ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-07-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
///Rage
I love ///M
England
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Burning smell...please help.

Hi. Bought a AUC Z4M last april and Ive been very happy with it but been noticing something recently that has me a little concerned. Initailly I started noticing that my AC wasnt quite working up to par as usual. Seemed like it wasnt cooling enough and the fan power was reduced through the vents. If i turned it up to max and turned the temp to max coldness then it would spring to life and cool very quickly but at medium settings it just seemed like it was alot weaker than usual. Ive generally been ignoring this especially with the cold weather we've had recently.

A couple of weeks ago I installed a Gruppe M intake. Sounds awesome but with increasing regularity, especially with high revs/high speeds what was initially an unpleasant/stale odour is smelling more and more like a burnt odour. Sometimes its more prevalent than others but im definatley noticing it more and more and seems to be getting stronger.

No noticable change in engine power. No warning lights on the dash. Today after a short drive I smelled it again...pulled over..popped the bonnet and saw nothing out of the ordinary. Sniffed around the engine bay and all seemed normal....just normal 'engine heat smell' if you know what i mean.

Any ideas what this could be? AC problem? Engine fault? Gruppe M causing problems? My car is still under the 12 months AUC warranty and is due inspection I in 2600 miles.

Please help because im going insane thinking my S54 is self combusting
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Rage View Post
Hi. Bought a AUC Z4M last april and Ive been very happy with it but been noticing something recently that has me a little concerned. Initailly I started noticing that my AC wasnt quite working up to par as usual. Seemed like it wasnt cooling enough and the fan power was reduced through the vents. If i turned it up to max and turned the temp to max coldness then it would spring to life and cool very quickly but at medium settings it just seemed like it was alot weaker than usual. Ive generally been ignoring this especially with the cold weather we've had recently.

A couple of weeks ago I installed a Gruppe M intake. Sounds awesome but with increasing regularity, especially with high revs/high speeds what was initially an unpleasant/stale odour is smelling more and more like a burnt odour. Sometimes its more prevalent than others but im definatley noticing it more and more and seems to be getting stronger.

No noticable change in engine power. No warning lights on the dash. Today after a short drive I smelled it again...pulled over..popped the bonnet and saw nothing out of the ordinary. Sniffed around the engine bay and all seemed normal....just normal 'engine heat smell' if you know what i mean.

Any ideas what this could be? AC problem? Engine fault? Gruppe M causing problems? My car is still under the 12 months AUC warranty and is due inspection I in 2600 miles.

Please help because im going insane thinking my S54 is self combusting
One thing it could be is dirty salt water off the roads drying on the exhaust, it gives a nasty acrid smell when it gets hot. As you've had a harsh winter in the UK this year, they've probably used a lot more salt on the roads than usual. Try spray washing the underside of the car and exhaust (when it isn't too hot) to see if the smell goes away.
Appreciate 0