ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Damaged weather strip

I'm not even sure what to search for to find out if there are any diy on how to replace this peice of weather strip. Looks like it might be a pita to replace.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
I'm not even sure what to search for to find out if there are any diy on how to replace this peice of weather strip. Looks like it might be a pita to replace.

Should be part 12 here: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...40&hg=51&fg=55, but check with the dealer, as the description and the diagram seem to be mis-matched in this case, the description implies it would be part 13.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Sport

It's easy to replace. 5 - 10 minute job.

Carefully pull up the plastic interior piece (part A on pic) that overlaps it and simply pull off the weatherstripping. Start at the middle and work your way to the ends (B and C on the pic). It's just tucked under the other pieces of weatherstrip at the top of the pillars. (labeled B&C on pic)

Tuck one end and work your way to the other snapping it firmly in place and tuck the other end in before snapping the last few inches then put the plastic interior trim back on.

The hardest part is tucking the last end and if you don't tuck the first end you do far enough you need to pull it back off and start over.

Name:  example.jpg
Views: 2806
Size:  260.8 KB

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Awesome! That's just what I needed to know thanks a lot! For some reason I thought it was one huge piece throughout.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Yes, it is very easy. Does this picture help at all:

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 05:41 AM   #6
No_Dominion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Should be part 12 here: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...40&hg=51&fg=55, but check with the dealer, as the description and the diagram seem to be mis-matched in this case, the description implies it would be part 13.
It is part 12. Part 13 is a very thin (.25") gasket that goes between the side skirt and the body of the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys I will definitely be giving this a shot as soon as I get the parts in. Seems simple enough now that I've seen how its installed. Slowly but surely I am restoring her back to brand new condition.

The next thing I have to replace is the rubber trim around the windshield since mine is cracking and falling apart. Already did the windshield cover as that was all worn and cracking also. Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 09:56 AM   #8
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Sweet! Good info in case any of the door seal by the window starts cracking/crumbing again. Had to get the passenger side seal replaced just before the warranty was up. I'm figuring the driver's side will go at some point.
      01-03-2013, 12:58 PM   #9
RichardTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 & Z4 M

My driver's side is already gone and has been since shortly after I bought the car. The first thing I noticed is about the weather stripping is that it is virtually identical to the stuff that put in MGB's. I've got an MGB and have had to replace them several times. Not terribly expensive.

By the way, the MGB parts people have an "upmarket" version of the stuff that has a black velvety cloth cover where the rubber part is that looks much nicer than the rubber. One day I will investigate to see if it would be a replacement for ours.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 07:03 PM   #10
j03chu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 SG/IR Z4MR | 07 AW/Blk Z4MC

Funny,

Couple days ago just noticed my weather stripping that covers the windshield to the roof is cracking..

Car is a 07, garaged for 4 years. Park outside SOCAL sun for my work and thats it.

Part #1

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...12&hg=51&fg=20

Anyone have a DIY? Or could it be just peel and stick?
KWV3 | CCW LM20 | Eventuri | Rogue Engineering short shifter, mounts and exhaust | BMW Motorsports shift knob | mudflaps | stubby antennas
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #11
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

That is a very common issue as well as the plastic at the base of the windshield. Seems to be very cheap plastic. The strip you asked about is easy to DIY from what I have read. I know there are write ups as well. You have to take the old one out, use a non marring tool to remove glue residue from the channel and replace with a new one by pressing into place.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #12
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

The strip around the windshield gets replaced with new glass. If your insurance has a glass replacement option like mine does, get new glass and kill 2 birds with one stone.
      03-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
j03chu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 SG/IR Z4MR | 07 AW/Blk Z4MC

Did some research for people that will inevitably run into this problem:

BMW windshield glass is held to the body via urethane, the stripping or the "windshield cover" as bmw states it is simply there to block excess weather out of the grooves.

Windshield does NOT have to be removed for my trim job. I'm sure dealers will tell you otherwise.

There is also no adhesive, just a snug fit. What causes the accelerated cracking could be wax exposure to the rubber pieces which causes it to be more sensitive to weather changes.

303 aerospace protectant will help protect / elongate its life.

Part #1 51317210011 costs 30$ from my online searches. Will reply when i do attempt this diy. Seems easy enough.

http://blog.bavauto.com/6971/bmw-win...n-windshields/
KWV3 | CCW LM20 | Eventuri | Rogue Engineering short shifter, mounts and exhaust | BMW Motorsports shift knob | mudflaps | stubby antennas
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #14
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I did the windshield trim a couple of weeks ago. Honestly I actually liked the way it looked without it better but didn't want to risk causing any weather damage to the windshield seal or something. My old one just pretty much pealed off and the new one was squeezed in. My friend did his but failed to remove the old one cleanly so he has pieces of it still in the grooves and now cant get the new on in. So make sure to take your time removing the old one.
Appreciate 0