ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

01-27-2017, 03:44 PM   #1
ramp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91, Lemans Blue

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Why not

I have always wondered why this car never really caught on. I'm from the 70's, muscle cars Corvettes, GTO's, Triumphs, MG's, Datsun 240Z, this car fits right in their. My ownership of a 2007 Z coupe was just for a few years but I still yearn. And I may pick up another some day, just enough power to get you in trouble.

Great car for an affordable price!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 04:24 PM   #2
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

So you don't have your Z4C anymore but you came to post this? You need to pick up another car. Make it an MC this time and you won't say "just enough power"...
Appreciate 1
RABAUKE4658.00
      01-27-2017, 06:05 PM   #3
ramp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91, Lemans Blue

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Well Lieutenant,
I didn't say I don't have a car to enjoy on the road. Just not a Z4. This observation was not meant to offend. Actually the opposite. BMW's are my preferred mode of transportation, as all on this forum, I presume.

Let's all share the road fairly.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 09:29 AM   #4
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

My post wasn't a criticism. What I meant was if you took the time to post about a car you used to have and think fondly about it, why not pick up another? They are quite reasonable now.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 01:28 PM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

My Z4 ownership started out this way, I own a 2006 E90 with a whole lot of miles on it, and I decided I needed a second car to drive to work as the E90 was at 270,000 at the time and was going to need a bunch of down time for maintenance (clutch, oil pan gasket, VCG etc.), or it just might flat out grenade . Once the C7 Corvette came out with the Z51 package, I was pretty much set on getting one. But a base 'Vette with the Z51 package was hard to come by early on. After some thought, I figured driving a small block to work a few days a week was stuffing the oil companies pockets and not mine, even though the C7 can return some decent mileage numbers; but you have to keep your foot out of it, so what's the point in that. I liked the idea of a small, 2-seat coupe to drive to work, so a Cayman seemed to be a logical choice (I get to drive some really excellent roads everyday). It was tough finding anything at a sub $30K price (this was mid to late 2014) and the IMS bearing failure was a concern.

I got back from a trip looking at a '06 Cayman and decided I didn't fit it well. I had an epiphany on the way home and remembered about the Z4 Coupe. I found one with low miles, overpaid for it, but now some 40,000 miles later (62,000 total) I love the thing, and doubt I'll ever give it up. And it keeps me in the N52 drive train, which I know very well, and the rest of the car is E46 mostly, except the steering system. Why BMW doesn't use it in every car since I have no idea because it is far better than any other EPS system I've driven in a BMW. I'm ashamed to say I didn't even know it had EPS until I went to CarMax to test fit the sport seats.

I think the E86 Z4 wasn't popular because it is an impractical car and it came out near the end of the sports car peak and in a down-turning economy. Plus it was expensive for what it offered. Being that you can find the N52's lightly used for well under $20K I think they are a bargain for weekend toy.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
RABAUKE4658.00
      01-29-2017, 03:34 PM   #6
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

I love winding out that straight six, pulls and pulls.....there's enough to get you into trouble. Plus, my wife loves driving the thing.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 03:41 PM   #7
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Maybe I'm weird (yes I know) but I first went for the *looks* of the car. I saw one for sale in someone's yard and hung a U-turn on the spot. Driving it sealed the deal. I didn't buy that particular car, although I wish I could have; it had been smoked in and even after a lot of dollars spent at a detailer's it was still quite evident to me. But I bought the next one I found.

I still find the car enticing to look at. I don't mind parking a few football fields away from the door because I get to look at my car the whole time as I walk back to it. It's the only car I've ever owned that has stopped a woman in her tracks, and it has done it twice so far in my two years of ownership - once to a teenager and once to a 'distinguished' woman. It's the only car I've ever owned that has men offering to "chauffeur me free for the day". Okay, so I'm not Ferrari rich. But I don't need to be.

And yes I love driving it too. Somewhere around here you'll find a post from me showing a fair amount of daylight under the inside front wheel on a turn on the dragon's tail.

Last edited by wdb; 01-29-2017 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 04:00 PM   #8
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Maybe I'm weird (yes I know) but I first went for the *looks* of the car. I saw one for sale in someone's yard and hung a U-turn on the spot. Driving it sealed the deal. I didn't buy that particular car, although I wish I could have; it had been smoked in and even after a lot of dollars spent at a detailer's it was still quite evident to me. But I bought the next one I found.

I still find the car enticing to look at. I don't mind parking a few football fields away from the door because I get to look at my car the whole time as I walk back to it. It's the only car I've ever owned that has stopped a woman in her tracks, and it has done it twice so far in my two years of ownership - once to a teenager and once to a 'distinguished' woman. It's the only car I've ever owned that has men offering to "chauffeur me free for the day". Okay, so I'm not Ferrari rich. But I don't need to be.

And yes I love driving it too. Somewhere around here you'll find a post from me showing a fair amount of daylight under the inside front wheel on a turn on the dragon's tail.
"distinguished" I like em' "distinguished"
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2017, 08:05 PM   #9
Lex500
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

C6
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 12:15 PM   #10
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

I have been without a z4c for about 4 years now and I still want one again...if I had a place to park one i would have one..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 04:53 PM   #11
Punisher3.0si
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E86 manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post

That's not weird at all! The looks is the whole reason why I bought my Coupe (and was very well maintained)! Absolutely beautiful car that still gets compliments and head turns.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #12
schwank
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 z4 m coupe

I bought mine new. Oct 16th 06 - 55k fully loaded (except the cd changer lol). a year later they were going for 10k less. it seemed kind of doomed from the start. it made no sense. the z3 m coupe is doing great, you'd think the z4m/mc would be doing well too. Maybe it'll come around in a few more years.

It going to be sunny and warm here in ohio tomorrow, I cant wait to get it out for Cars and Coffee. every once in a while I think about selling, its the longest Ive owned a car... I cant imagine what I'd replace it with.