ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

AIM data acquisition questions

Considering a couple AIM data acquisition options for track day use... Not a necessity for a relative track noobie like me, just having fun and embracing the inner geek.

Anyone have experience connecting an AIM data logger to their Z4M ECU via the RS232/CAN version of AIM's ECU Bridge? I'm wondering (1) how involved/scary the splicing is, and given our unique ECUs, (2) if the ECU pinout info in the AIM documentation is 100% accurate, and (3) if the bridge worked OK to feed reliable rpm, throttle position, engaged gear, oil pressure and water/gearbox/diff temps.

Separately, anyone using DashWare or other third party software to successfully overlay AIM data on GoPro HD video files; I'm looking for an inexpensive alternative to AIM's pricey proprietary video solutions, and something that I won't have to go back to college to use.

Thanks for any guidance.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

Have you looked into Traqmate ? Many DE and Club Racers use it, which makes for great data sharing, they're a bit expensive new but with some searching good deals can be had. I've been running these for a bit and it's a great option because not only does the display show your incrementals and lap times in real time on track, but most of my fellow drivers use it, allowing us to compare data and segments on the fly between sessions.

I had the AIM SmartyCam in the past and to be honest, the footage quality was horrible in comparison to GoPro (especially given the cost). I've now switched to a Contour HD and Traq Studio.
      08-02-2011, 06:47 AM   #3
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Yes, I'm looking at TraqMate as well, and that was where I started It looks like AIM, however, has more channels for data input and is possibly simpler in that respect, assuming the ECU interface works as advertised. I don't like AIM's video options, though, and their software doesn't seem to have the video overlay features that TraqMate offers. Compromises, compromises...

Thanks for the suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #4
onelove
Track Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M

I've found Traqmate has more than adequate information for most novice / intermediate drivers. Unless you're going to be installing shock position sensors / brake pressure sensors / yaw sensors, etc having the speed / G force information that's GPS based on Traqmate has been more than enough.