ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #199
Swashplate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: in Anger.

Garage List
Wicked!!! Thanks you rock!

I didnt bother to take it off the first coupe that got smashed and now I suppose
I am paying for it...and then Santov for the save!!! Thanks again.
!!! BOILER UP !!!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 01:54 AM   #200
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBroker View Post
Wicked!!! Thanks you rock!

I didnt bother to take it off the first coupe that got smashed and now I suppose I am paying for it...and then Santov for the save!!! Thanks again.
Glad I could help!

Got my alarm today and it took about an hour to install. I wonder if the people who weren't getting the chirp to work didn't unplug the battery first. I did. The most painful part of the install was taking the fender liner out. The instructions only mentioned 3 plastic rivets and 3 screws, but there was more hardware holding that giant plastic thing in.

The plug was a little hard to find behind the EVAP canister, but the plug was there taped to the the harness. The plug for the hood switch is located behind the brake fluid reservoir and above the brake booster.

I plugged the battery back in (actually had in charging while it was unplugged from the car), reset the windows and clock. I get one chirp on lock and two chirps on unlock. If the trunk is open there is no chirp until I close the trunk. I love it! It's the classy Euro chirp, not the usual annoying chirp that ricers have installed on their toy cars.

I'll post an update when I get the software up and running and get the alarm coded.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #201
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

Thanks for the details santov. I'm going to dig back into this in the next week or so.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #202
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by santov View Post
Glad I could help!

Got my alarm today and it took about an hour to install. I wonder if the people who weren't getting the chirp to work didn't unplug the battery first. I did. The most painful part of the install was taking the fender liner out. The instructions only mentioned 3 plastic rivets and 3 screws, but there was more hardware holding that giant plastic thing in.

The plug was a little hard to find behind the EVAP canister, but the plug was there taped to the the harness. The plug for the hood switch is located behind the brake fluid reservoir and above the brake booster.

I plugged the battery back in (actually had in charging while it was unplugged from the car), reset the windows and clock. I get one chirp on lock and two chirps on unlock. If the trunk is open there is no chirp until I close the trunk. I love it! It's the classy Euro chirp, not the usual annoying chirp that ricers have installed on their toy cars.

I'll post an update when I get the software up and running and get the alarm coded.
I didn't have any issue with the chirp on locking/unlocking until I had it activated by the dealer (and I had the battery connected during installation). It was a whole fiasco trying to get it to chirp properly after activation
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 09:14 PM   #203
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Wow, thanks Santov!

I was able to order one today at the 38 buck price too. Sweeeeeettttt!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 10:07 PM   #204
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Update: I received my alarm kit on Friday and will install it next weekend. Great deal so hurry before they run out of stock!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 12:05 AM   #205
fercho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 2.5

can some body confirm is this would work on my 05 2.5i and what is the part #
thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #206
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

65730302424 is the part # and the pricing is correct as my dealer here at my location sells it for $38.50 so its not a price mistake.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 09:11 AM   #207
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by fercho View Post
thanks guys
you have to take your vin to the dealer and youll see if your car came pre wired for it. mine did it tells me on the option list, pre wired for phone and satalite as well as alarm, i guess if it didnt then youed need the whole retrofit kit as i needed for the headlight washers.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 10:06 AM   #208
fercho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

ok thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 02:32 PM   #209
ScottinSSMD
Looking for a track car
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi wagon

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
thanks guys
You can take 5 minutes to look under the hood for the connector and behind your bumper as well for the siren. Get instructions online and follow them as if you have it. If the two pin connectors are there, you are wired.

Thankfully, here around DC, we have a couple of coding guys that can code everything and anything for a simple fee, including activating your alarm. I paid $50 and got my windows up/down, lock on key in, alarm, turn signal three clicks only, and a few others. Hella cheaper than a dealer. They want $135 here just to plug you in before doing any coding. When I saw how fast and easy it was, I started laughing.
      04-07-2011, 01:10 AM   #210
fercho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

dude you guys are lucky I found a guy that has the computer for coding, but he doesn't know how to use it hehe
I found the cables for the alarm but not the siren, what can I do does the alar kit comes with the siren??
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 07:25 AM   #211
Z4Murder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: > speed limit

Quote:
dude you guys are lucky I found a guy that has the computer for coding, but he doesn't know how to use it hehe
I found the cables for the alarm but not the siren, what can I do does the alar kit comes with the siren??
the siren comes with the kit. if your car is prewired for it, it should be in the rear of the car (underneath) on the passenger side
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #212
MIKe86
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 90 332is

Says part # not found
      04-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #213
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKe86 View Post
Says part # not found
Try here.

http://www.bmwpartsunlimited.com/par...&siteid=215368
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2011, 01:33 PM   #214
MIKe86
Lieutenant
Rep

It came out to $55. Not quite the deal as 40 but we'll see what happens.

