ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
gcochard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Got some maintenance records

I called the dealer my car was serviced at before I purchased...

It had a service at 10k and 15k, I bought it at 17k, I changed the oil at 20k, and sent in a sample to blackstone. They came back saying it was 10W-30.

Why on EARTH would a BMW dealer throw that crap in the s54?

Needless to say, I won't be setting foot in that dealer's service dept, even if they were cheaper than an indy shop.

Yes I did know going in what maintenance it had, it showed up on the carfax.

The surprising thing is the fact that the BMW dealer put that oil in, not the chevy dealer I bought it from. Makes me wonder if Crevier put 10W-30 in at the 10k mark too...

I'll be doing inspection 1 here very soon, so I'll take some pics with the valve cover off and I'll post a full report of valve clearances/shim replacements.

Last edited by gcochard; 02-29-2012 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhopper View Post
I called the dealer my car was serviced at before I purchased...

It had a service at 10k and 15k, I bought it at 17k, I changed the oil at 20k, and sent in a sample to blackstone. They came back saying it was 5w-30.

Why on EARTH would a BMW dealer throw that crap in the s54?

Needless to say, I won't be setting foot in that dealer's service dept, even if they were cheaper than an indy shop.

Yes I did know going in what maintenance it had, it showed up on the carfax.

The surprising thing is the fact that the BMW dealer put that oil in, not the chevy dealer I bought it from. Makes me wonder if Crevier put 5w-30 in at the 10k mark too...

I'll be doing inspection 1 here very soon, so I'll take some pics with the valve cover off and I'll post a full report of valve clearances/shim replacements.

Id be soooooo pissed. That can really jack up the motor. What were your lead levels?
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Now you have me worried...My previous 2 "free" oil changes were done at Crevier and both times overfilled. But it did indicated 10-60w TWS oil were used
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

Another horror story about a dealership messing up a simple oil change? No way! I don't believe it!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #5
gcochard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Lead was only 4, iron was a little bit high at 22. The averages were based on 4800 miles.

It had 5k miles on the oil given the mileage of the last service and the mileage of my first oil change after I bought it.

Just checked the report and it said oil was in the range of 10W-30, not 5W-30. Sorry for the mix up. Original post has been fixed.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
gcochard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Here's the full blackstone report.

Note that it says 7600 miles, but that was based on the inspection counter, not the actual mileage. Actual mileage was 5000-6000.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 02:17 PM   #7
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

When I got my Z4 the first think I did was change ALL the fluids and send the motor oil to blackstone. Wish more people did that.

That's not good for screwing up the oil change, but can you post the rest of the blackstone results? At 17k I doubt your engine was tracked and under normal conditions 10w-30 shouldn't do HORRIBLE damage.

I'm not familiar with 10w60, but at what temps is a 60w oil? For s54 hopefully extreme heat as in track temps. I'd investigate that and hopefully under normal conditions you're okay long term.

I've got my fingers crossed for you!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #8
gcochard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by santov View Post
When I got my Z4 the first think I did was change ALL the fluids and send the motor oil to blackstone. Wish more people did that.

That's not good for screwing up the oil change, but can you post the rest of the blackstone results? At 17k I doubt your engine was tracked and under normal conditions 10w-30 shouldn't do HORRIBLE damage.

I'm not familiar with 10w60, but at what temps is a 60w oil? For s54 hopefully extreme heat as in track temps. I'd investigate that and hopefully under normal conditions you're okay long term.

I've got my fingers crossed for you!
Blackstone is in previous post, we posted at the same time

I did change the diff and trans fluid at 17k right after purchase just to be sure. The indy shop I took it to uses redline and they add friction modifier for the M diffs.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
Walkurie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster / 99 Jaguar XK8

Be careful of the dealers in the area. I found one liter too much after a service stop at McKenna one time. Training? One wonders.

If you are looking for a good shop in Costa Mesa, I recommend Bullet.
      02-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #10
gcochard
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbalutis View Post
Be careful of the dealers in the area. I found one liter too much after a service stop at McKenna one time. Training? One wonders.

