ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #23
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: v10 m6

never got a wave back from a z4 driver and the last time I gave a thumbs up to a group of cars(996 turbo, callaway c5)they lined it up to race me...so I did and beat them by a car and then they gave me the ricer fly by, and yes I was on the bottle when we went at it sorry I'll never turn down a race w/ a "better" car than mine

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 11:57 PM   #24
ZedFourM
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC - Interlagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Interesting thread

esqu1re makes a good point about the Z3 Z4 demographics, and I think there's something to that. BTM's raises a lot of good points as well. I think both of them are on to something regarding the enthusiast crowd vs. those who drive the car because it's "cute" or the latest thing to be embraced by the fast and furious crowd. (My car was owned by some woman who apparently thought it was "cute", traded it in while shopping for a Cayenne but went with the Cayenne Turbo because it "cuter" than the regular Cayenne. Uh, yeah, clearly not an enthusiast.)

My experience too is that it's not so much a Z4 thing or whatever but as an enthusiast thing. Like BTM said, if the driver's an enthusiast they'll probably give some acknowledgment. Personally I've gotten thumbs ups and so on from guys in 'Vettes, 911s, various BMWs of different eras/types, and so on--if I think the driver (he or she) is an enthusiast I'll give them the thumbs up and tell them "nice car" if I am in a position to do so. Invariably if I get to talk to the folks who will acknowledge you they turn out to be enthusiasts of one kind or another. Some won't bother to look and pull some stupid **** too.

Since we are enthusiasts we're always trying to find people with the same interests (which is why we on this forum). When we see a Z4 we tend to probably hold out more hope a like-minded individual is behind the wheel so it's disappointing when they're not. I guess that's the nature of the game.
No disrespect to Roadie drivers, but I think that convertibles as a rule just reach out to a lot more people who aren't necessarily BMW or Z-series enthusiasts....because they're convertibles.

I'm surprised to see less interaction between coupe drivers on the road because you have to want a Z and NOT want to be in a convertible to be in a coupe (it isn't a matter of exclusiveness as much as oddity) -- that would make me tend to think they are more interested in that particular car than in an attractive convertible. A dear friend of mine, for instance (before I got my car) asked what I'd recommend for something with "2 seats, a big engine at the front, a stick in the middle, and just the sky overhead, while less than $20k." I immediately suggested a Z3MR, which he wound up buying (beautifully in black/black over estoril). Though he's an enthusiast now, he really had no particular interest in the car/marque before. Not everyone who buys one makes that transition.

I like to make some gesture of appreciation to any driver of a classic or enthusiast's car that I like -- I don't care about brand or whatever, being passionate about cars is what matters, and it's always nice when someone compliments your ride.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #25
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

I have seen a few Z4's here in CT and only on Z4MC no roadsters yet, but... they have all been polite and at least a high beam flash is done as acknowledgement.

Now there was that idiot in the A5 convertible... I just had to... LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #26
knsaber
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M Roadster Imola Red

I didn't know it was a big deal. I drive with my top down and it's my personality not to give any eye contact to other drivers especially at a traffic stop. I don't want to look like I'm showing off by having you look at me, but you can look at the car all you want! I am an enthusiast who loves my car and the road I'm on. There was only one instance where I saw another Z4 roadster pass by with two people and I looked over and smiled. I cruise slowly so most E46 M3's blow right past me, and it's very rare for me to see another Z4. Most M3's are tinted too so why bother looking into a black window?
      04-28-2011, 10:27 AM   #27
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by knsaber View Post
I didn't know it was a big deal. I drive with my top down and it's my personality not to give any eye contact to other drivers especially at a traffic stop. I don't want to look like I'm showing off by having you look at me, but you can look at the car all you want! I am an enthusiast who loves my car and the road I'm on. There was only one instance where I saw another Z4 roadster pass by with two people and I looked over and smiled. I cruise slowly so most E46 M3's blow right past me, and it's very rare for me to see another Z4. Most M3's are tinted too so why bother looking into a black window?
weird b/c i'm only few mins from you. there's this one black mcoupe on palisade ave, that parks by a chiropractor's office. few times i see him in ft lee, he just revs his engine and blows by. i was like whatever, lol.
      05-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #28
sipman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

