ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
D Nice
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW Z4 3.0si

Suspension Noise-Loud Knock

Want to see if any of you guys can help out here. I'm having a loud clunk or knock from my front suspension every time I go up a steep driveway or parking lot entrance. It only happens when I enter in an angle. It seems to come from the firewall. From research that I've done it seems like loose strut bars from the fire wall to strut towers. I've read on the repair manual that these should probably be re-torqued. Torque values on the manual state 41 Nm for the nut. Replace the screw 56 Nm with a torque angle of 105 plus/minus 15. Has anyone tried to tackle this themselves. Any suggestions, should I try this myself or take it to a shop.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Nice View Post
Want to see if any of you guys can help out here. I'm having a loud clunk or knock from my front suspension every time I go up a steep driveway or parking lot entrance. It only happens when I enter in an angle. It seems to come from the firewall. From research that I've done it seems like loose strut bars from the fire wall to strut towers. I've read on the repair manual that these should probably be re-torqued. Torque values on the manual state 41 Nm for the nut. Replace the screw 56 Nm with a torque angle of 105 plus/minus 15. Has anyone tried to tackle this themselves. Any suggestions, should I try this myself or take it to a shop.
You can tackle it yourself. It could also be:

-loose sway bar link, loose sway bar
-from the struts, especially if it is double adjustable

No shop needed at this point.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Quote:
Well published noise on forums since 2006. I never found what caused it. Only happened at my old office on the entrance to the parking garage.
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
I've read on the repair manual that these should probably be re-torqued. Torque values on the manual state 41 Nm for the nut. Replace the screw 56 Nm with a torque angle of 105 plus/minus 15. Has anyone tried to tackle this themselves. Any suggestions, should I try this myself or take it to a shop.
Easy to do. Note that it's either a nut or a one-use bolt. Since you have an 06 you more than likely have the nut kind, the bolts should not come lose since they are one-use.

Look in my mod thread in my sig for part numbers for Nord-Locks if you have the nuts and want to make sure they stay put.
      06-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #5
D Nice
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the input guys. Going to take a look this weekend since its not my daily driver. From what I've seen it has nuts on the firewall. Should they be replaced also or just re-torqued.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
D Nice
United_States
Rep

Look in my mod thread in my sig for part numbers for Nord-Locks if you have the nuts and want to make sure they stay put.[/QUOTE]

Beta, the Nord-Locks, are they just for firewall or firewall and strut tower?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 01:32 AM   #7
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys. Going to take a look this weekend since its not my daily driver. From what I've seen it has nuts on the firewall. Should they be replaced also or just re-torqued.
There's always nuts on the firewall side, what changed is the strut tower side.

Quote:
Beta, the Nord-Locks, are they just for firewall or firewall and strut tower?
If you have nuts, it's the same nut on all 4 corners. If you have bolts, you could try replacing them but it's less likely to be your problem. Worth a shot though.
      06-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #8
D Nice
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the help guys. Re-torqued the firewall nuts and everything seems to be fine. Don't hear any noises at all. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0