ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-26-2016, 01:10 PM   #1
zachbooze
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC

What iPhone Mount/App Do You Use?

I'm looking to record my laps with my iPhone 6... What recommendations do you all have for mounts, whether it be on the windshield, or to my roll cage? I have heard some good things about the ram mounts. Would you go with the X design or the phone-specific adapter you clip onto it?

Also, what apps do you use? I have heard of harry's lap timer and trackaddict. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 01:47 PM   #2
longress
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

I use the ram windshield mount with the x clamp for my iPhone 6 Plus and its stayed stuck with no issues.
I use track addict and its excellent. You can shoot video and overlay stats or just record lap times and replay back on the satellite track image. Cheap good tool.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2016, 09:25 PM   #3
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

I second the Ram Mount with X bracket, and I use Track Addict. If you go that way you'll want to download RaceRender to do the post processing of the Track Addict files.
      07-26-2016, 10:05 PM   #4
dschultz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Ram mount with x bracket. Harry's lap timer, external GPS receiver and Bluetooth dongle. The integrated overlay is dead easy. However, don't use it that much because 1) i find that HLT often gets confused while waiting to start a session and will either start early or not at all, 2) the up shift indicator on HLT is distracting and drives me crazy and I can't figure out how to turn it off, 3) the iphone 6 video is really "swimmy". Can't watch it. Don't know how to correct that either.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2016, 12:24 AM   #5
zachbooze
Private
Rep

Can the x mount also be used to record the driver from behind in order to show steering input/shifting or are there mounts specifically for that as well? I have a roll cage if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 12:11 AM   #6
dschultz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC

Don't see why not. Ram mounts are all interchangeable so if they sell a bar mount large enough to handle your cage tubes you're golden. They also sell generic bases you may be able to clamp to the tube. I think the rubber on the ram mounts allows for some vibration and there are at least two joints so there may be better tube mounts available.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2016, 01:57 AM   #7
zachbooze
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschultz View Post
Don't see why not. Ram mounts are all interchangeable so if they sell a bar mount large enough to handle your cage tubes you're golden. They also sell generic bases you may be able to clamp to the tube. I think the rubber on the ram mounts allows for some vibration and there are at least two joints so there may be better tube mounts available.
Thanks for your input! I went with the ram x mount for my iPhone with harrys lap timer along with a go pro with a roll bar mount. Excited to try them out.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 08:55 PM   #8
sikedsyko
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4

Sort of an old thread, but here's what I use. Its an SP Gadgets Phone Mount attached to a Gopro adhesive mount. The SP lets you mount a phone to basically any GoPro mount and it holds the phone super tight.

Not bad for under $20.

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 09:57 AM   #9
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
I use the Ram mount as well, plus the rubber web thing as precaution. Then I run a thin cable from the hand screw and tether to a slat on the AC vent. Reason being I mount all this in lower corner of the windshield (phone is used as timer so don't need in my direct view) where it could theoretically detach and fly out the window lol.

I mount my GoPro on the bulkhead behind me to record the cabin view.
      03-30-2017, 07:29 PM   #10
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quadlock case with a Quadlock adapter on the dash.

https://www.quadlockcase.com/
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0