Excited though, I hope its the right part with everything needed. Would love to have a little more peace of mind when parking in some areas that I do, and to hear the girl beep when she's locked!

Thanks again for the link.
      04-08-2011, 04:09 AM   #215
santov
Lieutenant
Rep

Coding Success!

Well I got it my head to procure a software solution for coding. Oddly enough the thing I wanted the most was the 3x blink and to activate my new alarm. I'm not sure about how I ended up ordering a software package from ebay, along with the OBD cable and, since my neighbor has E39, I also bought the old skewl OBD to round socket. I also had to buy a USB > serial adapter. A couple weeks passed since I had a road trip with my dad, then got busy at work.

Installing the software was a effin' nightmare! I consider myself pretty handy with a computer, but the amount of monkeying around with all these crappy software modules was horrible. The things that got me stuck was having to figure out some registry settings on trial and error, then discovering my USB > serial adapter was bad (I hate hate hate Fry's).

Got everything up and running today. The software is really slow and cheesy. But now my settings are soooooo cool...

The "Memory/Key Coding" has most of the cool features:
3-blink on
auto lock on drive off
auto relock if no open
pathway lighting time (was 40 sec, now 150 seconds)

After I got the alarm module activated I got a few more options:
beep on arm (on)
flash on arm (on)
beep on lid close (on, doesn't beep until you close the trunk)
flash on lid close (on)

beep on disarm (on)
flash on disarm (off, I don't want the attention of the lights flashing when I approach my car, but I do want to hear the beep)

After I got done coding I lowered the windows, closed the doors and trunk and set the alarm. Reaching inside and pulling on the door handle does NOT unlock the door (I can see the black plunger wiggle, but it doesn't come up, not sure if it did this prior to alarm install and/or coding). And the trunk open button is DISABLED! This was a big one for me since I sometimes lock my laptop and wallet in the trunk, and the idea of somebody slicing the rag top and reaching in to push the button always made me worry.

So if you're in the Bay Area and want to your alarm activated I think the extra security of the locks and disabled trunk button are worth it! Come to my house and I'll code for $40.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #216
MIKe86
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by santov View Post
Well I got it my head to procure a software solution for coding. Oddly enough the thing I wanted the most was the 3x blink and to activate my new alarm. I'm not sure about how I ended up ordering a software package from ebay, along with the OBD cable and, since my neighbor has E39, I also bought the old skewl OBD to round socket. I also had to buy a USB > serial adapter. A couple weeks passed since I had a road trip with my dad, then got busy at work.

Installing the software was a effin' nightmare! I consider myself pretty handy with a computer, but the amount of monkeying around with all these crappy software modules was horrible. The things that got me stuck was having to figure out some registry settings on trial and error, then discovering my USB > serial adapter was bad (I hate hate hate Fry's).

Got everything up and running today. The software is really slow and cheesy. But now my settings are soooooo cool...

The "Memory/Key Coding" has most of the cool features:
3-blink on
auto lock on drive off
auto relock if no open
pathway lighting time (was 40 sec, now 150 seconds)

After I got the alarm module activated I got a few more options:
beep on arm (on)
flash on arm (on)
beep on lid close (on, doesn't beep until you close the trunk)
flash on lid close (on)

beep on disarm (on)
flash on disarm (off, I don't want the attention of the lights flashing when I approach my car, but I do want to hear the beep)

After I got done coding I lowered the windows, closed the doors and trunk and set the alarm. Reaching inside and pulling on the door handle does NOT unlock the door (I can see the black plunger wiggle, but it doesn't come up, not sure if it did this prior to alarm install and/or coding). And the trunk open button is DISABLED! This was a big one for me since I sometimes lock my laptop and wallet in the trunk, and the idea of somebody slicing the rag top and reaching in to push the button always made me worry.

So if you're in the Bay Area and want to your alarm activated I think the extra security of the locks and disabled trunk button are worth it! Come to my house and I'll code for $40.
Ahh! So cool. Care to fly a few hours to spend a couple minutes here on the east coast to do mine? I'll even give you an extra $5!
      04-08-2011, 01:05 PM   #217
santov
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKe86 View Post
Ahh! So cool. Care to fly a few hours to spend a couple minutes here on the east coast to do mine? I'll even give you an extra $5!
$10 and I get to drive the Duc home.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 12:54 AM   #218
fercho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

dude how much if u came to san diego??? hehe
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 01:00 AM   #219
santov
Lieutenant
Rep

Heh, I'm coming to San Diego when my sister in law has her baby in a couple months.

I'll keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 01:04 AM   #220
fercho
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

dude yea let me know
Appreciate 0