ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #23
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
Any tips for fighting an "unsafe speed" ticket? It was written down as 66 in a 35 but no radar, just "estimated."
estimated can always be argued. admit to wrong doing but tell them u were not doing anywhere near 66. or if you're ballsy, tell them you're innocent haha.
      04-25-2011, 04:29 PM   #24
Jbs
The Photographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC BSM/Black extended

Be thankful that you will still have your license... I may not be so lucky after court next monday :mad:

John Batte Photography / Flickr / Facebook
2007 ///M Coupe BSM/Black Extended/Loaded | RPi GT Exhaust w/custom gloss black tips | KW V3 | Michelin PSS 245/265 | Pinnacle F1 Tint 35% | ZHP Shift Knob
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 05:02 PM   #25
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i, Z3 2.5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
estimated can always be argued. admit to wrong doing but tell them u were not doing anywhere near 66. or if you're ballsy, tell them you're innocent haha.
Funny Nikki .....just take a picture of your car into court.

Seriously....A friend of mine took a photo of his Corvette to court.... although his car was sitting still (red car), he asked both the prosecutor and the judge how fast they thought the car was going during the photo. Both stated about 30 mph...he then produced the photographer who had a signed affidavit, that the shot was his client just sitting in the vehicle that looked like he was driving. Perception is not always reality.

The judge through the case...as the circumstantial evidence could not be substantiated.

bottom line...is these are sports cars....even sitting still some look like they are fast and moving through air like a sharp knife!

'06 Z4 3.0i Jet Black/ Biege/Black
Leather / Premium Package / DICE Silverline DUO / Stubby Antenna / Matte Black Grill
Ultimate Cup Holder x2 / Gaptech RCH+ / First Aid storagebox x2 / Acrylic Wind Deflector
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 05:03 PM   #26
Z4MHawk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4 M Roadster

Sorry for the ticket....circumstances and the equipment to outrun emminent traffic concerns is the risk we take. I have recently taken a stance of backing off the throttle and allowing the trouble to pass. Too many over lapping agencies in my neck of the world. Not too mention the increase in agency unmarked vehicles.

Even with a radar or laser detector how much time would he have had to lower his speed? Do these "guns" emit a weaker signal that only becomes authenticated the closer you get or when the signal is verified? Perhaps when the signal becomes verified by multiple returns and an average speed determination? Just curious...
      04-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #27
blue-coupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1999 Z3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soomro View Post
Guys, before you start judging me or others, let me explain a bit, i wasnt driving 90mph continously. i was driving in left lane within speed limit and i had to take an exit and i didnt want to miss it and i had to go all the way to right lane to take an exit. it was an evening time and there were lot of cars on my right and i was having trouble changing lane. so i pushed the gas padel little bit hard and i didnt realzie that i was driving on 91mph.
I can't imagine that this is going to win you any sympathy here. High-speed, quick lane changes in heavy traffic are the worst. Just miss your exit, and double back at the next one. Would that have been any less inconvenient that what your going through now?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 06:25 PM   #28
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbs View Post
Be thankful that you will still have your license... I may not be so lucky after court next monday :mad:
oh noes good luck

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 06:53 PM   #29
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
in my case all these lawyers told me,either its loose or win case. there is no way they can bring points down. its only win or loose, so when i spoke to few lawyers, some of them said,they have winning % of 60 to 75, one of laywer said 99%.. wow.. some said there is no guarantee and so on, i tried googling everybody to see thier reviews and rating but i couldnt find much info. you guys might help me to choose right laywer
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #30
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Like others have said, have you looked at other forum sections where you might find a reference/referral? I'd take a reference of someone who has worked with a particular lawyer in a particular area for a particular type of case over somehow trying to decide on my own, which would be crazy making to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #31
damikmak
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

