ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-20-2017, 05:41 AM   #1
z4chick
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0si

Exclamation Check engine light-pinned temp gauge, and sticky steering!

I wanted to post my weekend experience because bits and pieces of it have happened to others but I couldn't find anything on all 3 circumstances as a result of a detail.

It was 60 degrees in Chicago last Friday, I left the car at a detail shop, they were instructed to clay bar, detail the inside and out, the full works. I made the grave mistake of not noticing they include engine cleaning in that work up. When I picked up the car, the hood was up, the engine was running, the heat was on full blast and the windows were closed. WTF were they doing? trying to dry the carpets I assumed. I shut her off, closed the hood, opened the doors, put her back together, did an inspection and she looked fine. It was time to go, and I wanted to drive. Not 2 minutes in, I noticed the dreaded "sticky" steering issue. And I'd remembered when it gets too hot, this is a symptom. But that's all I'd remembered because I dont live in TX or AZ, so I thought I'd never have ever experienced it. Talk about a crappy drive. Ok, so it will go away once the oils have cooled right? 5 minutes out of the garage, already on the expressway, I notice no other handling issues other than the steering, and what happens next? the check engine light comes on and the temperature gauge is pinned to red. I'm completely freaked out. I pull over, shut her off and call the detail shop [waste of time] they assure me its OK to drive home... I have no one to call, and I still live 15 minutes away. I took a chance, started her up, and got off the expressway. She made it home without incident. At this point any number of things could have been wrong or gone wrong. I opened the hood, put a large clean cardboard box under the engine to catch any fluids leaking, and let her cool off for 2 days [I was busy the next day anyway I couldn't drive].

Sunday comes and it's time to check. Looked at the box, no fluids. Looked at the engine bay, clean as a whistle. Started her up, check engine was still on. I had a few choices at this point. I disconnected the battery, waited a minute, and reconnected. Started her up and drove her 5 minutes to the store, the engine light was now on, but she wasn't throwing any codes.
Ok I thought, ill hit the local auto parts store and see if they can pull anything after the grocery store, it was in the neighboring strip mall.

By the time I got out of the grocery store, the engine light was off, the windows had reset themselves, and after driving for another 30 minutes the temp gauge was fine. Also I need to mention the steering had gone back to being smooth as silk. I'm a new owner and most veterans may have experienced all of this before but I thought I would post the outcome anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 10:52 AM   #2
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

So why did they have the car running weird w/ hood up like that? did they perhaps get the wiring wet enough to short s/t out temporarily?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 12:08 PM   #3
Punisher3.0si
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E86 manual

Possible that the belt was slipping from the cleaner being soaked into it. That would explain the overheating and the sticky power steering.

I live in the suburbs and was thinking about taking the Coupe out too but ultimately didnt. I have to soon though for an emissions test.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 03:18 PM   #4
z4chick
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
So why did they have the car running weird w/ hood up like that? did they perhaps get the wiring wet enough to short s/t out temporarily?
I honestly think they were trying to dry the carpets/mats instead of leaving them outside the car and having a fan blowing in to help speed up the process. That's my best guess.

Its 60's all week here babes.. get that puppy ready !!!

As a follow up, I spent 3 hours driving today, she's fine, back to her stealthy self. She has 0 pickup off the line though, my slk320 could take anyone at the line.. the 1 thing I miss.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 06:11 PM   #5
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Does the Si have electric water pump?
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 08:27 PM   #6
Punisher3.0si
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E86 manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Does the Si have electric water pump?
Sure does. I figured she had a lower model based off of the slow off the line remark. I normally am viewing the forums in the mobile skin and can't see what kind of car people have on their profile.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 11:14 PM   #7
The HACK
Rep

Symptoms are consistent with a failing electric water pump.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 12:20 PM   #8
z4chick
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Symptoms are consistent with a failing electric water pump.
I just had the water pump replaced in october.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 12:49 PM   #9
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4chick View Post
I just had the water pump replaced in october.
Doesn't mean it's not broken again. The electrical pumps are notorious for their, um, electrical gremlin nature.

Especially if they detailed the engine compartment without covering up sensitive, exposed electrical wires.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 01:31 PM   #10
z4chick
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Good point, ill have it looked at..Thanks!
Appreciate 0