water to be coming from the front of the car as water only leaks through while the hose is on the windshield and hood area. We resealed everything but it still leaked. While down there I noticed how loose the seal on the sound pipe was. Anybody know if it need to be sealed completely. I can literally just pull it out with my hand so I imagine water could just drip in
Appreciate 0