ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-17-2014, 10:23 AM   #1
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

Taping at the Track

At the end of this week I have an opportunity to hit the track for the first time in the new Z and I was thinking about going out and buying what looks to be some painters tape and applying it to the front of the car. I've never done this before as in my old Z I could have cared less about rock chips, but I wanted to see what everyone's attitude is towards people who do this.

Is it a totally "noob" thing to do?
Does it really help from rock chips?
Is it worth doing anything more than the front bumper?

TIA

(super excited for the first track day in the M Coupe )
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #2
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

I have a clear bra on my car, so essentially it is doing what tape would be doing.

Taping the headlights would help protect the lens from rubber being kicked up...or what I like to call it OPR (Other People's Rubber)

The tape will help you just reduce cleanup from rubber getting hit and some occasional rock chips. IMO I think it is worth the time to tape it up
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 10:44 AM   #3
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Forgot to also ask, best kind of tape? I assume everyone just uses multi-surface painters tape but never checked into that.

Thanks for the speedy response Kgolf!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 11:16 AM   #4
Gladius
Two Wheels or Four?
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Perf Edition m240i

I don't generally tape the whole front bumper, usually just the leading edges of the sides. I also tape up the side skirts/fenders directly behind the front wheel, and the rear bumper right behind the rear wheels, as they tend to kick up a lot of gravel and debris that "spots" the paint in those two spots.

Current: '18 AW Performance Edition m240i
Gone: '15 Mineral Grey m235i || '07 Silver Grey M Coupe || '11 Space Grey 328i XDrive || '08 SparkG M3 || '01 LSB M3 || '01 TiAg 330ci
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 12:01 PM   #5
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Tape is a good idea but I find that painters tape is too strong, in fact it can pull your paint if it's not original. They sell specific automotive tape which looks just like painter's tape. But I agree, taping is worth the effort. I double/triple layer on the headlights to prevent stone chips (cracked a fog light last season because I forgot to do this).

Before getting my clear bra, I used to single layer the front bumper, first 1/3rd of the hood, mirror caps and behind the wheel wells.
      03-17-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
PLCZ4MC
Proud E86M Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M Coupe Monaco Blue

I use tape as well in hole front bumper and headlights, logos of the car and the sides bottom part below the door in case I of under staring and getting off the track. But now I got the clean defender for front bumper, headlights, and first part of the hood.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2014, 08:06 PM   #7
i2ichal2dZ4M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BSM Z4MC

no tape, no clear bra. because racecar lol. If I were to do it again, I would clear bra the headlights and thats pretty much it. All these years of driving, I get more front end chips/etc from daily driving. Must of the marks/etc get polished out during my bi annual detail.
      03-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #8
sipman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

I bought Mother's R3 Racing Rubber Remover last year. Haven't had the chance to try it yet, but hopefully it works.
      03-18-2014, 01:17 PM   #9
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddish View Post
At the end of this week I have an opportunity to hit the track for the first time in the new Z and I was thinking about going out and buying what looks to be some painters tape and applying it to the front of the car. I've never done this before as in my old Z I could have cared less about rock chips, but I wanted to see what everyone's attitude is towards people who do this.

Is it a totally "noob" thing to do?
Does it really help from rock chips?
Is it worth doing anything more than the front bumper?

TIA

(super excited for the first track day in the M Coupe )
I have 3M Scotchgard clear paint protection on my hood and front bumper cover but use the ISC Racers Tape around the wheel openings. It is easy to apply and doesn't leave any residue when removed.
http://www.racerstape.com/rtp.html
Name:  880021115_f5S34-O[1].jpg
Views: 369
Size:  88.0 KB
Use Mr Clean Magic Eraser with plenty of lubricant like final inspection to remove rubber rash

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 10:17 AM   #10
Arsonism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Is there a good alternative to racers tape that can be found in a local store? Unfortunately without adequate planning I'm left with local options for Friday.

Thanks again for all your responses! Looks like I'll be committing to some sort of tape and taking the time to do it tomorrow before we go out.
Appreciate 0