ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-17-2012, 02:10 AM   #45
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I've been looking for an iso of the factory DIS CD to see if it has any firmware on it, but not having any luck.
Thought I hit it with the attached links, but it's a multi-part zip and I can't open it with WinRAR or WinZip. I think there may be a part missing or broke.
Attached Files
File Type: txt dis57.txt (130 Bytes, 103 views)
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #46
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I'm in the process of finding out what the last version of the Euro DME is. Since I have euro headers and cats, my setup should be 100% the euro setup.

Going to try flashing that before getting my Evolve-R tune done.

If anyone has a 2008 Euro Roadster, or has a euro roadster and has done a firmware update. Can you please post what version your DME is?
      06-18-2012, 12:51 AM   #47
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

I've been reading this thread on Euro flashing US M3's.
Pretty interesting read.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #48
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Good stuff. Still having trouble finding out the latest versions of the software, both US and Euro. If anyone has a good resource or someone they can ask that'd be great. I also posted the question on the uk forum.

Unfortunately you can't just go by highest numerical value (sometimes the bigger numbers are actually worse) so you really have to know which version to flash on there.
      06-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #49
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

This has me thinking...

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost...7&postcount=10

I too have experienced this a few times at idle - never stalled.
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 01:02 AM   #50
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
Unfortunately you can't just go by highest numerical value (sometimes the bigger numbers are actually worse) so you really have to know which version to flash on there.
What I found on RealOEM would attest to that.

Back on the original topic:
My Wife complained last week that her Suburban was idling slow and died on her while backing out of a parking space. Tore the intake apart and found that the throttle plate had accumulated a ridge of carbon around the edges and there was a corresponding ridge of carbon around the inside of the throttle body. At idle position, it was almost 100% blocked by carbon.
Pulled the throttle body off and spent an hour cleaning it with CRC spray and a toothbrush. Runs like new now.

I wonder if our cars are prone to carbon buildup in the throttle body. I'll have to pop the air box off and have a look.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #51
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
This has me thinking...

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost...7&postcount=10

I too have experienced this a few times at idle - never stalled.
I don't think that's the issue we're seeing, as all his lights were going out not just the idle thing that most of us have experienced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
What I found on RealOEM would attest to that.
I wasn't able to find the version numbers on realOEM, can you link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Back on the original topic:
My Wife complained last week that her Suburban was idling slow and died on her while backing out of a parking space. Tore the intake apart and found that the throttle plate had accumulated a ridge of carbon around the edges and there was a corresponding ridge of carbon around the inside of the throttle body. At idle position, it was almost 100% blocked by carbon.
Pulled the throttle body off and spent an hour cleaning it with CRC spray and a toothbrush. Runs like new now.

I wonder if our cars are prone to carbon buildup in the throttle body. I'll have to pop the air box off and have a look.
That's a good idea. Please update if you find anything. The other culprit could be the throttle position sensor. There's 3 parts to it.

1. Accelerator pedal (if it's bad you need to replace the whole pedal).

2. At the very front of the engine, you can actually see it and it's a 2 minute cheap replacement.

3. Under the intake manifold. Pain to replace and it's a $400 part.

Last edited by beta; 06-19-2012 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #52
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

I gleaned the version numbers from the RealOEM DME part numbers listed here.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 02:52 PM   #53
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Oh gotcha. Those are the hardware part numbers, not software. Compare hardware vs software. The bmwfans.info page calls it "Basic Control DME / MSS70" for hardware and "Control Unit Programmed DME / MSS70" for software.
      06-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #54
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

I had read in another thread that the hardware and software part numbers differed by one number, but it looks more complicated than that.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 11:56 PM   #55
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Tried tonight to flash Euro software and was not able to. Winkfp kept giving errors, configuring this software is complicated. My buddy is going to do some more research and we'll try again soon.
      06-22-2012, 03:25 AM   #56
SmartBastard
Stupid as shit
Austria
Rep
Drives: '08 M Coupe

2 weeks ago I had to take a different gas than what I usually take and the car was driven a lot in the city (lots of red lights). The car died on MANY times! Was worried that I could be the clutch but later it was explained to me that a damage clutch has the opposite effect. After I fully tanked the car with the usual gas I was working fine, until yday when it died once.

I'll let my mechanic check the intake when he's back from holidays.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #57
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep

The most common failure mode for the clutch is it runs out of surface and slips, but it can fail in the opposite mode. I'm real easy on the clutch. At 150k miles the clutch in my Mk1 MR2 started sticking to the flywheel. Still had lots of surface, but the dust from what had worn turned into a paste.
I doubt that's your problem, because you would definitely know it. It would be hard to get in and out of gear, and would buck like a stallion at stops.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #58
j03chu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 SG/IR Z4MR | 07 AW/Blk Z4MC

happened to my car ONCE at a random traffic light probably 18 months ago.

I have Afe hot air intake + rpi scoop...

Hasn't happened again since then.. However, when i first installed the intake + scoopt my engine would stutter once in a while at stops, I'm assuming the DME has learned the increased air?
KWV3 | CCW LM20 | Eventuri | Rogue Engineering short shifter, mounts and exhaust | BMW Motorsports shift knob | mudflaps | stubby antennas
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #59
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

On hot days, usually 35+ degrees celcius this would happen once in a while. Did my valve adjustment and the past few days its been 35+, no issue. Havent stalled or sputtered at lights. Havent done anything else to the car. Same place for fuel same roads and distance.

How long ago were your adjustments? Had a few valves that were out in left field but most normal. Could be unrelated but its the only changed variable.
Appreciate 0