ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-27-2009, 08:02 AM   #1
Prodigy_1978
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.2

Z4 - Clunk when change from second to third?

Hi,

I have a 2004 Z4 2.2, 102k. Over the past few months I have noticed a clunk when I change from second to third, sounds like it is coming from the rear but can not be too sure. Could this be a clutch or a transmission problem?? I am a concerned as I do not want to continue driving if I am damaging the car. Also, I am slightly concerned in getting ripped off?
Any suggestions would be great along with recommendations of a decent mechanic in the Cardiff area (Wales not California).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Prodigy_1978; 09-10-2009 at 06:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
DarKWing
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
Prodigy,

See my thread at http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5783602. I experienced this same clunk much earlier. Sounds like you are out of warranty, but a good transmission shop or independent BMW service center should be able to help you diagnose the problem.

Cheers,

DarKWing
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2009, 02:17 PM   #3
Prodigy_1978
Enlisted Member
Rep

Cheers 'Dark Wing'. I have my Inspection service due soon, so will have to ask the garage to take a look. Hopefully nothing too expensive.

Last edited by Prodigy_1978; 09-10-2009 at 06:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 08:18 PM   #4
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

Hey, I've had the exact same problems lately, but mine was mainly from 1st to 2nd.

It turns out the differential bushings were shot. Thankfully its not a HUGE ticket item to replace them, however with them being shot, that killed my main driveshaft support bearing. Unfortunatley this was a $800 item, over and above the $300 the rear differential bushings.

So thankfully you caught the problem early before it ruined other components within the car.
      09-10-2009, 06:53 AM   #5
Prodigy_1978
Enlisted Member
Rep

Cheers Graham M. There is a slight clunk from 1st to secong, but second to third clunks the most. I am considering booking the car into my small local garage and ask him to quote me for replacing the rear diff bushes. I just hope he knows how to do the work, I don't fancy paying main dealer prices!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 06:04 PM   #6
patameus
Registered
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i, '96 318ti

Specifically

Hey, my '04 has a similar problem that I've been trying to ferret out. The guys in the e46 forum have a pretty good thread going on this which suggests the bushings (also include some good DIY's). Anyway, what kind of sound are you guys hearing? Is it like a dull thud or a clank? Mine sounds like a muted bell being struck, or like a pot being struck lightly in the center.

Some people with our driveline on the e46 forum describe it as a basketball loose in the trunk. I'm just trying to nail this down.

Thanks

Patrick
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2010, 07:39 PM   #7
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

Mine was the rear diffrential bushing. it was shot to hell, not much to replace parts wise, but the labor was brutal. I also just replaced my main driveline support bearing (may be inter-related) and later a transmission rubber mount. That and a new clutch... so $2k later, that had better be the last of any driveline related problems