ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #23
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtMc View Post
^ We really should do something like this. Hudson Valley area maybe... Been thinking about putting something together on the local thread.

^ Gamma i'm with you on this. Really want to hear one or the other in person before hand. And yes it could be the only mod. I hate to think though - spending money just for the sound, and that it actually could hurt performance slightly (Gruppe M).
You guys should do it! Since we did Exhaust 'Fest on this side of the US, you guys should do Intake 'Fest and post a video!

Seriously though, meeting all the forum members and hanging out was a ton of fun. Do it!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #24
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

I'm down for a New England meet!

No problem doing 8-10 hours of driving in one day.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 03:56 AM   #25
rukawa11
Rep
Drives: z4m

I was just about to make this same exact post, glad you got so many answers already! I was also wondering, which would cause the engine start up to growl harder if you were to only upgrade one, the cai upgrade or the exhaust upgrade? Gferil, does the rpi scoop enhance the gruppeM sound or did you just get it for performance, Also what exhaust do you have?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #26
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rukawa11 View Post
I was just about to make this same exact post, glad you got so many answers already! I was also wondering, which would cause the engine start up to growl harder if you were to only upgrade one, the cai upgrade or the exhaust upgrade? Gferil, does the rpi scoop enhance the gruppeM sound or did you just get it for performance, Also what exhaust do you have?
The scoop doesn't enhance the sound, but (I don't have dynos to prove it, but from what I can feel and experience) it did enhance the overall performance of the car at higher speeds (>70mph), felt like the car pulled slightly harder.

As far as more "growl" at start up, definitely an exhaust if you had to choose just one. It won't make the actual engine growl more, but you will get more of a growling sound. From what I've found, intake makes more noise above 5K RPM, exhaust makes more noise below 5K.

My exhaust is a custom setup from a muffler shop, basically a resonator system (similar to Aero Turbine resonators, but cheaper since they were not name brand) in place of the OEM mufflers. Check this thread for more info:

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680796
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #27
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
I like to think of it as the "sizzle" on a steak. When you go to a fancy meal, you pay for the service, atmosphere, the expensive wine, the awesome food preparation, etc. It's not always just about the taste of the food.

I think it's ok to spend a "reasonable" amount of money on our sense of hearing. It's not always just about the speed! LOL!
this is the exact same rationale i was using to try and talk myself into getting the recent gruppe M that just went up for sale here. I def agree with you, I think once I hear one in person, i'll make up my mind at that point. great analogy btw!
      06-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #28
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
I'm not the only one if you search the boards. It wasn't a major difference, only in the slightest. But I can also tell by feel if one of my tires is below psi, so I am very sensitive to changes.
Oh i've been around. The original hubbub about AFE losing power came from the M5 forums, and quickly became the haterz 'buzz' everywhere else. M5 ≠ Z4M.
Other posts here came from a guy who installed an AFE intake and said he noticed a lack of power. A few posts later he revealed that at the same time he installed the intake... he put on 19" boat-anchor replica wheel/tires on all 4 corners - adding an extra 20lbs. Gee.

Bottom line... if you're sold on a GruppeM now and think it will be any different (power-wise) than the AFE you already had... you're mistaken.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #29
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
Oh i've been around. The original hubbub about AFE losing power came from the M5 forums, and quickly became the haterz 'buzz' everywhere else. M5 ≠ Z4M.
Other posts here came from a guy who installed an AFE intake and said he noticed a lack of power. A few posts later he revealed that at the same time he installed the intake... he put on 19" boat-anchor replica wheel/tires on all 4 corners - adding an extra 20lbs. Gee.

Bottom line... if you're sold on a GruppeM now and think it will be any different (power-wise) than the AFE you already had... you're mistaken.
CAI is only for noise. I did the test on the AFE before installation, during and after and my PERSONAL experience was that something was lacking in performance when it was installed.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #30
mpower1226
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi TT

PRM intake have that "growl" sound very similar to GrouppeM but at $150.00 u can't complain.

look up on youtube.
Appreciate 0