ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-18-2010, 06:56 AM   #89
CFoote
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 M5CS, '00 M5, '06 Z4M

Garage List
2022 M5CS  [0.00]
2001 BMW 740i  [0.00]
2006 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2012 BMW X6 3.5i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325xi  [0.00]
2017 BMW 540xi  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2001 BMW X5 4.4i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch View Post
Just a heads up. Installed the new tranny mounts and I have not grinded at all. Tranny has a notchier feel but it seems to have eliminated my grinding going into second. It is awesome being able to slam into second gear and get ALL the power down. Feels good. RE tranny mounts $50. Did about fifteen stop and go's from first to second up to 8k shifting w/o hesitation. Went right into gear and the tires rip off second gear. NICE. Install was a bitch as the studs are longer on the RE mounts compared to the stock ones. This makes it tricky. I used a angled Craftsman 3/8 ratchet to get to the top mount bolts. No exhaust removal, just took down part of the heatshield. 45 minutes including jacking car.

You need to remove the tranny crossmember first then loosen the top mount bolts.
Mousitch, do you have a modified CDV as well?

Chris
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 07:08 AM   #90
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFoote View Post
Mousitch, do you have a modified CDV as well?

Chris
Yes
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert settings
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 07:10 AM   #91
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaliber View Post
Would love to see a tranny mount replacement DIY for the n00bs in the room (me).
I got about halfway done and i realized I screwed up by not documenting this in pictures. Sorry. It's really not hard, I suppose a shop would charge an hour's labor as it only took me(first time doing it) 45 minutes. And that was with no lift and limited daylight too.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert settings
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 08:59 AM   #92
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind32 View Post
Thanks for the long term review Mousitch. I might have to look into this.

Who else had this done? thekurgan, RobMCoupe how are you enjoying yours?
I had been meaning to do mine as well, but the weather was shit here past few months. The mounts are great, I never had a grind, but now the shifting is a bit lighter in the throw and very consistent. The stock mounts were so soft, you can squeeze them between your fingers. I suspect as the weather warms up, the stock mounts would become softer. These Rogue mounts are stiff and solid. I made some runs where I was denied previously, braking hard from speed and using the gearbox, I was denied a 3 -> 2 and a 4 -> 3. That is no more.
      05-18-2010, 09:38 AM   #93
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
I made some runs where I was denied previously, braking hard from speed and using the gearbox, I was denied a 3 -> 2 and a 4 -> 3. That is no more.
Same here. It lets me put it in gear wherever I want. It WILL let you do a money shift easy now. I noticed that as I was at speed with the clutch in. I could get into second at 40 or 50 very easy with these mounts in. Something to be watchful for. No denying downshifts.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 02:47 PM   #94
Thisisdudewhoru
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 BSM 340i

I've made 20 passes at the quarter mile in my car now. I've ground 2nd once. I have stock cdv.
      05-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #95
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisdudewhoru View Post
I've made 20 passes at the quarter mile in my car now. I've ground 2nd once. I have stock cdv.
Curious, what's your best et/MPH?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 04:37 PM   #96
vasaline
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster

When u guys get that grind, how severe is the grind? Is it a long grind or a really quck short grind? Not sure if mine grinds...
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 06:47 PM   #97
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Youll know it when it happens. Trust me. Mine only did it every know and then. Not constant. At full throttle shifting to second at redline.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #98
Thisisdudewhoru
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Curious, what's your best et/MPH?
13.52@105 with a 2.0 sixty foot. Stock continental tires with 15k miles on them. My car is dead stock.

My track is at 1500ft and the average density altitude is 4200 feet plus or minus 1000ft. At a sea level track like MIR(maryland) I should be in easy 12s or if I had some drag radials it would be damn close to 12's at my track.
      05-18-2010, 07:01 PM   #99
Thisisdudewhoru
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just a heads up. Installed the new tranny mounts and I have not grinded at all. Tranny has a notchier feel but it seems to have eliminated my grinding going into second. It is awesome being able to slam into second gear and get ALL the power down. Feels good. RE tranny mounts $50. Did about fifteen stop and go's from first to second up to 8k shifting w/o hesitation. Went right into gear and the tires rip off second gear. NICE. Install was a bitch as the studs are longer on the RE mounts compared to the stock ones. This makes it tricky. I used a angled Craftsman 3/8 ratchet to get to the top mount bolts. No exhaust removal, just took down part of the heatshield. 45 minutes including jacking car.

You need to remove the tranny crossmember first then loosen the top mount bolts.
Good to hear my upgraded mounts idea quite possibly solved the problem as it did in my old car.
      05-18-2010, 07:04 PM   #100
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisisdudewhoru View Post
13.52@105 with a 2.0 sixty foot. Stock continental tires with 15k miles on them. My car is dead stock.

My track is at 1500ft and the average density altitude is 4200 feet plus or minus 1000ft. At a sea level track like MIR(maryland) I should be in easy 12s or if I had some drag radials it would be damn close to 12's at my track.
Nice. Havent taken mine up to Gateway yet. Will soon.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 07:23 PM   #101
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind32 View Post
Thanks for the long term review Mousitch. I might have to look into this.

Who else had this done? thekurgan, RobMCoupe how are you enjoying yours?
I had the Bimmerworld tranny mount made of urethane. I get slight vibration when I go in reverse when car is cold. There is a slight vibration coming from the center console when it is over 5k RPM. I have to clear everything from coin holder when I am at Laguna Secca next week to confirm.

