ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-31-2022, 10:26 AM   #1
bob'smerlot
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 bmw z4 3.0i

'04 radiator flush question

From what I can tell, removing the engine block drain plug might be a bear. Always one that believes in 'work smarter, not harder', plus I'm a little lazy, why not just leave the darn thing alone. Do the simple drain, add more d i water, circulate, repeat several times, measure the amount of water that drains, subtract against the original 10.5l capacity, & add concentrated amounts back in to get me to the desired 50-50. Only thing it cost me was several cheap gallons of distilled or DI water. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 12:50 PM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

My suggestion...

Buy a Motive power bleeder with quick release fittings. You need one anyway to bleed brakes and the clutch (if you have one).

Motive has a neat little adapter that threads into to bleeder screw port used on most BMW cooling systems. You can pressurize the cooling system at 16 PSI or so, then power drain the system through the radiator.
Appreciate 1
kaybat125.50
      04-01-2022, 01:43 PM   #3
bob'smerlot
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 bmw z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
My suggestion...

Buy a Motive power bleeder with quick release fittings. You need one anyway to bleed brakes and the clutch (if you have one).

Motive has a neat little adapter that threads into to bleeder screw port used on most BMW cooling systems. You can pressurize the cooling system at 16 PSI or so, then power drain the system through the radiator.
And that will drain the block also?
Also, I've got one of these guys: https://www.harborfreight.com/brake-...xoCYaUQAvD_BwE
Same thing?

Last edited by bob'smerlot; 04-01-2022 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 01:03 PM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob'smerlot View Post
And that will drain the block also?
Also, I've got one of these guys: https://www.harborfreight.com/brake-...xoCYaUQAvD_BwE
Same thing?
Nope, not the same thing. You have a vacuum bleeder. The Motive is a pressure bleeder that pressurizes the master cylinder. You can use it dry to pressurize the cooling system with the motive fitting.

https://www.motiveproducts.com/colle...ropean-bleeder

https://www.motiveproducts.com/colle...iator-products
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 2
      04-05-2022, 01:52 PM   #5
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

You talked me into one.. ordering one now.