ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-23-2015, 08:13 AM   #1
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Disabling or Modifying Systems safely!!

First off always be safe on public roads.

THIS THREAD IS DIRECTED STRICTLY AT OFF ROAD MODIFICATIONS OR ADJUSTMENTS.

So other than the obvious and well known "tricks" to making our cars feel more connected what other systems can be turned off or adjusted.

1. CDV Delete........proven to be effective
2. Sprint booster.........snake oil??
3. DTC/DSC Off..........we all know what this does

Any other tricks to bring back the feeling of the 60's & 70's cars when you actually felt connected to your car.

This is subjective of course.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 09:24 AM   #2
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
The Sprint Booster just makes the throttle more sensitive, giving the impression of more power. Some have this mod and like it, but it doesn't appeal to me so I haven't tried it.

Another is the convertible top module... the name is escaping me now. It allows the top to be opened or closed with a single press of the button and without having to hold it down. It allows you to raise and lower the top at low speeds instead of only at a full stop. And lastly, three clicks of the unlock button on the key fob will lower the top.

Edit: Ooops, I'm a little OT here. I missed the last line about making the car feel more connected. Sorry!

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 10:10 AM   #3
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Thanks Josh.

My top is manual...........less weight means race car
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 11:58 AM   #4
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
what about that restricting elbow in front of the air box? I popped mine off when installing CAI

Also removed the headlight washer assemblies all together.

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 08:13 PM   #5
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Clutch stop mod, shorter engagement. As long as not too extreme (synchro wear).

Alignment. If your running stock there's room to sharpen responsiveness.

Autosolutions SSK (if you can find one), transmission mounts. Shifter feel and engagement.

Exhaust. Good one without drone. Sound gives a great connection and visceral experience.

Tires. Good rubber = better responsiveness and more feel.

BBK or Racingbrake or Rallyroad brake kit. Addresses, at expense, non linear braking feel.

Those won't give a 60s or 70s feel (go drive an old car and see what I mean, in many ways our car is sharper) yet the computer systems do take something away. Some of the above will increase connectivity. The drive by wire means some loss of feel (I prefer my 95 E36 wire throttle) that can't be worked around. That, and the non-linear braking really are impossible (or expensive in the case of brakes) to remedy.

Last but not least go drive a more modern 5 series. No turbo. Or an Altima (talk about numb and disconnected). Then compare to the Z. Bet that changes the comparison point
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 08:15 AM   #6
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Thanks Finn,

Clutch stop and bigger brakes are something to look to.

Turning off the computer aids is more what I was looking to do, safely of course.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 10:12 AM   #7
WestCDA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4R 3.0si

Turning off DTC (dynamic traction control) and DSC (dynamic stability control) are done using the DTC button on the console - there is no secret to it. The purpose and functions of both, and how to enable/disable them, are described in the owners manual.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 10:16 AM   #8
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Do you have navigation? There is a way to unlock perspective mode so it's not just top down view.
      06-24-2015, 10:25 AM   #9
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
DTC can be reprogrammed, though no one has tried this that I know of. I'm not sure about other computer aids.

- Vibra Technics motor mounts. Eliminates some slop in the drivetrain without significantly impacting NVH.

- Single mass flywheel. While polarizing, this eliminates the slop in the dual mass flywheel and self adjusting clutch (which I believe our cars have, but I could be wrong). Shifts became crisp and intuitive once I made the switch, even with the CDV still installed.

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 10:59 AM   #10
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post
Turning off DTC (dynamic traction control) and DSC (dynamic stability control) are done using the DTC button on the console - there is no secret to it. The purpose and functions of both, and how to enable/disable them, are described in the owners manual.
Yea got all that its in my OP
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 11:00 AM   #11
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeybritches View Post
DTC can be reprogrammed, though no one has tried this that I know of. I'm not sure about other computer aids.

- Vibra Technics motor mounts. Eliminates some slop in the drivetrain without significantly impacting NVH.

- Single mass flywheel. While polarizing, this eliminates the slop in the dual mass flywheel and self adjusting clutch (which I believe our cars have, but I could be wrong). Shifts became crisp and intuitive once I made the switch, even with the CDV still installed.
Yep, clutch and LW flywheel is on the list for off season.
Did the Megan Racing motor and trans mounts and noticed big difference.

Last edited by Steeler; 06-24-2015 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 02:12 PM   #12
WestCDA
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4R 3.0si

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
Yea got all that its in my OP
Sorry - misread that as you were inquiring what they did. I'm going to have to slow down when I'm reading ...
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2015, 03:31 PM   #13
Steeler
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCDA View Post
Sorry - misread that as you were inquiring what they did. I'm going to have to slow down when I'm reading ...

No worries bro!
Fingers moving faster than brain, happens all the time with me
Appreciate 0