ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #1
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

How do I get more of a growl...

I love my Z4M, it is currently stock, but I do wish it had a little more of a grunt and growl to it that is more audible.

I'm not a fan of the raspy exhausts, or the metallic sounding exhausts, but when I had my Z3M with the Conforti CAI, it had such a great, mid-low grunt to it that made it sound amazing. It was perfect, just loud enough but not annoying, but also not trying to be a V8, etc.

The two things I would like is a little more noise, maybe 5% - 15%, and maybe a slightly lower grunt to the sound. Even without the grunt, I think just the stock sound, but a little louder, would suffice.

What I want to avoid is a contant drone, and excessive noise. I would also like to avoid any raspy or metallic sounding modifications.

So which way do I go?

Do I go with just headers? Either supersprint or ebay replicas, ceramic coated, double checked for welding and professionally installed.

Do I go with an exhaust? One of the major manufacturers, or custom, or even Magnaflows?

Do I go with a CAI? I had the aFe CAI installed for a few months, and honestly I didn't like the sound AND I didn't like the performance. I had the Conforti CAI on my Z3M and LOVED it. GruppeM is an option, but an option I would like to avoid due to the price.

Maybe a combination?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

My vote is for either GruppeM and/or SuperSprint exhaust (deep rumble). Headers will make it sound more raspy. I love the sound but it's not what you're going for.
      06-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

Thanks, I had the afe but it sounded "fake" to me. Not bad, just fake. It just didn't seem to be part of the engine. Also, I could notice a performance difference.

I also don't want to spend $3,000 on "noise" though. What would be the best bang for the buck?
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

unfortunately you're SOL if you want more growl but think the AFE sounds too loud/artificial
      06-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

Well, it wasn't really too loud, I guess, maybe I should have phrased it that it wasn't the sound I was looking for.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
Pheonix
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
I have Afe intake, Supersprint Race Cans (with X-pipe) and love how the car sounds. The Afe actually screams louder (than the SS setup) at high RPM.
Look up on the Exhaust Fest and maybe you could figure out which setup you prefer.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta
Thanks, I had the afe but it sounded "fake" to me. Not bad, just fake. It just didn't seem to be part of the engine. Also, I could notice a performance difference.

I also don't want to spend $3,000 on "noise" though. What would be the best bang for the buck?
If u NOTICED a performance difference with the AFE, then you are either superhuman, or had an obvious issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanness View Post
If u NOTICED a performance difference with the AFE, then you are either superhuman, or had an obvious issue.
The car is in tip-top shape. I drove the car for a few weeks, installed it, drove it again, then uninstalled it and I did notice a slight difference. Maybe I have BMW super powers?

I'm not the only one if you search the boards. It wasn't a major difference, only in the slightest. But I can also tell by feel if one of my tires is below psi, so I am very sensitive to changes.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 01:51 PM   #9
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
I have Afe intake, Supersprint Race Cans (with X-pipe) and love how the car sounds. The Afe actually screams louder (than the SS setup) at high RPM.
Look up on the Exhaust Fest and maybe you could figure out which setup you prefer.
If I go with CAI, it would be the GruppeM.

Does your SS give you any low end difference? How does the SS compare to the afe in low RPM?

I've been listening to Youtube videos for a while, but can't really tell the true sound. Too many variables, mic quality, video quality, etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 02:32 PM   #10
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

I got the Stromung Cans installed and it changed the car. Not loud, just more aggressive sounding. I get compliments all the time. The car sounds like a camry when stock (well almost) . I hated hated the fact that it sounded so damn sedate. Now it sounds like a V6 sports car should.
      06-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
Pheonix
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaZeta View Post
If I go with CAI, it would be the GruppeM.

Does your SS give you any low end difference? How does the SS compare to the afe in low RPM?

I've been listening to Youtube videos for a while, but can't really tell the true sound. Too many variables, mic quality, video quality, etc.
I don't think there are anything to gain with the Exhaust. At lower RPM, i could still hear the sucking sound (typical CAI) but the Afe open up and has more of a grow above 5k RPM. Maybe we should organize a CT/NY/MA get together since there are a few of us in the area.

Ricanbandit-our cars have Inline 6 (I6) engine; completely different than V6.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #12
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:

You will not gain noticeable performance with intake or exhaust. Both of those mods are for sound and a tiny bit of weight loss as the stock exhaust is pretty heavy.

Stromung get high marks for sound, but the company is a nightmare to deal with. Lots of horror stores if you search on here, best if you can get them used.

In the end exhaust sound is a very personal thing. See if you can get together with other board members and take a listen for yourself. I recommended SS because it is the deepest of the exhausts I've heard, it has a nice heavy bass to it.
      06-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #13
BIMMERGUY91
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335I M Sport

The Gruppe M is a very nice intake but quite pricey for a noise maker. Thats the only reason I dont have one haha
2007 Z4MC #1019/1815 (Sold)
1997 M3 (Sold)
1991 325i
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #14
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

Yes, I'm not really looking for any performance gains. The car is great as it is.

So the most immediate impact, and easiest to install, would be the CAI, either aFe or GruppeM.

The second option would be either a SS or Stromung used.

