ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #67
mgwatson48
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E86 M

Great work!!! I dunno if it's possible to swap soft tops, but a tan soft top would look soooo good on it!

When the sun comes up you should snap a couple macro pics of the paint!
      12-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #68
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

I am impressed with how quickly this project went from beginning to end and how good it looks now. Interested in seeing pictures of it in the sun.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #69
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Sport

Quote:
Great work!!! I dunno if it's possible to swap soft tops, but a tan soft top would look soooo good on it!

When the sun comes up you should snap a couple macro pics of the paint!
Thank you. Tan tops are soooo sexy on red and blue cars, it's something I'd like to do someday. I tried snapping these pics of flake with the macro settings and other settings on the camera... but I really suck with cameras LOL.

Quote:
I am impressed with how quickly this project went from beginning to end and how good it looks now. Interested in seeing pictures of it in the sun.
It's mostly all about time... A truck load of tools and experience doesn't hurt either. I have the time to spend 5 -12+ hrs a day working on it. I have about 120 hrs in just the paint so far.

Full sun, no flash trying to get a pic of the flake. I suck with a camera LOL.

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #70
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep

Money shots, full sun, no flash.

Name:  PC190009.JPG
Views: 822
Size:  274.0 KB

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #71
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Yes! Looks incredible! Love it (wife does too)!

Great thread, and what a wonderful conclusion to a lot of hard work!

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #72
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

That turned out great, I'm sure in person its even more striking.
      12-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #73
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

Awesome! Great project and even better results. Congrats!
      12-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #74
mgwatson48
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E86 M

Looks great!!! Love it!
      12-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #75
seventy5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Beautiful!! Hard work paid off )
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 04:29 PM   #76
angelsz4
silver bullet
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw z4 silver bullet

I don't know why, but I don't like it. Maybe it's the dirty tires.
      12-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #77
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep

Thank Y'all

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsz4 View Post
I don't know why, but I don't like it. Maybe it's the dirty tires.

, I don't like silver cars either OOPS, forgot the usual warning most people use "sorry about the dirty car" car wasn't washed after driving around in rain and wet roads for 2 days either.

But nothing really matters anyways because it's 12/21/2012 and......

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #78
KLH
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 3.0si

I agree, the grey, washed out look of the tires detracts from the overall look in the photo.

I bet the color looks great in person.

I think it would've looked cool in blue too.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #79
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLH View Post
I agree, the grey, washed out look of the tires detracts from the overall look in the photo.

I bet the color looks great in person.

I think it would've looked cool in blue too.
Actually, the tires are new and I havn't washed the film off them yet. Definatly wasn't going to spray any of that tire shine stuff on them when I knew I was needing to do paint work and wont use that stuff for a while as I still have to respray the trunk. That stuff is is silicone and that's bad news for painting a car.

The car still needs to be sanded, buffed and detailed inside and out. All I've done since I put her back together was wash the dust off the convertable top and ride around enjoying the drive.

These cars look great in blue. Prolly do that in a few years when I get the new car itch again LOL.

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 01:12 AM   #80
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

The tires didn't bother me. If I were to change something on it, I'd paint the inside of the wheels black. Not feeling the gold wheels with the new color.

Please excuse the horrible photoshop

Last edited by beta; 12-22-2012 at 01:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 01:56 AM   #81
3point0
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4 3.0

Garage List
2006 Audi S4 Avant  [0.00]
2005 BMW Z4  [5.67]
+1 on the black wheels. personally not a fan of the gold / kandy combo. kandy does look edible tho'

2005 Z4 3.0 steptronic | TiSilver on Black | sport & premium package | 108s | Msport seats | wind deflector
OMP strut bar | blacked out emblems | de-french-fried | sound gen | DIY aux input | custom speedo logos | stubby antenna | polished exhaust tips
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #82
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep

Actually, I do like that, been thinking of painting the centers and wondering if I should do a color match with the kandy or a black or silver, kandy would be a real beatch to paint on these wheels. A little more agressive backspacing on the wheels and lowering it a touch would help too.

That looks like a satin black which matches the grills, top and the little bit of carbon fiber wrapping I did on the door handles and the side marker lights and the inside of my headlights looks like a satin black too and I'm planning to tint the side windows and back window 35%. I like it. I think it would look better than a gloss black center on this car, a hyper black wouldn't look too bad though, could do that with a black kandy too but again it would be really hard to spray kandy on these wheels. Hmm basicly the rest of the exterior of car is black, chrome or red exept the gold on the wheels.

One thing I don't like and never have is all black wheels though.

Gold centers work best on black cars and medium - dark blues. Only paid about $500 for the wheels new so I really can't bitch about the gold centers myself. LOL

Edit: Looks like you have BMW caps on those wheels too and that looks pretty good.

Last edited by pmmjarrett; 12-22-2012 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #83
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M COUPE

Garage List
Congrats and keep up the great work!!

One can tell you really know what you are doing and not just a brave rookie with no fear ! Excellent job - really custom job and to get it done at a shop to that level would cost a fortune in layour alone.

++1 for the black wheels 0 would look much better with the colour as well as the black top 0 some dressing on the top will pull it together. Can always get white and black roundels for the wheels rather than blue and white.
Attached Images

2006 M COUPE - 380 total production, 1 of 40Imola Red produced for NA , ESS 455 Supercharger, Speedhut Gauges, VPM CLS wheels, 19" Hancooks, Stromung Exhaust, Carbon fibre accessories and black and white badging,
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #84
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep

Thank you.

Labor would be the big hurt on a job like this but taking everything apart is the only way to get as close to a factory look as possible without overspray on everthing when doing a color change. Easily 80-100 hrs for a full time body shop familiar with BMW. Not hard to get $8-$10k or more into a custom paint job.