My shop chargde me half hour to install the mounts. They removed the exhaust to replace my hangers. I guess this can be done without removing the X-pipe.

After I replaced the tranny mount, my car engine mount bolt broke. I had 30K on my car when this happen. I always have the bolts check every time it goes to the dealer or indy shop. I think the little give the OE mount help prolong my engine mount bolts.

I didn't really have the grind before. It happened to me once or twice and I think it could be my timing. I had no problem last Sunday on a drive. Had it up to 7K rpm and shift to second was smooth. The notchness are more apparent when the car is cold. Once it warms up, it shifts very smooth. I replace my tranny fluid with Redline.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 11:03 PM   #102
vasaline
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster

Quote:
Youll know it when it happens. Trust me. Mine only did it every know and then. Not constant. At full throttle shifting to second at redline.
This is my first manual car, so i'm not sure how it suppose to sound like. Only only grinded once when i was going into 3rd without the clutch full depressed. When i shift into 2nd i usually hear a clicking sound. Not sure it is a grind but it definitely didn't sound as bad and prominent when i grinding accidently in going to 3rd.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 10:51 PM   #103
bobbydole
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M Coupe

Second Encounter with 1st->2nd Grind

Today I was on the San Diego BMWCCA drive event and I want to report my 2nd experience with the 1st->2nd grind. We just completed our rest stop at Kit Carson Park in Escondido, CA. We were pulling out to make a left turn onto a busy street. So we had to carefully watch for an opening to merge in. When I saw my opportunity, I stepped on the gas in 1st gear and headed out to the center divider and then into the opening. I then quickly and completely depressed the clutch and pulled the stick from 1st to 2nd all the way back in one motion....."zzzzzzzzzzzztttttttttttt!" I don't know if this correctly describes the sound, but it's a loud high pitch metal grinding sound; just like the first time I encountered the 1st->2nd grind.

Right after it happened, it caught me off guard. So I pauseda second to evaluate exactly what I was doing. Foot is on the clutch all the way down; shifter won't go into 2nd gear and made a grinding sound.

This time I didn't pay too much attention to the RPM, but I bet it was high (above 5K but definitely below redline) since I was trying to merge into traffic. So here I am, I'm trying to merge and I have to slow down because I have to release and depress the clutch again to retry the shift.

In both times I encountered the 1st->2nd grind, I was pushing the car harder than I normally do. But (in my opinion) not beyond what should be within the car's capability. I wasn't even at redline! I almost never redline. Tried it a few times just for fun, but I never do it in regular driving.

At this point, I've read many suggestions to fix/avoid the 1st->2nd grind issue. Some say change shifting technique (push hard to the left and then down). I will try, but it seems to me that maybe this works for some because the technique slows the shift just enough to avoid the grind.

Some say shift slower. I can attest to this solution. When I shift slower in situations where I think I would have grind, I can feel the shift more notchy than usual. In other words, it's as if it "almost" won't go into 2nd gear, but since I'm shifting slowly, somehow it gives the gears a little more time to line up or something and then finally falls in.

The next thing I'm going to do is replace the tranny mounts like the others have tried and found some success. Hopefully this solves the problem. Now I just need to order the part and find a shop that will do the work for me.

Last edited by bobbydole; 07-11-2010 at 11:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 11:06 PM   #104
bobbydole
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Agree. You definitely will not miss it. It is a loud high pitch metal grinding noise. I need to record the sound one day.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 11:12 PM   #105
bobbydole
Private
United_States
Rep

Rogue Engineering Transmission Mounts from LeatherZ

Is this the tranny mount that will work with a 2007 Z4M?

http://leatherz.com/Merchant5/mercha...3_Transmission

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2010, 11:24 PM   #106
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbydole View Post
Is this the tranny mount that will work with a 2007 Z4M?

http://leatherz.com/Merchant5/mercha...3_Transmission

Thanks
Yep, those work.
      07-12-2010, 12:09 AM   #107
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

I've had it 3 times maybe. Definitely 2 times. Sounds like a dremel cutting wheel. BUZZZZ. It makes my skin crawl. Doesn't sound good at all but I don't believe it happens to me enough to be a concern. Yes I wish it didn't do it at all and I may install those mounts but for the time being, it is a rare happening.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2010, 08:43 AM   #108
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

As you learn how the car wants to be driven, the occurrences will fade away to none. (Unless, of course, you constantly force it and end up damaging something).
      07-13-2010, 07:30 AM   #109
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

It's been exactly 2 months and I have yet to grind on the M. This is likely due to the fact that the Z4 used the same transmission, so it probably helped me adapt to its idiosyncrasies. Getting into 2nd feels very notchy sometimes, but I don't force it into gear and rather apply pressure and almost let it fall into gear. Takes a split second longer maybe, but in the end it ends up being faster.

I have noticed that on some bumpier roads the car has a tendency to jackrabbit more or shift poorly. My hunch is the transmission mounts flexing, but without swapping them out I can't say for sure. Still on the fence about attempting a swap given my utter lack of DIY experience, but don't really want the inconvenience and cost of taking it somewhere to have it done either...
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2010, 08:54 AM   #110
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
The mounts combined with MTL have made a huge difference, especially in the heat. Stop by your local indie shop and feel them out for replacing them; only takes 1/2 hour at the most if they are experienced.