ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-16-2013, 08:47 AM   #45
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

The only part design wise I'm not to sure about is the back looks too much like a Camaro for me. The interior is also blah which is what I was really looking forward to because they desperately needed to update that. It's better, but it still has this odd Fisher Price look to it dunno. Overall it's pretty nice though I would buy a used one once they come way down. Hell I wonder if the price of C6s will drop now. I was actually looking at some when I was shopping for the Z but they all seemed to be significantly more pricey.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 09:43 AM   #46
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love View Post
7spd with defeatable throttle blipping,
That is a cool feature. I also like that it is available with a manual because in europe the trend is that more and more sportscars are only available with automatics or dual clutches (fast, but don't have the feeling/experience when you shift just right )
Does it also have a conventional mechanical LSD? (that's also hard to find in european sportscars nowadays )
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #47
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
That is a cool feature. I also like that it is available with a manual because in europe the trend is that more and more sportscars are only available with automatics or dual clutches (fast, but don't have the feeling/experience when you shift just right )
Does it also have a conventional mechanical LSD? (that's also hard to find in european sportscars nowadays )
Im pretty sure it has a mechanical LSD altough i didn't see that feature listed in the sales brochure. The Z51 package makes mention of an electronic LSD though.
      01-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #48
mgwatson48
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E86 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love View Post
The car makes more power, is more efficient, has better interior, more tech (launch control, cf hood and roof, brembos, drive modes, 7spd with defeatable throttle blipping, color heads up display, better tires, etc.) They did a tremendous job on paper. I bet the base 1LT will cost 50k.
You left out one slightly minor detail here... the fact that it looks like 4 cars in one and as a result looks like complete garbage.

I know you will say this is subjective, but outside of diehard, biased corvette owners/enthusiasts, anyone will think this thing belongs in a hot wheels package, not on the street. I will enjoy watching what top gear thinks of it lol
      01-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #49
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgwatson48 View Post
... the fact that it looks like 4 cars in one....
and to this point, here is yet another car's styling elements the Stingray picks up, the BMW E86. anyone else see what I do?
Attached Images

01-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #50
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
anyone will think this thing belongs in a hot wheels package,
Every corvette looks like that . That's what I like about them.

Quote:
I will enjoy watching what top gear thinks of it lol
Their opinions are very highly rated indeed
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #51
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep

Quote:
You left out one slightly minor detail here... the fact that it looks like 4 cars in one and as a result looks like complete garbage.

I know you will say this is subjective, but outside of diehard, biased corvette owners/enthusiasts, anyone will think this thing belongs in a hot wheels package, not on the street. I will enjoy watching what top gear thinks of it lol
It is subjective. Chris Bangle designed an entire generation of BMW. We got over it and sales were better than ever.
      01-17-2013, 06:46 AM   #52
kennyfrc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

BMW drivers will get plenty of time to observe all the design details of this car as it laps them around whatever track they're at, just like the previous generation.

Mods: OEM Euro Headers, RPI Scoop

Daily: 2010 Tacoma Double Cab
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 03:02 PM   #53
RichardTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 & Z4 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
so is an M3
(souped up 316i with bigger engine, modified drivetrain and suspension )
You, sir, need to drive a Toyota Yaris if you think any 3 series is an econobox...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #54
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Is the Yaris the smallest toyota available in the usa?
(in europe there are 2 models even below the yaris available )
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #55
mshanno1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

I love it. This is actually the first of the more modern body styles that I actually like. Here are some good photos of the actual interior.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c7-g...mpartment.html
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 06:18 PM   #56
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

What's interesting in going through a few pages on that forum is how similar the discussion is to the one here. Some like it, so do not (and those who do not have the same reasons folks have stated here). No one seems to be talking performance either--it's all about the look and emotional feel.

This is no different than BMW launching a new car or the DCT vs. MT or Turbo vs. NA discussions or the E30 vs. anything else etc., or the 911 going from air cooled to water cooled, or 911 headlamps, etc. We're comparing mostly to the Z4, the 'Vette folks are talking about current vs. future. It's all the same thing.

Like I always try to say, if a person likes it, who am I to tell them differently? All I can speak to is whether it connects with me or not. And my opinions change over time, so in 2-3 years I might end up buying one! Never know, and never say never--at least I'm learning to try and not do that. (I didn't care for the idea of turbo M cars and then I drove my friend's 1M. That changed my mind in about 60 seconds.)
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #57
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
I like it. I don't normally like vettes aside from the Z06 and ZR1
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2013, 08:12 AM   #58
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
What's interesting in going through a few pages on that forum is how similar the discussion is to the one here. Some like it, so do not (and those who do not have the same reasons folks have stated here). No one seems to be talking performance either--it's all about the look and emotional feel.

This is no different than BMW launching a new car or the DCT vs. MT or Turbo vs. NA discussions or the E30 vs. anything else etc., or the 911 going from air cooled to water cooled, or 911 headlamps, etc. We're comparing mostly to the Z4, the 'Vette folks are talking about current vs. future. It's all the same thing.

Like I always try to say, if a person likes it, who am I to tell them differently? All I can speak to is whether it connects with me or not. And my opinions change over time, so in 2-3 years I might end up buying one! Never know, and never say never--at least I'm learning to try and not do that. (I didn't care for the idea of turbo M cars and then I drove my friend's 1M. That changed my mind in about 60 seconds.)
Agreed. The takeaway for me is that the vette looks like a viable alternative to BMW offerings. Im excited by it
      02-23-2013, 11:47 PM   #59
1911A145
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyfrc View Post
Has anyone here ever owned a C5 or a C6?

I find the most hate for the vette amongst BMW owners which I don't really understand having owned both M cars and vettes. I can tell you from real life experience that any C5Z06, Base C6, or Grand Sport will leave our M coupe, and even the E92 M3 for that matter, for dead on the track; Not even close, "murder death kill" as they say. As for the C6Z06, it destroys GT3 at my local track(Road Atlanta).

Point is that nothing can compete with it the vette in terms of performance at its price point. The fact the interior is finally somewhat improved is just icing on the cake. If the prices were not plummetting on C6Z06 due the release of the C7 I would be in one right now!

I'm sure that after buying the Vette I may miss the fit, finish, and feel of the BMW. However, I will have to remember that I chose a "TRUE SPORTS CAR" over a "SPORTY LUXURY CAR". Two very different cars built for 2 very different purposes.

All you talk about is vettes... go buy one already and sell the BMW if you hate it that much. You will realize one day that whoever has the deepest pockets will always be faster. You enjoy your vette with a cavalier steering wheel (or whatever cheap shit they are still using) and stop hatin so much on everything that isnt a POS GM vehicle. The C7 isnt even out yet and yet you think so how it is so much superior to any BMW... I take it you have never owned any previous vettes... I sure hope GM made the new one "up to par" with what a "real" sports car should be. At the end of the day it's still a plastic filled, noisy creaking car that sucks as a daily driver and requires serious input on the track over pretty much everything else out there.

If you want a cheap "sports car" I guess you could buy a vette... as long as you know it's a cheap american car still. If you wanted a cheap american "sports car" for track I would rather buy 2013 GT500/ BOSS 302 and supercharge it.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 01:00 PM   #60
EenyBear
Accidentally in BMW
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4MC & R1200S

I knew I'd seen that front end before... (it's a whale shark, not a sting ray).
And then an early offering from Toyota. (cough cough). The resemblance is a little unsettling.
I'm sure it's very fast though.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0