ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-23-2017, 05:39 PM   #1
Vorsatz
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe

Z4M Front Bumper/Splitter Clearance

Hi guys! I'm a relatively new owner of a Z4M and I'm loving it so far. I've been looking at front bumpers and splitters because I enjoy the aesthetic appeal (I haven't hit the track... yet )

However, there are many hills and roadbumps where I live in California and I'm worried about the clearance of these splitters for daily driving. Will they scrape terribly? I'm cool with some degree of scraping, but if the splitter grinds terribly over every speed bump or on entry of every hill, I might just give it up altogether.

I'm looking especially at the splitters like the Mstache, which I've read has pretty good clearance, and the Arkym, which looks like it might have pretty bad clearance. Has anyone used these on a daily?

Any thoughts or input would be much appreciated

Edit: The preceding assuming stock height.

Last edited by Vorsatz; 06-23-2017 at 10:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 10:13 PM   #2
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

The car is pretty low as is, dropped on my H&R coils I stopped worrying about scratching up the fangs a long time ago. It's just going to happen no matter what I do. No way you can run one of these cars lowered with a splitter without damaging it eventually, I don't even think I'd last a week with one.

If you keep the stock ride height maybe, but if you plan on lowering the car pass on a splitter.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 10:43 PM   #3
Vorsatz
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
The car is pretty low as is, dropped on my H&R coils I stopped worrying about scratching up the fangs a long time ago. It's just going to happen no matter what I do. No way you can run one of these cars lowered with a splitter without damaging it eventually, I don't even think I'd last a week with one.

If you keep the stock ride height maybe, but if you plan on lowering the car pass on a splitter.

Hmm that does make sense, although I don't plan on lowering it for now. I'm worried that even at stock height any splitter is just going to get destroyed real fast

If it were just cosmetic scratches without ruining the splitter structurally, I think would be okay with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 09:27 AM   #4
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
I dropped my car with H&R springs. I installed my carbon fiber front lip (looks a lot like the Mstache lip), and it lasted me a month. This is because I don't go over anything I see on the road, I go around it. I drive SLOW and at an angle in dips and bumps. I would scrape it pretty much everyday, sometimes not too bad, most of them time pretty bad. There was a clearance of 3 inches down there. All the beating was taken at the bottom of the lip so you couldn't really see it, but I knew it was there so it kept me up at nights lol. After the 1 month of looking like a badass, I went to Discount tire to get my new wheels and tires installed, and right at the entrance to their parking lot there was a big... looked like a speed bump but not man made, not sure how it got there. Story short, I showed up to Discount (which was 20 feet away) with a broken carbon fiber lip. The pictures I took of the new shoes would've looked great if it wasn't for that lip.

Would I spend $400 again for that lip? You're damn right I would!
2013 BMW S1000RR K46 R.I.P.
1998 BMW Z3 Roadster 1.9L E36 SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 07:43 PM   #5
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

The height isn't the only problem, but also the distance from the wheels to the end of the nose.
I've scraped my stock setup several times pulling out of gas stations and whatnot.
By the time the wheels are in the gutter the nose is way out in the street.
Pulling out at a 45° angle isn't always an option.
      07-24-2017, 08:29 PM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Not much more to add here other than this is why Porsche offers a lifting front end as well as relatively cheap splitter replacements on GT3, etc. GT3 is 179 bucks. Made to be replaced! Unlike everything else not a bad price....
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 11:54 AM   #7
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

i have the apr splitter, and ever though the roads here are like glass we do have speed bumps from hell..
the apr splitter (mines custom) protects my fangs nicely and the bottom of the splitter is pretty darn strong fiberglass so it can take a beating, and does. looks perfect and does one hell ova job.

love it.

09-17-2017, 08:35 AM   #8
Hedward
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M Roadster

I have the mustache 2 splitter with stock suspension. The clearance is reduced by 3/4". As I recall, the net clearance is now about 4-1/2" with the splitter in place.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 11:54 AM   #9
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Problem with the splitter isn't the actual height clearance, since it doesn't really add much thickness to the bumper. At least, no thicker since the OEM under tray is the lowest point up front, not the bottom of the bumper.

