ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
Foxland
Private
Rep
Drives: Merlot Red Z4 3.0 Roadster

Possibly stupid question

I was going to change my oil, looking at some of the threads it says to drive the car up on a ramp to get access to the drain plug, if that's done doesnt that prevent all the oil from draining? To fill it, the car should be level, just a little confused. Clarification would help.
Thanks,
Mo
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #2
Phishman
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Beige car

There's little ramps on a lift. I assume that is what you're talking about, but those are level. Never heard of anyone trying to change their oil on an uneven surface.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 08:53 PM   #3
ski_rush
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2007 Z4  [7.00]
Car jacking

I think the OP meant that if the front of the car is lifted via ramps and the back of the car is sitting on the ground, then the car would be slanting downward. It wouldn't be level as if it was sitting on a flat surface.

So, let's assume he drives the front of the car up on ramps. How does he then get the back lifted near the same height in order for the oil to drain well?
      04-19-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxland View Post
I was going to change my oil, looking at some of the threads it says to drive the car up on a ramp to get access to the drain plug, if that's done doesnt that prevent all the oil from draining? To fill it, the car should be level, just a little confused. Clarification would help.
Thanks,
Mo
You are correct, when draining, with the front wheels up on ramps a little of the oil still remains. And to check that it is to the correct level, AFTER filling, it needs to be back on a level surface.

Everyone has their take on things but IMHO it the small amount of old oil left when draining matters very little in comparison to proper warm up before draining, using correct oil, changing the filter, and filling to proper level. This is not a complex subj unless you want to get into the science of syn oil vs dino, avantages of oil coolers and dry sumps. Hardest part is remembering to put the drain plug back in, dont ask how I know.

Not to insult your intelligence, what I do is perform the initial fill about 1 to 3/4 a quart low by volume, then get it on level ground and fill it to midrange on the car's gage. Then let it warm up and check/adjust the level again. It bites doing this with the wonderful BMW electronic oil indicator, but thats the price we keep on paying for the love/hate of owning this model BMW. I'll stay away from the dipstick rant. Just wish I could send the Castrol Irishman with the dipstick thru BMW HQ and find the moron that came up with this better idea. Make a great Superbowl BMW commercial. "Here at BMW we dont always get it right the first time, and not that we'll ever admit it, but being German we do take care of business......Cue..cut to..The Irishman going into Jesus clearing the temple mode." I'd invite friends, get a keg, and pay money to watch that video.
2011 E93 335is - current fav

Last edited by BruceJ; 04-19-2011 at 09:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 01:45 PM   #5
Foxland
Private
Rep

Bruce, great response, thanks. Yeah, I guess that when you drive up on the ramp (http://www.discountramps.com/truck-service-ramps.htms) some of the oil flows towards the back (I don't have a lift in my garage) but I guess this is a small amount and really wont matter, it just irritates me that I can't get it all out. For the fill up, I would put it back on level ground of course.
Just out of curiosity, who has a lift for their own use, I am just happy having an aluminum jack?
Mo
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
Foxland
Private
Rep

Ramps for oil change

http://www.billswebspace.com/Z4MS54OilChange.htm

This is the link I was looking at!
Appreciate 0