Headers wouldn't fit into my category.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 07:14 PM   #15
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanbandit View Post
Now it sounds like a V6 sports car should.
Blasphemy!! lol

I agree with you on the Stromung exhaust, sounds great
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 11:23 PM   #16
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanbandit
I got the Stromung Cans installed and it changed the car. Not loud, just more aggressive sounding. I get compliments all the time. The car sounds like a camry when stock (well almost) . I hated hated the fact that it sounded so damn sedate. Now it sounds like a V6 sports car should.
did u really just say V6? ....smack yourself
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #17
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4-VILLA View Post
did u really just say V6? ....smack yourself
Quote:
Ricanbandit-our cars have Inline 6 (I6) engine; completely different than V6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post
Blasphemy!! lol I agree with you on the Stromung exhaust, sounds great

True true, the shame, of course meant a 6 cylinder sports card should sound. The venerable S54 no less

I spend enough time on that baby detailing the insides of the engine bay to know my iron well. Typo typo, the shame

Last edited by ricanbandit; 06-13-2012 at 09:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #18
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanbandit View Post
True true, the shame, of course meant a 6 cylinder sports card should sound. The venerable S54 no less

I spend enough time on that baby detailing the insides of the engine bay to know my iron well. Typo typo, the shame
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #19
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

I've had both AFE and GruppeM so let me try to chime in here...

I agree, AFE didn't sound "right" in the end...but with that being said, I still think it sounded amazing, and I think perfect for someone that didn't want to do any other mods on the car. The only reason I sold it was cause I got a deal on a used GruppeM and when I installed it I instantly fell in love.

"Growl" is the best way I can describe the GruppeM, and I have a feeling that it is exactly what you are looking for. To make it even better, I'd suggest installing the Option 1 Transmission mounts from UUC. It's hard to explain but the GruppeM with the UUC tranny mounts was such an amazing sound above 4K...I would drive around the city like a complete tool revving high just to hear the GruppeM howl off the high rises, and the UUC mounts added this very raw "growl" to the interior (increases the NVH in a good way in my opinion). To be honest, since I got my exhaust system I kinda miss the unique sound my car made between 4 and 6K that I could hear when I had my stock exhaust. But the low end grunt from my exhaust more than makes up for it!

Anyways, long story short, I know it's pricey, but the GruppeM will most likely fit what you are looking for, and if all else fails you can easily sell it on the forum for close to what you bought it for...and I really do recommend the transmission mounts...not just for sound but because they really tighten up the shifting feel of the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #20
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gferil View Post
I've had both AFE and GruppeM so let me try to chime in here...

I agree, AFE didn't sound "right" in the end...but with that being said, I still think it sounded amazing, and I think perfect for someone that didn't want to do any other mods on the car. The only reason I sold it was cause I got a deal on a used GruppeM and when I installed it I instantly fell in love.

"Growl" is the best way I can describe the GruppeM, and I have a feeling that it is exactly what you are looking for. To make it even better, I'd suggest installing the Option 1 Transmission mounts from UUC. It's hard to explain but the GruppeM with the UUC tranny mounts was such an amazing sound above 4K...I would drive around the city like a complete tool revving high just to hear the GruppeM howl off the high rises, and the UUC mounts added this very raw "growl" to the interior (increases the NVH in a good way in my opinion). To be honest, since I got my exhaust system I kinda miss the unique sound my car made between 4 and 6K that I could hear when I had my stock exhaust. But the low end grunt from my exhaust more than makes up for it!

Anyways, long story short, I know it's pricey, but the GruppeM will most likely fit what you are looking for, and if all else fails you can easily sell it on the forum for close to what you bought it for...and I really do recommend the transmission mounts...not just for sound but because they really tighten up the shifting feel of the car.
That's excellent. Another poster brought up the point that the CAI is for the engine noise and the exhaust is for the exhaust noise. I think the Gruppe M is the way to go.

Since it will be pretty much my only performance mod, I don't mind spending a few extra bux. I do plan on doing the aero sides this fall...just don't tell my wife
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #21
gtMc
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 MC

Garage List
'03 e39 m sport  [0.00]
'08 mc  [0.00]
Quote:
Maybe we should organize a CT/NY/MA get together since there are a few of us in the area.
^ We really should do something like this. Hudson Valley area maybe... Been thinking about putting something together on the local thread.

Quote:
That's excellent. Another poster brought up the point that the CAI is for the engine noise and the exhaust is for the exhaust noise. I think the Gruppe M is the way to go.

Since it will be pretty much my only performance mod, I don't mind spending a few extra bux. I do plan on doing the aero sides this fall...just don't tell my wife
^ Gamma i'm with you on this. Really want to hear one or the other in person before hand. And yes it could be the only mod. I hate to think though - spending money just for the sound, and that it actually could hurt performance slightly (Gruppe M).
      06-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #22
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtMc View Post
^ Gamma i'm with you on this. Really want to hear one or the other in person before hand. And yes it could be the only mod. I hate to think though - spending money just for the sound, and that it actually could hurt performance slightly (Gruppe M).
I like to think of it as the "sizzle" on a steak. When you go to a fancy meal, you pay for the service, atmosphere, the expensive wine, the awesome food preparation, etc. It's not always just about the taste of the food.

I think it's ok to spend a "reasonable" amount of money on our sense of hearing. It's not always just about the speed! LOL!
Appreciate 0