ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-29-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
Russianog
Rep
Drives: None ATM

Reliability?

Hey, I did a search but didn't get a real definitive answer,

Purchasing a regular Z4, either 2.5i or 3.0, whatever I can really find in the area, and was wondering on it's reliability if kept up with regular maintenance. I know certain cars have common problems that occur when for instance cars reach around 100 or 150k miles.

The year range of this Z would be 04-05. I've seen a couple fairly priced sitting at 70k miles

How well built are these and how many miles can they endure before serious problems occur, is it worth getting an extended warranty?

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

I think its always worth getting the extended warranty, and make sure it includes maintenance, and not just the big stuff.

Biggest repair ticket can be rusted/broken soft top motor, if the drains aren't cleaned on the early vehicles. A throttle position sensor or a MAF can go bad with time, but other than those things, I haven't had anything major on my 2003 3.0 for 3 years and now my 2006 M for almost 3 years.
      03-01-2012, 07:26 AM   #3
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russianog View Post
How well built are these and how many miles can they endure before serious problems occur, is it worth getting an extended warranty?
The car is essentially an E46 3-series, so it's just as reliable with a few foibles. As RW mentioned, the top motor can fail if the drains clog with debris, which is more a problem with cars kept outside near trees. The factory rear springs can break if you're near bad roads. The early cars can have issues with the EPS (electronic power steering) feeling sticky in warmer climates.

Aside from those, keeping one running a lot of miles is almost identical to the 3-series, and at least a couple of Z4 owners are close to or over 200k miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2012, 08:12 AM   #4
Walkurie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster / 99 Jaguar XK8

As Roffle brings out, these cars can be as complex as any other modern car. Other big ticket items are the control modules, such as DSC, TCU. Have them scanned by a knowledgeable tech to make sure they are in operating condition. A defective DSC can run over $2K, installed. They may not be obvious on a test drive.