ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-31-2015, 10:05 PM   #1
rocky79
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0SI

Z4 Coupe 3.0SI power dip

Hello,

I have been having this issue with the car since I bought it. When I push on the accelerator, the car seems to have a power delay and then it picks up. It's not like the car stumbles or hesitate.

Does anyone knows what is it? Thanks
      06-04-2015, 11:44 PM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
You're not giving much to go off of. Pull codes, what maintenance have you done? Auto or manual?
      06-05-2015, 09:26 AM   #3
rmousir
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

I'm guessing this is the auto.. its a lag. I've experienced it with other cars.. its almost as if the computer (I don't believe we have a cable throttle) is double checking when you floor the gas before it kicks the car off into go, correct?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2015, 10:52 AM   #4
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Another quick check if you have the Sport Package (button). Is there any noticeable difference with the button on and off? As 3002 suggested, more info would help.
      06-07-2015, 07:56 PM   #5
rocky79
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the reply guys.
I have a manual transmission, sport package.
I have close to 130k miles now.

Ever since I got the car @ 122k I have done the following:
Replaced all spark plugs: Bosch FR7NPP332
Oil Change Mobile1 0W40.
Replaced the valve cover gasket+ Eccentric shaft sensor o-ring.
Replaced the air filter (OEM)
Replaced all 4 shocks with Koni-Yellow.
Replaced rear brakes ( Testar) and Rotors ( Zimmerman Coat Z)
      06-09-2015, 11:58 AM   #6
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

As for a Z4Si auto-box causing a lag, mine is very freaking quick. Response is commensurate with the amount of right foot I give it. I.E. gentle gas is a very smooth start, stomp it and it provides a lot more torque. Both have "zero" lag. Overall, one of the best autoboxes I have driven without it being a DSG. Yes, I know he has a stick but I get tired of the autoboxes inferior thought process. They are a trade-off like everything else. Seen them last 250k + when maintained and how many of us actually have a car with that kind of mileage. Sorry, lecture ended....

As for the "lag": Its most likely engine vacuum related, With 130k on the clock could be a number of things that are going but not gone enough to throw a CEL (wont be long though). If I had to say one thing I would pick ** "EDIT" VANOS solenoid, BUT, Any of the below will contribute to sluggish start.
I.E.:
Intake air filter
Intake Boot(s)
Valve cover gasket (saw you did it already -great)
vacuum lines
DISA Valve
ignition coils
CCV plumbing
***EDIT -VANOS solenoid dirty see: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106696
I would check/replace in the order shown as its sorted easiest/cheapest first. If you have not started looking at these things, you need to. They do wear out/break down with time, heat and miles.

You also need to start thinking about your cooling system and suspension bushings, if not already done.

I did all the above on my 330i (m54) at 120k and it was a huge change for the better. CCV was the biggest PITA, frustrating for the cost, but worth it. It literally fell apart as I removed the old one.
All the above are also inherent to the N52 engine and will most definitely cause your issue; and much worse.
Otherwise, could be more complex/expensive fuel injector/engine issue but usually not....

**EDIT - I originally stated VANOS orings. In the N52 engine apparently the VANOS orings are much better quality, But its solenoid(s) can become dirty. Typically causes rough idle.
Good luck
Bruce
2011 E93 335is - current fav

Last edited by BruceJ; 06-16-2015 at 07:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 12:41 AM   #7
rocky79
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceJ View Post
As for a Z4Si auto-box causing a lag, mine is very freaking quick. Response is commensurate with the amount of right foot I give it. I.E. gentle gas is a very smooth start, stomp it and it provides a lot more torque. Both have "zero" lag. Overall, one of the best autoboxes I have driven without it being a DSG. Yes, I know he has a stick but I get tired of the autoboxes inferior thought process. They are a trade-off like everything else. Seen them last 250k + when maintained and how many of us actually have a car with that kind of mileage. Sorry, lecture ended....

As for the "lag": Its most likely engine vacuum related, With 130k on the clock could be a number of things that are going but not gone enough to throw a CEL (wont be long though). If I had to say one thing I would pick VANOS o-rings, BUT, Any of the below will contribute to sluggish start.
I.E.:
Intake air filter
Intake Boot(s)
Valve cover gasket (saw you did it already -great)
vacuum lines
DISA Valve
ignition coils
CCV plumbing
VANOS O-rings
I would check/replace in the order shown as its sorted easiest/cheapest first. If you have not started looking at these things, you need to. They do wear out/break down with time, heat and miles.

You also need to start thinking about your cooling system and suspension bushings, if not already done.

I did all the above on my 330i (m54) at 120k and it was a huge change for the better. CCV was the biggest PITA, frustrating for the cost, but worth it. It literally fell apart as I removed the old one.
All the above are also inherent to the N52 engine and will most definitely cause your issue; and much worse.
Otherwise, could be more complex/expensive fuel injector/engine issue but usually not....
Good luck
Bruce
Bruce, thank you. That is very helpful.
I will go through the list and see which one needs work.
      06-20-2015, 08:40 AM   #8
Francisco4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 3.0si Z4 Manual

Have you reset the throttle adaption since you have owned the vehicle? Simply and free option to try. I was surprised as to how much it changed the response to my right foot.

FDR
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2015, 07:05 PM   #9
rocky79
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francisco4 View Post
Have you reset the throttle adaption since you have owned the vehicle? Simply and free option to try. I was surprised as to how much it changed the response to my right foot.

FDR
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did it few times before.
I also noticed that when idle and if I blip the throttle a bit the engine rpm go up then it drops below the average and then goes to normal. Not sure if that's an obvious indication to something.