ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-25-2009, 11:31 AM   #1
bkz4mc
Mars Bitches... Red Rocks !
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Couple cool AX vids...

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 11:59 AM   #2
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Awesome! The 3rd video is an excellent representation of how nicely our cars rotate. I was down at NJMP this past weekend and a E36M3 driver behind me was remarking on how composed the car looked as it just pivoted itself around turns. Even with stock suspension, this car is truly an amazing driver's car.

...if you can get used to being on the rear axle.
      08-25-2009, 12:03 PM   #3
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCz04Bimmer View Post
...if you can get used to being on the rear axle.
Sitting on the rear axle has a side benefit...It means when your car starts "rotate" you'll feel it and feel it quick. I have little to no problem feeling the rotation start and counter-steer before terminal oversteer, while the last time I spun I was in a G37s and boy that was the LONGEST and slowest spin I was ever in and I was just downright shocked that I didn't catch it.

The sensation of rotation is magnified in this car since you do sit so far back.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
bkz4mc
United_States
Rep

In all honesty guys, this car pushes like hell in tight stuff still... I need to do a lot of work to it to make it better. I drop my front pressure a couple psi from the back, and took out the firewall braces to help it stick a little more as well for now.

I really need to put in some camber plates for more neg camber, coil overs and sways so I can have more control of the set-up. I need to get the ass to rotate more...
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 12:50 PM   #5
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Sitting on the rear axle has a side benefit...It means when your car starts "rotate" you'll feel it and feel it quick.
You bet! I love it. I was able to correct my inputs so much more quickly because I felt what was going on almost immediately. So much fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkz4mc View Post
In all honesty guys, this car pushes like hell in tight stuff still... I need to do a lot of work to it to make it better. I drop my front pressure a couple psi from the back, and took out the firewall braces to help it stick a little more as well for now.

I really need to put in some camber plates for more neg camber, coil overs and sways so I can have more control of the set-up. I need to get the ass to rotate more...
The negative camber will help. At the same time, I am running stock EVERYTHING and find that on the track (not AutoX) the car rotates very nicely and have found that its factory-issued understeer is significantly less than other BMWs out there. It pushes more than I'd like, sure, but I haven't found it unmanageable.
      08-25-2009, 12:58 PM   #6
bkz4mc
United_States
Rep

It handles better and more balanced at higher speeds for sure... there was a walloms section that I was doing at about 50 / 55 or so and you could bend it through there nicely.

Just when you get at the lower speeds she becomes picky... hahaha
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 01:42 PM   #7
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It handles better and more balanced at higher speeds for sure... there was a walloms section that I was doing at about 50 / 55 or so and you could bend it through there nicely.

Just when you get at the lower speeds she becomes picky... hahaha
Interesting! I can say that I haven't really done very much low speed maneuvering. Just high speed track events at NJMP and the infinitely fast Watkins Glen...
      08-25-2009, 02:00 PM   #8
Z4MCJJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Quote:

The car does push like a bulldozer with stocker suspension and even with Dinan springs...the two options I previously tried.

I recommend you add negative camber at the least.

I am running TCKline D/As and the understeer problem has been solved. At my last track outing I tried like hell to have the car understeer like it used to...same track so I was acutely aware of previous problem corners....NO understeer even with my garbage Toyo T1Rs...I have a set of Bridgestone RE-01Rs waiting to be laced up.

Next I will add stiffer GC sway bars and call it good.

Very marked improvement with coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 03:11 PM   #9
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

This car rotates with throttle better than brakes. For the real slow stuff, bury the throttle to the floor when you have the steering wheel cranked.

Then get ready to catch the spin. For auto-cross you absolutely got to drive like you're a total idiot to get a fast time in this car. For the track you have got to do the complete opposite.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 03:24 PM   #10
JCz04Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
This car rotates with throttle better than brakes. For the real slow stuff, bury the throttle to the floor when you have the steering wheel cranked.

Then get ready to catch the spin. For auto-cross you absolutely got to drive like you're a total idiot to get a fast time in this car. For the track you have got to do the complete opposite.
Couldn't be more true. At the same time though, you really can use the throttle to rotate the car nicely at the track but do it too close to the limit (or wall?) and it'll get away from you entirely too quickly for comfort. This past weekend I was really enjoying using the brakes to settle the nose and get some front-end bite from trailbraking and then clicking over to the throttle to get some additional rotation. That... and this car squats so much under acceleration (with stock suspension at least) that throttle lift oversteer was a blast to toy with...