Regardless, the same problem you're going to run into with the concrete parking blocks with the bottom of the fangs, you'll run into and then some with a splitter because it extends the bottom plane of the bumper further out by several inches. So if you're already concerned with scraping or damaging the bottom of the fangs on the front bumper, adding a splitter definitely won't help. I've since gotten used to using the reflection of the car next to me to gauge how far I am to the parking blocks, and since the car is so much shorter than your typical vehicle, I've learned to leave plenty of space up front when I park.

Issue with the splitter being extended further out from the bottom of the bumper comes when you go up or down driveways, or inclines/declines longer than the length of the car, since having the rear up higher than the front means the splitter comes a lot closer to the ground than where the end of the bumper fangs used to be. Just gotta learn to approach all driveways at a sharp angle rather than straight on to allow one wheel to lift up the front of the car before the other clears. There's not much you can do about dips in the road, it's just the nature of the beast. Speed bumps, same thing. If you can, approach it from an angle other than perpendicular to the bump.

Or just learn to deal with occasional scraping.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 05:48 PM   #10
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Regardless, the same problem you're going to run into with the concrete parking blocks with the bottom of the fangs, you'll run into and then some with a splitter because it extends the bottom plane of the bumper further out by several inches.
This what I don't understand. Why do people feel the need to pull so far forward into a parking space? Especially with such a short car, even an average size car, people pull so far forward. I can see it with really long car, SUV or pickup truck, but a Z4, come on, give yourself some space.

Unless you run at the track allot, I would not even consider a splitter unless you only drive conditions that allow it without scraping, which would be pretty rare.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 07:43 PM   #11
AriuSen
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

After one day. Good luck op.

Lol jk. With stock height you will be more than fine with lip or splitter.

That happened from going off the track lol
Attached Images

10-15-2017, 05:28 AM   #12
Over it
Mad Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
i have the apr splitter, and ever though the roads here are like glass we do have speed bumps from hell..
the apr splitter (mines custom) protects my fangs nicely and the bottom of the splitter is pretty darn strong fiberglass so it can take a beating, and does. looks perfect and does one hell ova job.

love it.

Interested in your attachment underneath. I see your not running the supports.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2017, 10:31 PM   #13
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Drilled to match the bolts on the bottom and attached further to the rear for support. That and there isn't as much over hang as the non modified Apr splitter...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 10:35 AM   #14
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

I'm Lowered....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorsatz View Post
Hi guys! I'm a relatively new owner of a Z4M and I'm loving it so far. I've been looking at front bumpers and splitters because I enjoy the aesthetic appeal (I haven't hit the track... yet )

However, there are many hills and roadbumps where I live in California and I'm worried about the clearance of these splitters for daily driving. Will they scrape terribly? I'm cool with some degree of scraping, but if the splitter grinds terribly over every speed bump or on entry of every hill, I might just give it up altogether.

I'm looking especially at the splitters like the Mstache, which I've read has pretty good clearance, and the Arkym, which looks like it might have pretty bad clearance. Has anyone used these on a daily?

Any thoughts or input would be much appreciated

Edit: The preceding assuming stock height.
Lowered 3/4 inch front and 1/2 inch rear....Bilstein B8 shocks and Eibach Pro-Kit springs....ZHP performance control arms, etc....just BARELY clear driveway curb when approached at a 45 degree angle.
      10-25-2017, 01:02 PM   #15
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
ZHP performance control arms...
I'm curious as to why. The Z4 already came with ZHP control arms.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 03:36 PM   #16
Over it
Mad Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
Drilled to match the bolts on the bottom and attached further to the rear for support. That and there isn't as much overhang as the non-modified Apr splitter...
Thanks, maybe I missed it but what is the length out from the stock bumper. Looks like the center cut-away gives you some additional clearance as well
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2017, 03:39 PM   #17
Over it
Mad Man
United_States
Rep

FWIW in road racing, we often use plywood or aluminum sheet for the splitter. The plywood wears well, is strong and is easily finished or refinished with Carbon wrap, painted etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2018, 12:22 AM   #18
RossBMWZseries
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 328i LCI & '06 Z4MR

Garage List
Does anyone have the Schieddmann or Mstache lip attached to their car as well as the APR lip? Yes, both together.

I’m looking to buy the Schieddman CF lip again but don’t want to spend that much money if it’s gonna last me one month again. I was thinking that if I install the APR CF lip under it, it could possibly protect the Schieddman lip. I just don’t know if it would look horrible.
Appreciate 0