ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-11-2022, 01:13 AM   #1
DFW Tom
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 Roadster 3.0i

Convertible Top Shelf

Hey everyone, while I was replacing my rear suspension components on my E85 I discovered my convertible top shelf back in the trunk is not clipped into anything, it’s just sitting there bouncing around. Good news is that I know what has been creating this knocking noise that drives me nuts every time I hit a bump. Bad news is I can’t get this stupid shelf to clip in to the brackets on the sides. Can someone help coach me on how to get this shelf secured please?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 08:48 AM   #2
wyshyvanuk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 MR

I found the following partial information in my "notes" from a while ago. The only time I've dealt with re-installing that shelf was so horrific that I've blocked the details ;~). I DO recall that the process was NOT intuitive, and required some degree of contortion. Hopefully, another member can provide the "easy" version.

"Z4M Rear Deck Clips
I was having problems myself. It's not hard at all. Once you have it all back together minus the clips.
Verify the top still works so you know you don't have to remove the shelf to fix the switch the shelf hits when fully down.
If you have a wind deflector remove it.
Close the top and go into the trunk and put the shelf in the full up position.
When you installed the shelf you saw the spring loaded plastic piece that sits upright at a 90 from the shelf. The clips go just on the other side of this plastic piece.
Go into the car and from the Drivers side you can reach back and install the clips on the Passenger side by reaching between the seats.
Then go to the other side and do the same for the Drivers side.
They go in really easy so back to the trunk and check that they are fully down and in place.
Good luck."
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 09:35 AM   #3
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

And whatever you do, DO NOT kneel on the seats without putting something on them first such as a folded up blanket. Kneeling on the seat can break the seat belt warning pad!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 08:42 PM   #4
DFW Tom
Rep

Thanks, but I don’t know what these clips are that you are referring to. Is this the shelf clipping on the brackets? It sounds like you’re talking about separate pieces. I suppose it’s possible a previous owner removed the clips and tossed them?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 09:05 PM   #5
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW Tom View Post
Thanks, but I don’t know what these clips are that you are referring to. Is this the shelf clipping on the brackets? It sounds like you’re talking about separate pieces. I suppose it’s possible a previous owner removed the clips and tossed them?
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=54_0315

Part 4 (listed as fuse don’t know why) there’s 4 clips per side if I remember right holding the tray to the bracket
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 01:20 AM   #6
DFW Tom
Rep

Thanks guys, I ordered the clips or fuses or whatever the heck we are calling them. I’ll try to get them installed once they come in. Wish the previous owner didn’t throw these things away, but I’m dying to get rid of this knocking noise every time I hit a bump in the road. Is it pretty obvious where they go when I access the area with the top up?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 01:24 AM   #7
DFW Tom
Rep

Crazy I’ve been able to replace the drive axles, wheel bearings, calipers, hubs, rotors, pads, shocks, springs, struts, front sway bar links and lower control arms without too much of a problem. But I feel kind of dumb to be hung up on something so trivial like this!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 01:29 AM   #8
DFW Tom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
And whatever you do, DO NOT kneel on the seats without putting something on them first such as a folded up blanket. Kneeling on the seat can break the seat belt warning pad!
Thanks for the tip!
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 07:06 AM   #9
wyshyvanuk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 MR

Pelican Parts to the rescue:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...eplacement.htm
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2022, 07:40 AM   #10
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Crazy I’ve been able to replace the drive axles, wheel bearings, calipers, hubs, rotors, pads, shocks, springs, struts, front sway bar links and lower control arms without too much of a problem. But I feel kind of dumb to be hung up on something so trivial like this!
Oh don’t you worry there’s a fair chance you’ll be scraping your knuckles getting around those plastic pieces to get the clips on too
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 12:33 AM   #11
DFW Tom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper1 View Post
Oh don’t you worry there’s a fair chance you’ll be scraping your knuckles getting around those plastic pieces to get the clips on too
With all the work I’ve done so far, I’m sure I’ve already donated a couple pints of blood. But I appreciate the heads up that there’s more to come. Why in the heck is the engine so easy to work on with tons of space around it, but everything else draws blood?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 12:38 AM   #12
DFW Tom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyshyvanuk View Post
You can’t imagine how close I am to finally taking it in to the dealership for this one! But after everything I’ve done on my own, I really think my stubbornness will prevail!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 11:30 AM   #13
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon

Those clips just clip in from inside of the car.put the shelf in Set those adjustable brackets in upper position make sure it is set properly than go back inside the car and press those clips from there. Little tight but they pop right in. Good luck.
Appreciate 2
kaybat125.50
DFW Tom11.00
      01-07-2023, 05:10 PM   #14
DFW Tom
Rep

Thank you all for your advice, the shelf is in place. It was definitely a challenge, as I’m 6’2” and 240 lbs, perhaps I should have mentioned that up front! Lol
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 01:42 PM   #15
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you all for your advice, the shelf is in place. It was definitely a challenge, as I’m 6’2” and 240 lbs, perhaps I should have mentioned that up front! Lol
glad you got it sorted, it’ll go easier for you next time if you’re replacing rear shocks or replacing the shelf switch. And there’s a reason I picked the bass rather than 6 string guitar with having fat fingers right there with ya
Appreciate 0