I did about the bare minimum for a nice color change. Could have gone way deeper into a complete disassembly of the entire car like you do on a restoration but I don't want to be working on the car for 6 months to a year.

I'll get her polished and finished up and detailed nice this spring. I'm a little preoccupied with some other stuff right now. With the gun nuts gone mad again, I sold my AR15 and accessories to a gun store just before Christmas at basicly full retail for a new tricked out rifle . I walked in, plopped it on the counter and said I want $$$XXXX.00 for this rifle and they didn't argue. Did a functions test, said he normally couldn't pay that much but could probably sell it by the end of the day and opened up the cash register Cha-Ching I was in the store again thursday... It's gone.

I got a pretty good deal on a nice used Springield XD40 with an extra mag. At least I can still find plenty of .40 S&W ammo to plink at the range around here. I traded my remaining .223 for .40 with my neighbor. Picking her up tomorrow and getting in some range time and a class this week.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #85
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Bring it to Zfest so the rest of us can get some pictures too. http://www.zfest.com/ Not a lot of custom work of the Z4's yet. I've done a little on mine but no-where near your paint work.

Funny, you bought the same pistol I own. Only one I have. Did 20 years in the Corps, regularly slept with a MP5, M16, etc, but never thought about owning a pistol. Bought it last year after the wife came home one day with story about attempted carjacking at the local Wal-mart. Not her, but just hearing it come out of her mouth flipped the switch for me. Not much thought, in the gun store the next day.

Had my fill of fun with guns earlier in life, but its looking more like a necessity. Thinking about the XD 9mm with shorter barrel cause it fits loaded in the first aid kit box under driver seat. Already felted it's interior, nothing rattles.
2011 E93 335is - current fav

Last edited by BruceJ; 12-30-2012 at 06:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #86
pmmjarrett
Retired Paratrooper
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceJ View Post
Bring it to Zfest so the rest of us can get some pictures too. http://www.zfest.com/ Not a lot of custom work of the Z4's yet. I've done a little on mine but no-where near your paint work.

Funny, you bought the same pistol I own. Only one I have. Did 20 years in the Corps, regularly slept with a MP5, M16, etc, but never thought about owning a pistol. Bought it last year after the wife came home one day with story about attempted carjacking at the local Wal-mart. Not her, but just hearing it come out of her mouth flipped the switch for me. Not much thought, in the gun store the next day.

Had my fill of fun with guns earlier in life, but its looking more like a necessity. Thinking about the XD 9mm with shorter barrel cause it fits loaded in the first aid kit box under driver seat. Already felted it's interior, nothing rattles.
Zfest 2013 Was wondering if they were gonna do one in Greenville again. I just might have to start planning to go. Thanks

I'm intimatly familiar with the M4 carbine I slept with for a few years in the sandbox LOL.

About the same thing with the wife here. Was at Walmart Christmas shopping and a 72 year old man was robbed of $8 and his groceries by 3 men in broad daylight the parking lot and she's told me about creeps following her around lately too... and this isn't even in a big city. One of her friends home was broken into today while they were at church and my neighbor was just telling me yesterday about a guy a couple miles away having his entire house "cleaned out" while he was at work a few days ago. I've had enough and being disabled and with jackazzez robbing 72 year old men for $8 makes me feel like I probably have a target painted on my back.

I live waaaay out in the country, 15 miles from any town you can go shopping, 29 miles from the closest sherriff/police station and the closest mom and pop country store is 4 miles away. I see a sherriffs car go by about once a week and havn't see a state police car on this road in 7 years. Been some breakins and drug problems around here lately too, Might be kind of dangerous for the criminals as everyone I know around here has guns and knows how to use them.

CCW class for me next saturday, never bothered with it before becaue I figured it was a little too hard to hide my Carbine

I don't shoot the AR much anymore because of my left shoulder so it was time for it to go. Biggest reason I had an AR in the first place was cheap plinking ammo and I'm very good with that platform. I like to build my own guns too. I've built 3 black powder pistols over the years as well as my own AR. Build one, shoot it for a while and sell it. Rinse and repeat. I don't collect guns or horde ammo but I do like to have one around. Since I ain't building this one I guess I'll at least have to take it apart and give her a custom finish. How's that old saying go... Beware of the man with only 1 gun because he probably knows how to use it LOL.

The XD is a natural for those of us that were in the military and are familiar with the M1911 Colt and M9 Berretta but looking for something a little more modern, lighter and safe... The ergonomics are familiar, grip, trigger and striker block safeties and proven reliability sold me on this gun. I like the trigger in this thing too a lot. Quite a bit like the RRA 2 stage match trigger I had in my AR.

Decided to go with .40S&W because it doesn't cost that much more than 9mm and I have no problem finding it in stock around here when they go on these panic buying trips that are becoming more and more common. Besides, what's better than a 9mm... A 10mm LOL

I looked at some M&Ps, a Walthers P99 and 380, various Glocks, Sig P225 and P250, an old Ruger P94 and a used P89 IIRC, a few old beat up S&W police trades, an Israeli BUL Cherokee, a Turkish Canik TP-9 and a few others I can't remember over the last couple weeks.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 03:35 AM   #87
MikeRua
Enlisted Member
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 M Coupe

fantastic job mate...too much work for the likes of me.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 09:57 AM   #88
SwissArmy
Why so serious?
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4; BMW X5; BMW 733

Saw this thread, bought the Brembo covers right away!

Thanks!

Edit: What kind of glue do you use? Silicone glue?

Last edited by SwissArmy; 01-10-2013 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 0