ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-19-2010, 12:21 AM   #1
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Possible that I might have overtightened my exhaust? sound clip

Ok. have one more thing bugging me. Is it possible to overtighten where the header meets the exhaust system? I have them cranked down really good as there is only like 1/8 to 1/4 gap between the clamps. Basically I tightened them down as tight as I could get them. I ran my hand around the pipes and don't feel any gas escaping but it sounds like a light tick coming from under the car. It could be all in my head and it's just the injectors coming in from under the car.

Basically I was wondering if it's possible to get to it to tight and damage the gaskets in between the header and section one. Here's a sound clip of what I hear. Might be normal.

If anyone with a header install can compare their engine sound to mine it would be appreciated.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 07:20 AM   #2
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Can you hear it inside the car or just with the hood popped?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Only on the outside unless I'm driving by a wall or another car and then I can hear some light ticking with the passenger window down. I'm probably paranoid and the car always sounded this way. I checked out the header nuts and they are all tight also. O2's and egt were tightened down good at install. Covered the pipes up too get more pressure and did not notice it get any louder, The tick goes up with rpm also. I honestly believe the tick was there before the install. Just trying to see if anyone else's motor sounds this way. Probably just injectors.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
Rated M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB Z4MC

how many miles? did you have a valve adjustment at Inspection I?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 06:28 PM   #5
Rated M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB Z4MC

Check your receipt.. when BMW does warranty work they usually list the parts ordered for the vehicle.. Might be worth a second look..

That tick sounds like mine did when it needed a valve adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Parts ordered all corralate with a valve job. Dont see any shims though. Im sure they just bought a new kit for general use and did not list it under my parts ordered. Pisses me off if it's a loose valve as I am out of warranty now.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 06:41 PM   #7
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

I'll listen later but as an FYI you will no be able to "feel" the exhaust leak, best thing to do is get a stethoscope, pull the metal probe off and use just the tube as a directional microphone that is extra sensitive to air pulses, lets you find exhaust leaks very quick.
      05-19-2010, 07:10 PM   #8
fatmatt0116
Hooligan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S

that's from the aftermarket headers, mine sounds the same, to me it sounds like a pack of locusts.

2014 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S
2011 X5 5.0 Dinan - SOLD
2007 Imola Red Z4 M Coupe -SOLD
2004 Navy Blue BMW 325Ci
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 07:36 PM   #9
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmatt0116 View Post
that's from the aftermarket headers, mine sounds the same, to me it sounds like a pack of locusts.
Good to know .Just a little freaked out. I really need to get a life

So is your setup loud as all get out? Im sure you need earplugs with the x-pipe too. Im debating putting back on the stock cans for a weekend. Just hate the balls out look.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 07:50 PM   #10
fatmatt0116
Hooligan
United_States
Rep

I had to take off the x-pipe as it caused an annoying drone. It's bearable now...still pisses off the wife around 2000 rpm though, as long as I keep the rpms up then there isn't much of a drone. Don't feel bad I also thought something was wrong with the installation after I put the headers on....the sound is like a metallic clicking....I was definitely caught off guard by it.

2011 X5 5.0 Dinan - SOLD
2004 Navy Blue BMW 325Ci
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 08:27 PM   #11
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch View Post
Good to know .Just a little freaked out. I really need to get a life

So is your setup loud as all get out? Im sure you need earplugs with the x-pipe too. Im debating putting back on the stock cans for a weekend. Just hate the balls out look.
lol... If you ever need a home for the RE Diablo LMK.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #12
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmatt0116 View Post
I had to take off the x-pipe as it caused an annoying drone. It's bearable now...still pisses off the wife around 2000 rpm though, as long as I keep the rpms up then there isn't much of a drone. Don't feel bad I also thought something was wrong with the installation after I put the headers on....the sound is like a metallic clicking....I was definitely caught off guard by it.
Still haven't hooked up the speakers but I think I know what you guys are referring too. Totally normal for a bit of a metallic clicking under the hood after the install. You're hearing more sound make its way through the walls and a slight change in timing.
      05-20-2010, 01:26 PM   #13
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Talked to Vann Reed in St.Louis said they thought it could use a valve adjustment by the way the video sounded. $575 plus shims/gaskets. I hate to do it after it was "supposedly just done. Plus I would have to take a day off from work to get it up there and back as the car needs to be completely cool before the valve job.I agree that the exhaust metallic sound is just the headers. Now Im just going to concentrate on the valve train that seems really noisy at higher rpm's(5000 and up)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 02:41 PM   #14
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Talked to Vann Reed in St.Louis said they thought it could use a valve adjustment by the way the video sounded. $575 plus shims/gaskets. I hate to do it after it was "supposedly just done. Plus I would have to take a day off from work to get it up there and back as the car needs to be completely cool before the valve job.I agree that the exhaust metallic sound is just the headers. Now Im just going to concentrate on the valve train that seems really noisy at higher rpm's(5000 and up)
I wouldn't bother if you think you need to do it just because of the noise with the headers, it's really unnecessary. Get the car really hot, it probably wont make much noise at all.

If you do get it done ask them to write down the clearances as they take them, and if they change any the shim size new size and new clearance, that's what I do for all my customers.
      05-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #15
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post

If you do get it done ask them to write down the clearances as they take them, and if they change any the shim size new size and new clearance, that's what I do for all my customers.
That's the whole issue I have with the dealer. They admitted they never did a valve adjustment on an s54 before mine and did not write down or have any record of shims used(if any). Worthless.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #16
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
That's the whole issue I have with the dealer. They admitted they never did a valve adjustment on an s54 before mine and did not write down or have any record of shims used(if any). Worthless.
Seriously????
You probably found that out afterward, right?
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 03:59 PM   #17
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Yes I did
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 04:07 PM   #18
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
No taking record is not normal, dealers never do that, it's just an above and beyond thing. But them NEVER having done one before is unsettling. I know that the local dealers here hardly ever do it. Regardless doing it because of the new sound from the headers would be a bad choice. Doing it because you know the dealer is incompetent is another thing all together.
      05-20-2010, 04:24 PM   #19
fatmatt0116
Hooligan
United_States
Rep

I wouldn't get the valve adjustment, I would get the ESS tune instead. I have it and the metallic clicking got less prominent over time. Now it just sounds like an exotic race car. Sounds like that guy is just looking for a way to soak you for $600. Think about it, nothing changed on the car except for the headers, how could that create any kind of problem necessitating a $600 adjustment?

2011 X5 5.0 Dinan - SOLD
2004 Navy Blue BMW 325Ci
Appreciate 0