One reply talked about z3 owners being friendlier. If this is any sort of comparison. I have a 83 VW Rabbit GTi fully prep-ed for SCCA Street Prepared.
And I have a 07 Z4MC. Unofficially, I think there are about the same number of each on the road currently. No one has ever pulled an extremely dangerous u-turn to chase after me when I was driving the BMW. But it's happened a couple of times in the Rabbit!
There is something to be said for age of a car. I use the rabbit to surf, and in one weekend surfing, I had 10 people come to talk to me about the car. When I asked a surf shop owner to look at my board on top of the car, I don't think he saw the board until after he was wow-ed by the car underneath it.
So the question is, do I look like a prick in the BMW but a nice guy in the Rabbit? While it's true, most people who talk to me about the Rabbit started in one when they were younger, so the audience approaching me must know I appreciate the car as much as they did. Can't the BMW guys assume the same thing. That said, I've only gotten a couple of waves in the BMW by other BMW drivers. While other drivers have really been the friendly folks pulling up to me to express their appreciation.

Not to thread jack, but does anyone else find other drivers pull up super fast on you and try to blow past you on the highway. Does this mean I should sell my car now because a Pontiac G6 driver felt he could drive faster than me?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2011, 01:47 PM   #29
knsaber
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipman View Post
Not to thread jack, but does anyone else find other drivers pull up super fast on you and try to blow past you on the highway. Does this mean I should sell my car now because a Pontiac G6 driver felt he could drive faster than me?
I let everybody blow past me, I cruise at 65mph on the slow lane! I don't care much for waving at other drivers, I think as long as the way you drive around others show whether you're friendly, considerate, or just being a showoff/jerk.

Cruising slowly allows for anyone who wants to admire the car to do so, either while passing or to follow on the highway. I think as long as I don't respond by pulling away, that should be a non-aggressive gesture in itself? Of course there's also nothing wrong with a little "spirited" driving with another person to keep each other awake.
      05-11-2011, 01:55 PM   #30
knsaber
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

One of my favorite experiences was driving north on NJ Turnpike before exit 4, you know how it's two extremely long boring lanes for miles and miles. I was following behind and admiring a Saleen Mustang at a safe distance, both cruising at speed limit on a bright sunny day. I noticed he eventually started to veer left and right, you could tell he was about to fall asleep, so he pulled to the slow lane, and in front of us was a long stretch of highway with no other cars in sight, I knew what I had to do.

I blew right past him and hit a cruising speed of 120mph and he actually started following me. For the next 10 minutes we caught up with traffic and had a friendly race between the cars. I knew this made him wake up and made our drives go by way faster and more fun. I could see he was a middle aged man, we didn't make eye contact nor did we wave at each other, we just drove and raced together. Just from how you drive you can tell if someone is friendly or not.
      07-22-2011, 09:17 PM   #31
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Z4MC owners, for the most part, know how rare their cars are. i don't see why they wouldn't wave back.

i'll wave back! one of you raised a good point though. sometimes the looking over and seeking acknowledgement comes off as an invitation to screw around on the road. obviously you can caravan and drive spiritedly together...but i usually just do the quick wave or thumbs up out the window (to fellow M cars or modded bimmers in general). got lots of love in my ZCP and i always throw the love back.

picking up my Z4MC on august 4th in seattle washington and driving it across country back to PA. should be interesting!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #32
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
I never go out of my way to talk to another person on the road. You never really know whether or not theyre enthusiasts anyway. Ive seen people in coupes that were bone stock and were just focused on the road. Although a while back, someone googled my custom plate and found me on the forums. I guess that was easier than a thumbs up on the highway? Lol. I also think its a little weird for a woman to wave to random men in nice cars. :P

Now that my coupe is gone. I feel like a poser in my convertible. It just looks like a nice car and I see bmws all the time, no one pays it any mind but my coupe always drew attention from other enthusiasts.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 12:35 PM   #33
PatJags156
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Convertible