If you are looking for a good shop in Costa Mesa, I recommend Bullet.
That's where I had the diff and trans fluids changed. I'll be going there for inspection 1 if I can't get an m3forum member to do the adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #11
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Looks like its cool according to the ppm.

I stand over my dealership when they do the oil. Thank god I only have one more left on their dime. Yes I said that. Then Ill do my own for $110 like I did on the roadster. I did one on my own dime last spring after storage. The one before that after the car was bought was done by them and overfilled by a quart or liter. They then got an attitude when I bought it back in to drain and have been dicks ever since. Going in next week since it's been a year since they did there overfill change.

I need to point out the new resprayed front lip too. They love to scrape it. Post it note with "no wash" on the steering wheel is also a plus
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch View Post
Looks like its cool according to the ppm.

I stand over my dealership when they do the oil. Thank god I only have one more left on their dime. Yes I said that. Then Ill do my own for $110 like I did on the roadster. I did one on my own dime last spring after storage. The one before that after the car was bought was done by them and overfilled by a quart or liter. They then got an attitude when I bought it back in to drain and have been dicks ever since. Going in next week since it's been a year since they did there overfill change.

I need to point out the new resprayed front lip too. They love to scrape it. Post it note with "no wash" on the steering wheel is also a plus
DIY Oil change in an M is by far the easiest I have experienced between all the imports and domestics I've had. The filter on top really makes the change a breeze. I recommend everybody who gives a shit about their cars to just bite the bullet and get the oil from a BMW dealer and do it at home

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 04:06 PM   #13
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakib View Post
DIY Oil change in an M is by far the easiest I have experienced between all the imports and domestics I've had. The filter on top really makes the change a breeze. I recommend everybody who gives a shit about their cars to just bite the bullet and get the oil from a BMW dealer and do it at home
Agreed. Tischer has the whole kit (oil and all) for around $115 I believe.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 04:59 PM   #14
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch View Post
Agreed. Tischer has the whole kit (oil and all) for around $115 I believe.
Yes and their prices seem to raise a few dollars every time When I started in late 2008 it was only $88 shipped. Still much cheaper than buying at the stealership though.
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #15
dubsesd
#dubspec
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/ 2016 F80 M3 INDVL

The only BMW record my car has is the 1200 mile service. Oil changes were done privately and I plan on doing inspection 1 whenever it comes privately as well. I hate bringing my car to the dealership, and fear that I might get it back with a ding, scratched wheel or fangs.
MPE / M Performance & Carbon package / KW v3 / 20" HRE R101LW / 20" HRE 527s / Michelin PSS / 20% tint / 3d Design / Streckenn splitters / OEM GTS hood / EAS Carbon seatbacks / Carbon RKP sideskirt / Bootmod3 / M Performance Tri color alcantara / AWE S Flow
instagram: @ dubsesd
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #16
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aestheticstorm View Post
Yes and their prices seem to raise a few dollars every time When I started in late 2008 it was only $88 shipped. Still much cheaper than buying at the stealership though.
Yep remember that. First kit was $88 to my door. Damn oil prices i guess.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #17
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubsesd View Post
The only BMW record my car has is the 1200 mile service. Oil changes were done privately and I plan on doing inspection 1 whenever it comes privately as well. I hate bringing my car to the dealership, and fear that I might get it back with a ding, scratched wheel or fangs.
I know its anal as all get out, but I take about four pictures of the front end and time stamp them. Especially the fangs. My dealer has some ghetto ass curbs and ramps going everywhere. And Ive caught a few glimpses of the guys who drive the cars in and out.3

Caught a kid in St.Louis (unnamed) dealership revving my cold S54 roadster up 30 minutes after I bought it. They were detailing it while I was doing paperwork and I just happened to finish up while they were. Saw him and heard him from 150 ft away rev it in neutral and bump the rev limiter(or as far it would go, as it was cold). My brother was with me at the time(he's a hot head 8th grade history teacher) and we about had a homicide on our hands. Received free oil changes. All good but not going to a Toyota dealership for S54 oil changes.
Appreciate 0