ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
sipman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Z4MC with all seasons... Any regrets?

Here's the short of it. Destroyed a rear conti at a skid pad school (tread blocks tore off tire to expose belts) so need a new set of street tires.

I run hankook RS3s on the track, but need something for around town. I was going to buy the Cooper RS3-S for about $600 the set but discovered that Sears Auto was doing a crazy sale. I just placed an order on Goodyear Eagle GT, listed as ultra performance all season for under $400 for the set after rebates. That frees up some cash for more track tires and brake pads.

The main complaint is people are getting low mileage on these tires on tire rack, but given our hp at the rears, I never expect more than 10,000 miles anyways.

Anyone go to all seasons and lament their decision? I keep trying to convince myself that tracks are for driving really fast and those max performance summer only tires are going to be wasted on miles of highways.... Thoughts?
      05-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
ANUSTART
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4

I had Continental DWS and they were great for wear and performance. Didn't mind having them at all. I had about 12k on them and they barely showed wear. Rain and dry pavement performance was very good and they handled the snow very well. I have since went to just summer rubber and have a winter car.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
psygnosis
Major
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i Sport

I have the Conti DWS on my 2004 3.0i and they're great. I had the GoodYear Eagle F1 AS and the rears wore out really fast.
      09-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
p1nk50ck
HNIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

the problem with all seasons, is that they're a jack of all trades, master of none.

they're okay street tires, and they can be pretty cheap. they're hardly "snow tires" but they'll get you by in cold weather or anything under an inch of snow. the primary issue with running them as "snow" tires, is increased stopping distance and questionable turning abilities.

i also understand that there's a downside to running 3 sets of dedicated wheels (track, summer, winter). I live in a condo, so i have very limited space. we hardly get any snow in the DC area, and I don't drive to work. if there's snow on the ground, i try to get a ride, or just avoid going.

if you can run 3 sets of wheels, then you definitely should (especially if the z4m is your only mode of transportation). if you don't then, having dedicated track tires, and some all seasons will get you by.

as far as all seasons go, i've been really happy with Falken Ziex 512's and 912's. cheap and good grip in the rain/light snow.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
Spedracer81
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

I agree with p1nk50ck, I upgraded to larger wheels with all season tires but after a spirited drive I feel I lost traction and not as confident in the corners..although my stock Conti's where great on a hot day, but scary in the rain..I had to compromise...

| 2008 Interlagos Blue Z4MC |
| AA Tuning | RPI Scoop | H&R Sport Springs | Sportline CS 16 CSL Wheels | Magna Flow Custom Exhaust |
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
p1nk50ck
HNIC
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
psygnosis
Major
Rep