I know what you mean. I see this one girl driving a silver roadster every morning on the way to work. Not even a glance over at me. I have just given up. Guess she gets a lot of guys who stare her down. lol
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 12:41 PM   #34
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

i'm going to be getting lots of stares tomorrow. black sapphire metallic z4mc turned laguna secs blue with painters tape 2,800 mile drive
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 12:48 PM   #35
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zubydafa View Post
i'm going to be getting lots of stares tomorrow. black sapphire metallic z4mc turned laguna secs blue with painters tape 2,800 mile drive
Lol, sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatJags156 View Post
I know what you mean. I see this one girl driving a silver roadster every morning on the way to work. Not even a glance over at me. I have just given up. Guess she gets a lot of guys who stare her down. lol
I dont really feel like convertibles are an enthusiasts' car. I pay them no mind unless theyre an ///M and even then, the person maybe just wanted the top of the line model. I want my coupe back!
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2011, 12:59 PM   #36
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGirl07 View Post
Lol, sick.

I dont really feel like convertibles are an enthusiasts' car. I pay them no mind unless theyre an ///M and even then, the person maybe just wanted the top of the line model. I want my coupe back!
I Beg to differ. I am very enthusiastic about my car and... I drive it aggressively, just happen to like the hair blowing in the wind feeling... eh, well not really since I am bald, lol

But, that being said, I tried (hard) to start something up with an Interlagos MC on my way back from AC on the Garden State and the older gentleman driving it simply smiled and kept puttering along at 70.

Coupe owner enthusiast indeed! of course that does not accurately reflect all of us nuts here on this board
      08-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #37
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanbandit View Post
I Beg to differ. I am very enthusiastic about my car and... I drive it aggressively, just happen to like the hair blowing in the wind feeling... eh, well not really since I am bald, lol

But, that being said, I tried (hard) to start something up with an Interlagos MC on my way back from AC on the Garden State and the older gentleman driving it simply smiled and kept puttering along at 70.

Coupe owner enthusiast indeed! of course that does not accurately reflect all of us nuts here on this board
Lol maybe you are an enthusiast but I meant the majority of convertible drivers. I can only hope bmw releases the current z4 model in a coupe version again!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2011, 01:25 PM   #38
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

I think it just comes down to a person's personality. Some people are friendly, some people are jerks and near larger cities alot of people are very competitive. So, you either get a wave, ignored or stomped on!

I almost go out of my way to be friendly to someone who cares about their car, and shoot them a compliment. Either by the car they drive, their mods or the condition it's in you can often sniff these people out.

Hey Ricanbandit, would love to hear your Stromung one of these days.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #39
Loogey Clapp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

Now that we have finally had some decent top down weather in the NW and can get my arm out, I wave to other Z4 and Z3 Roadsters I see coming my way. A few wave, most do not. I am not sure why. Maybe they're not as excited about driving one as much as I am or maybe they're not able to get an arm off the armrest in time or something. Just yesterday, I had a Z4 Roadster same color as mine with BC, Canada plates pull into a viewpoint not more than 30 feet from where I was sitting, without even so much as an acknowledgement that I was there or that we had similar cars. I don't let it bother me because I am STILL enjoying MY ride. Maybe they are new to owning a Z4 and have not picked up on the comraderie that we have or something. However, I remember when I had my Jeep CJ, every CJ owner whether it was a 5 or 7 waved. Then when the Wranglers came out, it was like, "WTF, Wranglers don't wave to CJs?"
      08-24-2011, 09:53 PM   #40
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
When you say you were on "the bottle" you mean you were drinking or you had some nitrous on board? :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #41
Jordanpryce
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 30i

Come to Brooklyn. I'll wave atcha.

I have M Coupe envy...
      10-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #42
Gary07110
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Titanium Z4 3.0si Roadste

Garage List
I drive a pristine 2008 3.0si roadster, I am too busy loving my drive.. I have no envy whatsoever for any other car on the road.
      10-31-2011, 04:37 PM   #43
DroZee4
Bmw Junglist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 2.5I Sport Package

I'm a sports car enthusiast and whether it was in my 350z, RX-8 or my Z4 I always try to give a nod or a wave to others with the same make.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 01:27 AM   #44
zubydafa
tosser
Isle of Man
Rep

where are all the zeds in the tri state area. barely see any!