very sorry to hear about the ticket!!! no one should judge you since i am sure we have all driven faster than the limit at one time or another...i am totally guilty!!! One thing you can do as a last resort is to plead not guilty and get a court date. In most states if you go to court and the officer doesn't show up they have to dismiss the ticket. It is a gamble but it paid off for me when i was in Arizona. Good luck what ever you choose!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #32
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Thanks all of you for your comments and tips, wish me good luck and i wont do speeding again
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 09:35 AM   #33
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantacookie! View Post
Even with a radar or laser detector how much time would he have had to lower his speed? Do these "guns" emit a weaker signal that only becomes authenticated the closer you get or when the signal is verified? Perhaps when the signal becomes verified by multiple returns and an average speed determination? Just curious...
With a gun (lidar) you are screwed unless you have a jammer as well. With the gun they have to aim it directly at you to get a reading. With Ka or K band radar it emmits in every direction. My radar detector will pick up a Ka band radar from 1-1.5 miles away. Plenty of time to slow down.

Depending on the radar jammer, you could get hit first at 1000 feet or so and be safe until he shot you from like 300 feet. So you have some time to slow down, but lidar is much more likely to catch you even if you have defenses.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #34
mikeinsf
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soomro View Post
Guys, before you start judging me or others, let me explain a bit, i wasnt driving 90mph continously.
Eh, don't fret so much on the lecturers and their opinions about your driving. We've all sped and we've all gotten caught, some more than others. The dispensation of tickets is often arbitrary, and often amounts to a driving tax maintained to keep up municipal revenues. 91 in a 50 seems a little excessive yeah, but I'd venture a guess that a very small minority of people on here follow actual limits. 10-15mph over is what I've found to be the going acceptable rate. I've been in chains of cars many times lined up behind a CHP all doing 80 in a 65, and the chipper was AOK with it. So yeah, brush off the lecturers and be more careful next time... and best of luck with the ticket!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 02:14 PM   #35
mikeinsf
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue-coupe View Post
I can't imagine that this is going to win you any sympathy here. High-speed, quick lane changes in heavy traffic are the worst. Just miss your exit, and double back at the next one. Would that have been any less inconvenient that what your going through now?
Excellent point. I think the most random and dangerous situations are caused by people who act like their life depends on making the turn they just realized they need. If you miss your turn, then take the next one and figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 02:18 PM   #36
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinsf View Post
Excellent point. I think the most random and dangerous situations are caused by people who act like their life depends on making the turn they just realized they need. If you miss your turn, then take the next one and figure it out.
I think it's worse when cops flick on their lights for a split second and run a red.
      04-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #37
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinsf View Post
Such a pet peve of mine! Not commenting on the OP specifically but I HATE it when a car just comes to a stop to try and squeeze in a turn. I see it all the time in sofla...a car either stopped in the right or left lane (depending on the turn direction) next to a turning lane trying to squeeze in as soon as the guy in front of him accelerates. Its obnoxious and dangerous and it always amazes me that people can be so stupid/selfish to hold up traffic because they suddenly realized they were about to miss their turn. Just take 2min out of your life and make the next turn instead of holding up traffic and possibly causing an accident! End rant...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #38
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Such a pet peve of mine! Not commenting on the OP specifically but I HATE it when a car just comes to a stop to try and squeeze in a turn. I see it all the time in sofla...a car either stopped in the right or left lane (depending on the turn direction) next to a turning lane trying to squeeze in as soon as the guy in front of him accelerates. Its obnoxious and dangerous and it always amazes me that people can be so stupid/selfish to hold up traffic because they suddenly realized they were about to miss their turn. Just take 2min out of your life and make the next turn instead of holding up traffic and possibly causing an accident! End rant...
Yes, lot of construction goin on around me right now and this is a peeve of mine as well. The signs were there a mile back, you should have known to get over BEFORE it actually ended! You stop and throw your blinker on and then the people in the right lane slow way down cause they think that moron is going to just swerve over at a random time. Makes everybodies wait longer.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0