ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-05-2014, 09:29 AM   #1
Juggernaught5
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster

Newbie intro and starter question

Hello All:
Nearly every day, I drive through dealership row on Camelback Road in downtown Phoenix. Lately, there have been a number of Z4s on these lots, and after looking at several, I was romanced by a Black Sapphire 2006 3.0si, 37,000, and very well optioned (M suspension, leather, auto, auto AC, power top, xenons, auto wipers/lights, etc.). This car is stunningly beautiful and fast, as you all know. There are some minor body imperfections that need to be addressed (don't buy a black care at night!), as well as a cigarette hole on the driver's seat and a slight hint of smoke that is still lingering even after a two-day ozone blast. Having been smoked in was almost a deal breaker, until the deal got too good to pass up.

After driving it for a few days, I thought it might have a transmission issue, but it turned out to be shifting normal. The previous owner did not drive it to its potential, and a reset of the adaptive driver memory cured the short-shifting I sensed. Thanks to all who responded to my post about this issue. The site has been a great source of knowledge regarding strut brace squeaks, bluetooth/ipod options, maintenance repairs, and pdf manuals and brochures. I hope to meet local members someday!

I have had another issue pop up. Sporadically, the starter is briefly remaining engaged after the car is running. I've searched the forums and found several potential issues: holding the key too long (possible, as my last car was a Mini with a start button); a worn starter switch; a need to lube the starter gearing; and/or a starter going bad.

I'm teaching myself to release the key quickly. My question: If this is parts-related, is there a self-diagnosis I can complete to determine which might be the issue, other than replacing parts, cheapest to most expensive, or going to the mechanic?

Finally, if you ever buy a car that's been smoked in, be sure to clean the underside of the dash and trim pieces for ash residue. As the attached photo shows, the inside of the console UNDER the ashtray was quite nasty as were the undersides of several trim pieces...

Thanks in advance for your help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

That is a lovely car - congratulations! It seems to me that these cars are typically not truly appreciated until they are in the hands of their second owner. Enjoy!!

And re the starter, is there a decent local dealer or indy shop who could look at this for you without a major charge?

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 09:48 AM   #3
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Awesome car mate, enjoy her to the max. Nice job of cleaning the ashtray, also please don't forget the cabin filter.